suggestions for new car

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
webby

suggestions for new car

Post by webby »

Okies fellas, I'm looking at getting another car so I can pull the GJ off the road. I want RWD, 6cyl, auto and NOT a Commodore or a Falcon.
Suggestions?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
turbosigma

Re: suggestions for new car

Post by turbosigma »

Flame Suit On

new
Hyundai Genesis Coupe - if / when they get here and I no longer need 4 doors.
Nissan - 350

old
Skyline
Magna AWD
3000 GT

edit - Ford 6
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

centura or valiant with 265 4sp :shock:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
panda

Post by panda »

LC/LJ Torana auto. :) ;) :(
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

depends what your budget is like, but yeah Skylines pretty much span all budgets

Or there's the Cressida, Supra, GTO/3000GT, various BMWs and Mercs, Soarer, IS200/300, Hilux, Navara, Rodeo, Ranger/mazda equivalent... mate really depends what your budget and needs are... there are heaps of rwd, auto, 6 cylinder cars
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
webby

Post by webby »

Wow, that was quick :lol:
Budget is maybe 2k if I'm lucky.
Valiant's use too much fuel, unfortunately :( Otherwise I'd be on one like a shot :D
New cars are so far outta my price range it's not funny, as are reg'd Toranas. Which is a shame, as I'd like a UC with a 186 as a daily.
Basically, my list so far is:
MX73/MX83 Cressida (preferred atm)
C210 Skyline
R30-31 Skyline
Z10/Z20 Soarer
Datto 240K/260C/300C
80's BMW 535
If all else fails, I'll pick up one of the numerous Series 1 VN Commodores or EB Falcons around here ;)
Cheers
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

another alternative for such a tight budget would be a Datsun 280zx or even Z31 300zx
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

If you like your older J-Tin, and if you're on here you probably do, I reckon you could do nicely with a series II (but the first released in aus) Toyota supra.

Not so rare that you can't get parts, but uncommon enough to be interesting, 6cyl, rwd, ticks the boxes.

Good looker too, I'm considering one for my next project car.... If that ever happens.

Bit fancy for a run about tho. If you want cheap wheels to dispose of after a while you can't go (too) wrong with a Hyundai excel.
Or a shopping trolley wrapped in foil. Same thing really.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I would highly recommend a MX83 Toyota Cressida. They are a very comfortable car to drive. I got my last one for $2k, but that was with mates rates. You should be able to get one at a decent price if you look around. Expect to pay more for the Grande version that also comes with LSD.

One thing I should add about the MX83. I am not sure if it was just the car I had, or the model in general, but they love to slide. Quite often when taking off at the lights even when slightly wet, a little bit on the accelerator is enough to make it want to step the back end out to the left. Even my mum gave it a bit too much one day and had it going sideways. It also just had the stock 7M-GE in it with an open diff.

Another thing I should add is don't get a S1 VN. They are crap. Get S2 VN or VP at the minimum. Also make sure everything is all working before getting it, or you'll be constantly fixing it. You'll probably end up constantly fixing it even if you get one that is all working ok.
webby

Post by webby »

Yeah I looked at MA61's, but the majority are in the same boat as Toranas ie either rusted out shitboxes or worth way more than my budget allows. Pity really, as I'd love one :)
-Josh.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

When it was time to get another project car, I wanted a GJ+ Sigma or a MKII Supra. There was a MKII Supra up near Gawler. Looked fantastic, but the owner wouldn't let me have it. They ended up selling it this weekend for $1k minus the transmission which is a pretty good price. To get one that is ready to go for a daily driver, I'd expect to pay around $4k. $2k would buy something suitable for a project car.
webby

Post by webby »

The only problem with MA61's other than the price thing is they're missing a pair of doors :P
I need a 4-door as I play darts with my nan, grandpa and aunt, and none of them will ride in a 2-door car. Which rules out Supras, Celicas, Starions, Scorpions etc, and I'm still on my P's, which rules out turbos/superchargers/V8's etc. Sucks, really, 'coz there's a nice original GX71 Mark II down the road from Nan's for 2.5k, which I could probably stretch to if needed.
Cheers
-Josh.
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

mate just get a falcon/commie then. simple, cheap and easy, and if you're just gonna flog it off when your sigma is ready again, who cares.. besides, they're really not that bad cars, especially when you just need a 4 door A-B car
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

trust me mate if you want more torque than you can poke a stick at get a centura with a 4sp. you can sit on the brake all day if ya want.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
webby

Post by webby »

Problem with Centuras is that there's none around here, and I don't think my budget will stretch to fit a decent one. I don't wanna flog it off after the GJ's on the road 'coz like I said earlier, none of my rello's I play darts with will ride in a 2-door car. I'm going to look at a reg'd MX83 Cressida today, with a bit of luck the ole 7MGE won't have a BHG :P
Cheers
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't get it.
You want to pull your sigma off the road to do it up, but you want to replace it with a 6 cyl. Why does it have to have 6 cyls?
Are you planning on keeping this car you buy after you do up the sigma, or is it just a make do till it's done?
I would go and buy the cheapest roadworthy car with rego I could find, then throw it away when your done.
Spend the least you can, then you've got more money to spend on the Sig.
The more money you have then the less time you'd have to drive the shitter for.

You could always buy another Sig? Then strip it and keep the parts or sell 'em......
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
webby

Post by webby »

OK. Just to explain for those who can't read, I'm going to keep it after i finish the Scorpion because I need a four door car for daily use. Scorpions are pains in the arse to find parts for, and I don't want to be getting reamed every time I need a Scorpion-specific part.
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Sorry mate missed that one sentence.

Still the question stands, Why a 6?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

You could always do a V6 sigma. Everybody seems to think they cost less than 2k to do. :roll:
webby

Post by webby »

'sok dude, was a bit testy yesterday :D
Anyways, I want a 6 because I have to cart my 3 teenage sisters plus all their associated crap to school, and I also have to cart three slightly (:roll:) overweight elderly rello's to darts every week. The Magna was struggling under the load so I figure I'd be best off getting something with a fair whack of torque straight outta the box.
S1GMARE - Come on, dude. I may live in bogan central but I'm not infected yet :lol:
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

How cheap are v6 magna's now?
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

75wagon wrote:How cheap are v6 magna's now?
Ive seen 99 model for $500 with heaps of rego they dont really hold their value only thing that sucks about mitsis
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Depends whether you're buying or selling i suppose.

Magna's- you get a lot of car for little money.

Got to be the best value out there?
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Camrys aint bad either i got a 94 model fully optioned complete alpine system worth $2500 for a total of $1786 with 12 months rego.

i used to bag them out but after driving 1 there not to bad a car for what you pay infact there fukin awesome as a comfy, cheap, fuel efficient etc. Id defintately recommend it as a keeper parts are cheap and heaps readily available.

webby

Post by webby »

Umm, FWD=epic failz in my book. Knowing myself as well as I do, there is a likelihood that the Scorpion will become the daily while the car I bought for that purpose becomes the project :P Which is why I've been looking at Cressida's. Lot's of car for not much money, RWD, and halfcuts with better engines (1JZ, 1GGZ/TE etc.) are cheap :D Plus, I has an arseload of Toyota bits n' bobs, and they never break, unless you use the factory head stud torque settings. BHG, here we come :lol:
-Josh.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I hear you....
They are awesome cars.....potential that is.

I'm not fond of front drive either.
I have 1 but prefer rear.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

yeh i do agree fwd does suck i absolutely hate them usually but if there was a car out there that ticked all the boxes ur asking for we would all be driving it remember no car does every job perfect so pick 1 that does what u most need it to do if the scorps your project your pride and joy dont buy something that will distract you and cost money.

Prime example is my collection of cars i bought the 4runner as a weekend getaway car ive spent more money on it than i intended on spending doing the scorp up and ive only had it just over 2 weeks. Where as the camry is just a daily and theres no way in hell id spend money doing it up its a fwd so itl never do wat i want it to be smart man dont walk urself down the wrong path especially if your tempted easily like me.

S1GMARE

Post by S1GMARE »

I agree too. Let's face it FWD is crap. But if you can look past that, a Magna V6 would be a good alternative. I have at TJ V6 Magna daily driver and it's very reliable, good on fuel and I've towed cars no dramas.
I honestly can't believe people buy AU falcons over them????
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

R31 Skyline.
Thats my old one that I gave to my old man when he wrote off his ef falcon(has different wheels now).
There super tough, reliable, parts readily available and cheap as. They drive well and are quite comfortable for a late 80's thing plus heaps of performance options such as factory LSD's and you can always bang vlt stuff on it or put in later model RB turbo motors. You can tow with em, they turn and stop better than any falcon/commodore of those years(and about 10 years later nearly :D)
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Seriously,
You can only buy what is for sale.
Rear drive without looking at 'falcodores' are slim pickings if you want something newer then the '80's.
I do like my '05 lancer VRX wagon. But it shits me too.
Front drive spins too easy, and chop out front tyres bad.
Good for the wife and going on holidays.

Give me my Galant wagon anyday.

R31 Skyline.
This is probably the newest car that fits your description. They're cheap and easy to get (i think).
What are they like for rust?