Astron 2.6 EFI conversion

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
LuDiChRiS

Astron 2.6 EFI conversion

Post by LuDiChRiS »

Hey guys, New member here, Ive been searching through the archives looking for information on what it would take to set up EFI on my sigma

Ive seen Trikky post an indepth post on this, but i have some noob questions,

I read you can get a TN- P efi magna, but how simple is it to hook up? and roughly how much $ would i be looking at spending? is the fule saveing, and power gaining going to be significant? or should i just stick with my current set up which is :

A 5spd manual, rebuilt astron 2.6 that has been bored out, head shaven, ACL pistons, tighter vavle springs, extractors, it has a double barrel webber, and already has an electric fuel pump setup.

Thanks guys

Just finnished cutting out all the rust and respraying it a few months ago...
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: Astron 2.6 EFI conversion

Post by EVL076 »

welcome aboard :D

the $$ factor comes down to how much you wanna spend really...

if you dont mind spending some cash:
we have a member here (stealth) who can make just about anything you want
so you get a full custom set up - like i have gone with my Galant :P
(8ltr plenum, 80mm t/b)

or if you wanna stick to a budget:
you can just get the magna plenum "cut n shut" to suit rwd
and run std magna ecu and injectors etc etc

standard magna set up, you should get away with it easily for under a grand
bear in mind, you will need an EFI high pressure pump and a surge tank

custom set up? best to pm stealth directly and get all the answers you need
straight from the horses mouth :thumpsup:

do you have future plans for a turbo? or just stick with the EFI?

or just slam a pair of 45mm DCOE Webers on it :P :P
Image Image
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I can't remember the exact numbers, but going from Carbie to EFI should be an increase of around 10-20kW. As for fuel economy, my old Sigma with a 2.6L Astron I, that was getting around 11L/100km, and a TR Magna EFI gets around 8L/100km. I am not sure how much my EFI conversion has cost me so far, but I know it has been much cheaper than dual Webers, but a lot more work has been involved.
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

very nice gh mate i think ive actualy seen if before in vic.

as for the conversion that EVL said is pretty much what you can do and as for getting the parts keep an eye out for cheap magnas i managed to pick up a TS magna with the later model injection gear for under 200 bucks and then like evl said you can mod the plenum for rwd or get a stealth made one its upto you, And are you considering turbo aswell or just NA for now ?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

LuDiChRiS

Post by LuDiChRiS »

Thanks guys, Yes i am in Vic you probably have seen me drivin around, not too many GH's that colour :D

The Car is my daily, and the main reason for EFI conversion is to make it cheaper to run. so yeah i think ill go the cheapest option which sounds like buying a cheap magna and using its stock parts. Is the stock magan EFI multi point?

I don't know what type of electric fuel pump i have and if it would or wouldn't be able to handle the pressure.

A turbo set up would be awesome, but i don't really wanna spend alot, realistically if i could get EFI and a turbo for around or under a grand I do it. I was thinking i could get a magna head with EFI and stock chip (for now) for about $400 from a wreckers, am i dreaming? and i found this turbo kit on ebay for around $500:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubis ... ccessories

But i don't know much about turbos, is this a good set up? and If i had EFI (from a magna) would it bolt on no worries? Sorry for the noob questions, haven't ever worked with EFI or turbos before.

Thanks for the replies
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

this has been covered many times mate...but a quick answer for you..with a magna manifold...the throttle body is at the wrong end and you will need to have it cut off and moved to the other end...there is a few ways to get around this problem...but i think that is the easiest...and your pump needs to be high pressure...and then ofcourse there is all of the wiring to go with it...but you should try the search function...or skim through the forum listings for answers
LuDiChRiS

Post by LuDiChRiS »

No worries mate, thanks. I did look through the past post, but just wanted some basic questions answered to see if its worthwhile doing. Thank for that :)

any thoughts on that turbo kit?

Cheers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

At the moment I am using a fuel pump from a VL, the Bosch 050. The 070 is better, and would be good either with NA or turbo. the ebay auction is from the US, and their 'Sigma' is a 'Magna' here. I got all the parts for my EFI conversion from U-Pull-It, a self service wrecker. That way is ok, but could be cheaper if you could find a cheap or wrecked EFI Magna, and get the parts from that. Probably best to look for a Manual Magna as then you wouldn't have to worry about the computer for the auto transmission.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

that turbo kit is 400 U.S, plus another 400 U.S to ship it. $800 U.S is just under $900 in our coin (depending on the rate)
so its a lot to weigh up.

i would look local. i sold my draw thru kit for $1400, but that had a fresh reco'd turbo
factory kits/parts do pop up, and some can be had for a great price.
but some ppl think they are gold and try to charge way more than what its really worth..
based on the limited numbers (500 siggy turbos)
Image Image
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

yeah it does not cost much at all to mod a plenum to suit rwd if you have troubles finding a magna i have a TS in my backyard with complete efi setup on it i was going to use it but prob wont anymmore so if you get stuck i may be able to help you out but if your close to pick a part then you can always grab what you need from there, where you located in vic ?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

LuDiChRiS

Post by LuDiChRiS »

Yeah postage on that turbo kit was quite a bit, and you're right, stock turbos are hard to find and over priced. I think the turbo is something to be done at a later date, for now just EFI, thanks for the response, and links. looks like its fairly simple to convert.

Im in StKilda, not too far from the City. I have some family in baccas marsh, is the TS manual u have manual? does that make much difference, I'd probably wanna get a aftermarket chip anyways yeah?

Do you guys meet up for cruises at all?
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

most other states cruise a bit however us Vic guys not so much cause our cars are always off the road :(
and now its an auto TS however if you plan to run a aftermarket ecu it wont matter i mean i advise it since i means any upgrades of turbo or anything later down the track will be easy.

i have nearly finished my 2.6 efi turbo conversion on my gsr so im hopin in the next month ill be going maybe 2 and then ill try and get a melb meet going.
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

LuDiChRiS

Post by LuDiChRiS »

Awesome man, let us know when its back up n running, be keen to see it. and meet up with other sigma fans!

I might go looking around the local wreckers on the weekend for ideas on price/availability of parts. I wouldn't mind checking out that TS you've got tho too one day.

Cheers :thumpsup:
ralliartsigma

Post by ralliartsigma »

Welcome and nice GH, i had a GN wagon that was nearly the same colour once upon a time.

I picked up a 2.6 TR Magna motor with the plenium already converted with ECU, injectors, full brand new ACL gasket set, loom etc etc etc for about $200 from a guy who was going to drop it in a Pajero but ran out of motivation.
Also found a full TS EFI setup (minus the block) at the scrap metal yard in a scrap alloy drum : $40
Also bought my Draw thru turbo setup off Brett (EVL076) for $1400 (H)
But the 2.4lt efi conversion had crossed my mind back when I had my LB Lancer... I couldve got a MK triton that had been sideways into a tree at auction for $1000.
Alot of knowedge and help to be found on this site, a must for any old mitsu owners tool box! as for parts... you just need to keep your eyes and ears open, the more people know you have a sigma the more boxes of parts (shit) you'll collect.

Cheers Trent
'83 GJ Wagon my baby, but sadly not driven enough.
'94 MJ Triton my daily in the colder months.
'81 GH Turbo No. 105 (WIP)
'81 GH Turbo No. 017
LuDiChRiS

Post by LuDiChRiS »

Thanks man, and thanks for your help, love the quick replys on this forum. good to know i can get a cheap EFI system if im lucky. As for collecting boxes of shit, i have quite a few myslef filling up space in my dads garage. everything from interior bits and pieces to stock parts fule pumps ect. Ive even got a crome rocker cover for an Astron 2 or 2.6 ( took it off coz it had some minor bubbleing in the crome but still looks good) should put a list on ebay.

Love the link TUFSIG has to his step by step history of upgrades to his GSR, I think ill do the same.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

check out my build thread mate if you want to see a cut and shut magna manifold. i reckon for a grand you could get the magna efi stuff and get it going(this is non turbo)

and cottees a vlt pump is a bosch 070 :thumpsup:
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.