Has anyone built a Drift Car from a Early Mitsu?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75wagon
Admin

Has anyone built a Drift Car from a Early Mitsu?

Post by 75wagon »

I've seen a few builds hinting this is where members are aiming, but has anyone actually built a successful early Mitsu that can Drift?
If so could I possibly see some action shots? This would be a great thing to add to the site.
So, anyone out there got one?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77galantv6

Re: Has anyone built a Drift Car from a Early Mitsu?

Post by 77galantv6 »

my mate used to have a scorpion with an sr20 in it,

but i cant find any photos of it, wasn't really a mitsu drift car
was more of a mitsu shell over a drift car lol....

used to slide well (being longer helped with stability) untill he wrapped it around a tree
now the engine resides in an s13 (the drift video i posted....)

will have to chase him up for pics
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

all in time mate.... all in time :P :P :P
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

lancer or the stazza loran??
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

haha starions dont drift, learnt that the hard way.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

gk wagon into tree :$
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

one day...when im out of debt and have a garage :P
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

Not drifting I know but still sideways

MATNES

Post by MATNES »

not built to be a drift car but my old LC Lancer drifted nicely when asked

i have a vid but it is more the RALLY driver within than a drift.......note the lack of power from the stock motor just as it goes behind the tree

MATT
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I think that puts you in pole position at the moment MATNES.
What's in that Lancer, it sounds like a 1600?

Stories are good, but video proof is better. Shame no smoke, but it's the closest so far :thumpsup:
This is looking good too mbrallying, but same as MATNES, blatant lack of smoke... Wheel up looks cool though :thumpsup: Even cooler with the sign in the background...

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
MATNES

Post by MATNES »

at that stage it was a old 1600cc motor with a 32/36 weber. smoke started to blow out the back a few months later.....but i have no pic's of that sorry.

MATT
mbrallying

Post by mbrallying »

Dave

The lack of smoke probably has something to do with all the debris on the road (turn right onto tar from gravel) aswell as the 120 odd horses and rally tyres.

Its very very rare that we see any tar at all!!

Mark.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I'm not trying to play down your cars performance or your driving skill Mark.. Great shots BTW. :thumpsup: I wonder how it would go at drifting? I believe, when drifting first started to take off in Australia that a lot of guys took their rally cars and had a crack at it. I remember seeing a pic of a 120Y sideways with a wheel up at a drift event.
Here's a pic of a rally car having a crack at a drift event. I couldn't find the pic of the 120Y.
75wagon wrote:I've seen a few builds hinting this is where members are aiming, but has anyone actually built a successful early Mitsu that can Drift?
If so could I possibly see some action shots? This would be a great thing to add to the site.
So, anyone out there got one?
I should have rephrased the original question. Does anyone have a purpose built drift car from any early Mitsubishi product?

I know a lot of members here have rally cars, and all of them or most can hang sideways. But what I'm after is confirmation that someone has actually built a drift car. That is trying to compete in drift competitions even if it's in the fledgling stage? I've seen Gemini's and early Corolla's, so why not a Galant, Lancer, Scorpion or Sigma?
There have been quite a few members get on here and say, it's what they are trying to do. So where are they (and no I'm not referring to Driftforlife), even progress shots of what they are up to in their build?

Issue one of Driftbattle magazine has a compiled list of cars that they think are driftable. They list the Sigma and Starion, here's what they say:
Mitsubishi
Sigma 2.6 or 2.0 Turbo
$2000 - $8000

A fairly daggy option, but certainly cheap and easy to repair. With some modification, the 2.6 will deliver reasonable power. There are a few factory and aftermarket turbocharged cars floating around. So long as you can find an LSD, these should make the grade.

Starion
$7000 - $12000

The Starion qualifies, as it is rear-wheel-drive and has a 2L turbo engine, but will be difficult to get parts for (especially an LSD) and they are becoming more expensive due to rarity. An interesting base, if you are willing to do a lot of modification, though, especially as the Evo engines can be swapped in.

Remember: this is quoted from the magazine, not what I think.

From what I've seen from cars on this site, and from the power some of the members are getting from these cars, there should be no problem building a drift car from a Sigma or Scorpion, at least (in my opinion) they have a better rear end set-up to start with (in other words, not leaf spring).

Dave...
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

ive allways been keen to go out to mallala and have a go, and now that ive dinged the front allready. if noone buys it ill probably strip it and attempt to build some form of motorkhana/drift car with it.

its definitely got the powers to do it, but therell be a lot of suspension playing required as it likes to swing the back round too far if your not careful, that and the steering angle/geometry isnt very good on lock.
Insert witty one liner here -->
A57C

Post by A57C »

did you see this posted in random lancer pix?

75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I remember seeing that....forgot about it..... thanx.

Dave...
city hunter

Post by city hunter »

man that lancer is nice. Starions drift just fine with stock blown out suspension to a point. I thikn a scorpion would do well with the 4 link. I'll let you know as soon as I get a lsd machined down for it. Right now it does very nice one tire fires without wheel hop, but thats about it.

Doing about 60 with bone stock suspension. I may have had my strut bars in at the time. It really didnt feel like I was body rolling that bad :facepalm: This was back in dec 2001

73 galant coupe, 78 Lancer coupe, 84,85, and 86 ex1800 turbos, 87 minicab van supercharged, gto vr4, 4 starions. swb montero, mighty max, 88 cordia turbo. 65 debonair
80's Hero
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Billsy wrote:ive allways been keen to go out to mallala and have a go, and now that ive dinged the front allready. if noone buys it ill probably strip it and attempt to build some form of motorkhana/drift car with it.

its definitely got the powers to do it, but therell be a lot of suspension playing required as it likes to swing the back round too far if your not careful, that and the steering angle/geometry isnt very good on lock.
From just about everything I've read on the subject, I think that if you increased the turn lock, then that should pretty much fix the back swinging around too much. Look at the steering lock on the Lancer in the little movie snippet. That and an LSD, if you don't already have one. That should make it predictable and much easier to control...
But as I said, that's just what I've picked up from reading copious amounts of topics on the subject, no actual experience with it. Not unless you included RC drifting as experience anyway...

DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

With regards to an LSD being required, its more about your style of driving and car control whether or not you'd benefit over a locked diff, but the standard ones just won't cut it

I've tried handbraking my scorp around a corner just for the fun of it, got to about a 45 degree angle and smacked my helmet onto the side of the roof, scratching it :P
Bloody fun, but with an open diff it snaps back unexpectedly.

Once I'd gone around a 90 degree sharp corner that had some loose gravel so i just planted it and turned in hard, got quite sideways out the end but then once the gravel disappeared my outside rear wheel gripped SO fast and just flung it back the other way off the road and into the shrubbery. If I didn't have to turn the steering wheel so many times to bring it straight again it might have worked

Plus after testing out a car with a basic cone type LSD, and then one that was welded.. I gotta say the welded was so much easier to drift

I remember seeing something a while ago about certain 4wd diffs that have a pneumatic locker. Just flick a switch in the cabin and compressed air somehow forces a piece in that locks the spider gears together. :thumpsup: Would be perfect for a streetable drifter

-
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

webby

Post by webby »

Scorpions are a good base IMO, despite the lack of aftermarket performance parts like lsd's, suspension etc
long wheelbase, 4-link etc make it a fairly stable platform with decent handling. That's from my experience, anyway lol
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

that stazza is tuff as
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

DragonCypher wrote:Once I'd gone around a 90 degree sharp corner that had some loose gravel........
...after testing out a car with a basic cone type LSD, and then one that was welded.. I gotta say the welded was so much easier to drift

So did you test the 2 different style centres on Dirt or Tar?

DragonCypher wrote:With regards to an LSD being required, its more about your style of driving and car control whether or not you'd benefit over a locked diff
Im no expert on Diffs,
but from my experiences with locked diffs (welded)
Yes they are easy to contol on Dirt.
As both wheels are spinning at the same speed.

But on Tar, you need a hell of alot more power to get both wheels spinning.
and therefore puts more strain on your driveline.

when you are on a grippy Tar surface, The 2 wheels turning together in a straight line, tends to want to keep pushing you in a straight line when you try to turn a corner.
Giving you really bad understeer.

So i found to get it to loose traction you need to bring the car in at a very aggressive angle, and rev it and Dump the clutch,
Which makes the car suddenly Jack the back end across, and suddenly you need to be on full opposite lock to try to catch the back end...

And to be able to do that and be able to hold it sideways, i had to start it sliding at much lower speeds...

They are a Cheap way to have fun, but not the best on Tar.
And they will shear Axles, and over time damage your Gearbox.

A 4wd Air locker is simply a more expensive version of a welded locker, but you can disengage the Locker for the Street....
They work for 4wds because they are going at slow speeds over loose terrain that allows for the wheels to slip and skid slightly and dont wind up the Axles as badly.

LSDs are more expensive, but require less HP to start spinning,
As they allow one wheel to start slipping and then engage the 2nd wheel, which makes it easier to start spinning, and puts less strain on the driveline.
They are easier to hold sideways at higher speeds (once you get the hang of them, took me awhile)
and you have it on tap at all times.

There would have to be a good reason why all the top end Drifters Use Mechanical LSDs and not save themselves money and just Weld up stock diffs.....

Just a thought
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

blowthrugj

Post by blowthrugj »

pic in the build topics
hmas dragon boat
stealth

Post by stealth »

There would have to be a good reason why all the top end Drifters Use Mechanical LSDs and not save themselves money and just Weld up stock diffs.....

Just a thought[/quote]
dan the big differance between a full spool and a mecanical 2 way lsd (like the "drifters use" cusco )
is that there adjustable for slip in both directions !
when you crossed up with a spool ,you back off it will turn around
with a 2 way adjusted properly there is nothing there when you back off ,hence you dont turn it around makes life a lot easyier
know what i mean ,like a two stroke no compression decelaration!
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

That is a cool lancer on utube :thumpsup: