insurance

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
scorplover

insurance

Post by scorplover »

Guys how do you go with insuring your modified cars? Namely, if you stick a 2.6 in a galant and modify it, such as a turbo or webers and lowering with modified front struts? Or do you just drive around without insurance and take your chances?
75wagon
Admin

Re: insurance

Post by 75wagon »

Try Shannons. I have every mod on my car listed with them. I know my mods aren't really for performance but they've listed the carbs and Recaros. I'm very happy with the policy I have, agreed value and salvage option.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I have all our cars and our home and contents insurance with Shannons, they are awesome they even cover motor vehicle related collections like magazines, models, matchbox cars and so on for up to $10,000 for FREE http://shannons.com.au/insurance/home/?2473PSEM . My Hardtop is covered under their 'layed up' policy designed for cars getting rebuilt and they had no problem covering me for the 4G63, my Jap tail lights or the bigger wheels. They even said that once the car is done if I was using it for approved track work from time to time they will cover my extra set of wheels with race tyres on them, lol.
You may have luck with Just Cars, but they are way more fussy than their tv ad suggests and would never insure the cars they feature on the ad's. They didn't want to look at my VR4 and that was stock with 18's but because mine was one of about 8 in the country at the time and they didn't have a clue post 1996 VR4's even existed so they said no.
I rang Shannons and they already had the model listed on their system, had a price worked out (which was to low so I took it to a Shannons office, they inspected it and we agreed on a higher price) and they covered it fully comp for about $900 a year.
I think the Hardtop is about $150 a year as 'layed up'

Having re read this I just want to add that I do not work for Shannons or know anyone who does, lol. It just sounded like an advert for them, but I am really impressed with what they offer and at great rates
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

On a tip from a list member :) I recently called Shannons or a quote and it all seemed to be going well till I told them the car was for sale. They dont cover cars that are for sale. But apart from that, if you need insurance they seem good.
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
scorplover

Post by scorplover »

Thanks for the help guys. I tried a couple of "average" insurers now happy with the response on modified vehicles. Will give them a call.
woops

Post by woops »

+1 for shannons.

I was previously with Just car with my sigma with modifications as at the time shannons wouldn't insure anyone under 25.

I had problems with them when i had a claim against me. It was for a minor accident where a i was going past a queue of cars going slow and i was doing the speed limit in my lane. I saw a postie bike style motorbike look beside him to see if the lane was clear but he didn't check his mirrors when i was about 15 meters away. I hit the brakes imediately but wasn't able to stop in time due to the wet road. Anyways i hit him hard enough to bend his rear guard onto the tyre and knock him off the bike which resulted in him tumbling forward and his bike sliding along behind him. The only damage to my car was a small crack in my headlight surround and the bumber pushed back about 3cm. No panel damage or bolts broken at all. He was fine but a bit shaken but me being a nice guy helped him out moving the bike off to the side of the road. Found out that he was pretty local so i ended up giving him a lift him after swapping the sigma for my ute and even helped him get his bike back home. I even gave him a lift to the hospital after his mum insisted that he should get checked out, (she was in the middle of painting her interior of the house an "wasn't able to take him".

Anyways dropped him off there and made sure everything was alright and didn't hear from him again.

I called Just car in the next few day to alert them that i had been in a collision and told them all those details but i wasn't seeking to make a claim at all but and i didn't expect a claim to be made against me. i thought it would be best to still inform them just in case.

Anyways I got a letter of demand in the mail claiming $1400 in damage. I contacted just car and told them that i had recieved the notice and that i was not at fault for the accident to which they agreed but they still said i had to pay the excess to have to claim proceed forward and they would refund the excess once the claim had been finalised. I was a bit dubious about and and asked them to clarify it again. Anyways i delayed paying the excess as long as i could possibility and then finally paid it. About 2 months went by and i heard nothing back from them so i contacted them to find out what the situation was with the claim and they told me they had settled.

I was understandly pissed off and questioned them about why and they just pretty much tried to palm me off. I ended up hanging up after going nowhere and wnet and did some research as to what my options were. I found out enough that you can put an objection in to firstly the insurance company's ombudsman about the claim and the next stage is the the ombudsman for all of the insurance company's (i think government regulated).

I wrote a letter saying about how i wanted them to fight the claim as i wasn't at fault and gave them all the information needed to do so. I even went into all the details about maximum stopping distances and recomended traveling distances. I even went into high school physics mode and calculated all the distances from the speed and and showed i had no chance of stopping even in dry conditions. They eneded up refunding the $1200 excess 10 days later.

Ever since then i have disliked just car insurance.

I haven't had a claim with shannons but all reports i've heard are positive. Also their premiums for my GB were only $280 for fully comp and about $110 for third party and that is for a daily driven vehicle. Much cheaper than when i was with RACQ and third party fire and theft was something like $220 a year. Note: shannons don't do Fire and theft though.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
leoca

Post by leoca »

I have just taken out comprehensive insurance for my 2.6 EFI LC Lancer through Shannons.
Overall I am happy about them (so far).
(This is the 2nd car with them ).The cost was $173 per year...which started 19/4/2010 he said.(!?)Agreed value $2500...but you have the chance to update with photos to their website once its repainted for an ammended agreed value.
No claim discount -65%..(no claim discount available in 3yrs.)

My Starion was $359...this is $100 less than AAMI ,agreed value $5000...$1400 more than AAMI would EVER do.
Also it looks like the LC's bill was credited $20 because I had the starion covered with them , so it was a little cheaper.

As usual the main things they are interested in are :age ,claims/accidents and traffic infrigements.
endlss

Post by endlss »

just car qouted 876 over the phone or 807 via internet with a value of 1400 (????)
and should call shannons but every time i speake to them they dont want to touch the car at all and palm me off to some one else ,
i am two months shy of 30 and a good driving history
leoca

Post by leoca »

Yeah well I am am about 15 yr older than you so ispose that makes a difference (H)
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Im with Just Cars and Shannons. (two different cars) Im 25.

Just cars $750 for full comp insured for $6400

Shannons - $750 for full comp insured for $9800

Why dont Shannons want to insure you??
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

DVSGAL

Post by DVSGAL »

I know this is an old thread but......

I got a letter in the mail from LSV (aka Vigil car insurance) and long story cut short, I no longer have salvage rights on the car and my excess has gone up.

So, I called Shannons, I pay slightly more ($34) but the car is insured for $5500 ($5000 with LSV), I get salvage rights and excess is $500, and does not cost extra money to pay by the month. It took us 10 mins to organize paperwork/details etc etc and spent 30mins talking about the car. He also asked me if I am with any clubs, I told him about this site/club, he then made a note to reefer anyone with an old school Mitsubishi to this site.

I would recommend them to anyone.
Galantman

Post by Galantman »

WELL DONE SARAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! will keep this in midn for when the banana beast is back and running
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

im with shannons. they were the only people to insure my car for than $800. i pay around 900ish a year because my car is parked on the street and im under 25 (im only 18). the cars insured for an agreed value of $4000. so im happy cause it owes me about 3k.