prices among sigmas/galants

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
amgis_obrut

Re: prices among sigmas/galants

Post by amgis_obrut »

woops wrote:The only way our cars would increase in value would be for something like initial D come along and star one in a popular series. The AE86 corolla's went from a 2 grand car to a 10 grand car in only a few years.

Honestly we can look at our cars and enjoy them for what they are. We can sit there in the knowledge that if something drive-line related breaks in our car it won't cost too much to find a replacement due to pretty much all RWD Mitsubishi's having some form or compatibility with the rest. If you own a galant and break a gearbox just shove a sigma one in. Break an engine find a replacement from the many available. If you consider the initial outlay in cost for our cars and the availability of parts it really isn't all that bad.

Maybe you might have a little trouble finding an elusive perfect part but at least it won't normally cost a fortune to pay for it. Consider the RX3 owners where they pay more for a badge then we would for a parts car and their parts cars are the same prices as our immaculate models. Honestly i can't see enough of a difference difference in the style between our cars to justify them being 5 to 10 times what ours are worth. But at least we can sit in the knowledge that we can afford our passion for old school cars and afford to have it look nice without running out of money. Put a galant worth 5 grand beside a RX3 worth 5 grand and i know which one i'd prefer.
i'll take the rx3 thanks
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

amgis_obrut wrote:
woops wrote:The only way our cars would increase in value would be for something like initial D come along and star one in a popular series. The AE86 corolla's went from a 2 grand car to a 10 grand car in only a few years.

Honestly we can look at our cars and enjoy them for what they are. We can sit there in the knowledge that if something drive-line related breaks in our car it won't cost too much to find a replacement due to pretty much all RWD Mitsubishi's having some form or compatibility with the rest. If you own a galant and break a gearbox just shove a sigma one in. Break an engine find a replacement from the many available. If you consider the initial outlay in cost for our cars and the availability of parts it really isn't all that bad.

Maybe you might have a little trouble finding an elusive perfect part but at least it won't normally cost a fortune to pay for it. Consider the RX3 owners where they pay more for a badge then we would for a parts car and their parts cars are the same prices as our immaculate models. Honestly i can't see enough of a difference difference in the style between our cars to justify them being 5 to 10 times what ours are worth. But at least we can sit in the knowledge that we can afford our passion for old school cars and afford to have it look nice without running out of money. Put a galant worth 5 grand beside a RX3 worth 5 grand and i know which one i'd prefer.
i'll take the rx3 thanks
even if you had no cars at ALL?

your not gunna pick a rolla then lol compared to rego galant
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
woops

Post by woops »

A comparison of a galant and a RX3

1974 GC Galant 4 door
Complete vehicle, good condition body, good paint work, running engine, completely original
$810

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1974-Chrysler-Va ... 286.c0.m14

1975 808 aka 4 cylinder rx3 shape 4 door
Rolling shell, dodgy paintwork, most of the chrome and rubbers, missing rear seat clutch cylinder and brake cylinder, partially dismantled and unfinished project
$715

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mazda-808-Rollin ... 286.c0.m14

I'll let you choose which one you think is a better option.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Rx3's are worth money.

Sigma/galants are not.

These threads are embarrassing.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

karl_2ltgc wrote:Rx3's are worth money.

Sigma/galants are not.

These threads are embarrassing.
X2
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

GC75 wrote:
amgis_obrut wrote:

i'll take the rx3 thanks
even if you had no cars at ALL?

your not gunna pick a rolla then lol compared to rego galant

hell yes, I'd even take a PK Ripper looptail BMX FRAME over a complete rego'd running galant

because i know i'll pay $1000 for each but in time i could sell one for $2000 or the other for $500
woops

Post by woops »

I'm not complaining about the value of our cars. It was just a comparison on the value for money we get. The big thing i see for why our cars are worth stuff all is because of the brand name and street cred value. The datsuns have had the 1600 and z series to bring up their names which is why the 180b and the like are going up in value. The rx3 has always been a favourite with the high performance guys because of their rotary engines. But the mitsubishi has always been a car where people always say, my grandma had one of those years ago. The datsuns are losing that image of a granny car cause there are people out there doing them up. There is little street cred for mitsubishi unless you are talking about an EVO.

Heck i know my galant isn't worth much at all but i like the 70's shape and i know i can afford one of these and still afford to do it up to how i want it. I always liked the rx3 shape but for what they are worth i would be afraid to drive it. I see the galant as good value while still getting the old school style.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

got some news for you lot

well i think i may have found a way to push up the price of our cars

We all know about red book right, well this is a price guide that insurance companies dealers and most private buyers turn to to get a rough figure of what to pay

well i was having a look the site the other night and noticed that the sigma turbo was valued between $700-$1600 depending on condition

so i sent them a little email about these cars and their rarity, what they are selling for and that minor damage could deem one of these classics a write off

well they got back to me and this is what thy had to say
The Sigma turbo is a rare beast and we have had a look around for some for sale. There few and far between. We have done some investigating and have reviewed their valuie to $7000 Dealer Retail. Private sale price may be a little lower.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards
Alex Bombaci
Redbook Editor
PO Box 1774 Strawberry Hills BC NSW 2012
Ph: 02 9310 7622 Fax : 02 9310 7455
Email: alex@redbook.com.au
its not much but its a start
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

haha nice work.

see i told you things could be done. (H)

* Private Price Guide $800 - $1,800
Price Guide $4,611*

thats the Galant Coupe... aha

bout to send email ill edit later.
panda

Post by panda »

Is it possible to access the RED BOOK on the internet ? Could make fascinating reading.
Or is it for licenced dealers only.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

panda wrote:Is it possible to access the RED BOOK on the internet ? Could make fascinating reading.
Redbook here....
http://www.redbook.com.au/
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

So by increasing the value, does that also increase the amount its costs to insure each year???

Pros and cons...
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

Factory sigma turbo $9989 OMFG! great news but also extremely bad timing....wish it had happened in another couple of months.
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

TR11KY wrote:Factory sigma turbo $9989 OMFG! great news but also extremely bad timing....wish it had happened in another couple of months.
The price guide is what they cost when they were new....

1981 Mitsubishi Sigma Turbo GH (Jan)

Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $700 - $1,600
Price Guide $9,989*

the private price guide is the current pricing...... Bit under-valued I'd say......
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

oh thank christ... So it hasnt changed yet...

I just flicked up for alook and saw 9k then freaked... A few more months before they update n im happy
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

75wagon wrote:
TR11KY wrote:Factory sigma turbo $9989 OMFG! great news but also extremely bad timing....wish it had happened in another couple of months.

Valuation Prices
Price Guide $9,989*

the private price guide is the current pricing...... Bit under-valued I'd say......
yeah that what i was saying, and why i contacted them

they said theyre going to put it up to 7k but who knows when
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

amgis_obrut wrote:
75wagon wrote:

Valuation Prices
Price Guide $9,989*

yeah that what i was saying, and why i contacted them

they said theyre going to put it up to 7k but who knows when
yer the lad hasnt wrote back to me yet, think he wants me to call him :wut:
woops

Post by woops »

75wagon wrote:I was just looking at the Redbook valuations of 1975 Galants, thought it was interesting that wagons cost more then coupes when new.

1975 Chrysler Galant GL GC Wagon
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $700 - $1,700
Price Guide $4,617*

1975 Chrysler Galant GL GC Coupe
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $800 - $1,800
Price Guide $4,611*

1975 Chrysler Galant Deluxe GL GC Sedan
Valuation Prices
Price Guide $4,342*
Great news all. Redbook has revalued all the galants from what i can tell. Don't think the lancers have been changed at all though.

1975 Chrysler Galant GL GC Wagon
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $1,500 - $3,300
Price Guide $4,617*

1975 Chrysler Galant GL GC Coupe
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $1,600 - $3,600
Price Guide $4,611*

1975 Chrysler Galant Deluxe GL GC Sedan
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $1,400 - $3,200
Price Guide $4,342*

And also just checked the sigma turbo too
was
$700-$1600

Now
Valuation Prices
* Private Price Guide $3,500 - $5,900
* Trade In Price Guide $1,100 - $3,500
Price Guide $9,989*

So that means that my galant that i bought 2 years ago for $1325 is now able to be valued at double that. Better then the stock market. :D Good news for our insurance values thankfully.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

good stuff should keep emailing them ahaha seems that it worked.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

this is confirmation things can be done (H)
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

vr4retrofit wrote:Far out ! :| I thought this thread was going to be nothing but hot air.

Good work on getting redbook to up the values. As a genuine GH turbo owner I thank you. :thumpsup:
im yet to see it on their site, so it may just be hot air

***EDIT*** i just read Woops post

Woo hoo it worked, well there you go if we start at the first place most buyers look we can slowly bump them up, not so good for new buyers but great for current owners

I didnt think my Email was going to have any effect but seems it did :P
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

get me a list of other insurance places and we shall write up more strongly worded emails (H)