Which motor for my track car?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.

Which motor?

Yet another 2.6
50%
3SGE
8%
16v SOHC 4G64
17%
Something else I haven't thought of lol
25%

Total votes: 12

webby

Which motor for my track car?

Post by webby »

Okies, I have an old 2.6 GH Scorpion shell sitting around doing nothing, so I figure instead of beating the GJ to a pulp I'll build a track only car :)
I've got pretty much everything worked out except what motor/gearbox to use. Ideally I want to use an NA DOHC 4cyl motor that isn't a 4G63. They've been done to death.
I like the 3SGE at the moment, 'coz they're cheap, fairly common and I like the noise lol
Anyways, help a brother out and give me some ideas!
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
karl_2ltgc

Re: Which motor for my track car?

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Maybe you should decide what class your going to run in first.
Improved production? 2.6 off its face with cam/efi will go alright in IP over 2ltr
woops

Post by woops »

For the best potential engine i would probabally say to go for a 2.4L 4g64 16V twincam turbo. But that all depends your budget, L300 4g64 6 bolt wide block or hyundai sonata 4gcs 2.4L narrow block, N/A galant big port head and combine with vr4 oversize pistons.

Work out what class to run in and then decide on the engine you want.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
webby

Post by webby »

Track car as in unregistered, uninsured skid/drag hack, guys. I'll never be able to afford to run in IP unless Woolies gives me a super huge payrise lol
Anyways, I've got a couple low km 3SFE's, a dead 3SGE, a good 18RB, two smoky Buick V6's, two stuffed FJ20DE's, a rebuilt SOHC 4G63 with a SOHC 16v head from a 2.4L Magna and a BDA Cosworth block with a hole in it laying around so I'll do some fiddling to see what fits.
I'll be using a Supra 'box with a weldy 3.308 Scorpion diff.
Basically I'm going to use what I've got laying around here, so as to save as much money as possible. Shouldn't be a problem, as I've got a LOT of stuff :P
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

L67 conversion:
aka use that Buick 3800 and shove an M90 supercharger on it

http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=16

I've got one of these chargers arriving in the mail in a couple days, but for a 2.6 wideblock :twisted:
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

webby

Post by webby »

It aint happening now, I found some fairly major structural rust that the previous owner had bogged up and painted over :shock:
So I'm wrecking it. You want any bits PM me :D
-Josh.
A112H

Post by A112H »

My vote was for "something you hadn't thought of"
Depending on what sort of track car you are looking for, I would be doing this if I had the time.
"The Dignity featured Mitsubishi's 8A80 4498 cc V8, a 90-degree aluminium-block GDi engine producing 280 PS (206 kW) at 5000 rpm and 412 N·m (304 lb·ft) at 4000 rpm" Quote - Proudly stolen from the interweb.
They made the Dignity and the V8 from 1999 to 2002 or there abouts. Would be a mad machine in a Scorpion.
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

id love to get my hands on an 8A80 one of these days!
nice twin turbo V8 galant coupe :), i think there the same weight as the V6s and only a tiny bit longer, so should fit no probs.

but to answer you q, i have no idea, what you should do, I dont think any options are super cheap. If you cant afford to run IP you cant afford to build the car at all :)
A112H

Post by A112H »

When MMAL made the AWD Magna's, they remembered that a diff can go in the back too and put their hands up for V8 Supercar consideration. Unfortunately they were knocked back, or it was going to cost too much , or whatever.
The point of my story is that had they gone into V8 supercars we might just have had RWD Magna's with the 8A80 sitting proudly up the front.
Would have been nice, but shit happens!
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

im pretty sure part of the problem is they must run a pushrod V8,
shits me, i wish they got to run the currant engine setups.
webby

Post by webby »

Rallyant-It was going to be something for me to thrash around on track days without worrying about stacking it, but I can see your point
Cheers for the replies, fellas
-Josh.
Rallyant

Post by Rallyant »

I think the 2.6 are the cheapest thrash option, as well as std mits gboxes for them.
but if you already have other motors that might b cheap too
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

Galant_GT0 wrote:When MMAL made the AWD Magna's, they remembered that a diff can go in the back too and put their hands up for V8 Supercar consideration. Unfortunately they were knocked back, or it was going to cost too much , or whatever.
The point of my story is that had they gone into V8 supercars we might just have had RWD Magna's with the 8A80 sitting proudly up the front.
Would have been nice, but shit happens!
Very good point made.

Its funny how the guys at mitsubishi were put into a make or break situation with the 380 and failed when all they had to do was make the damn thing rwd.