Awesome Turbo Setup (MUST READ)

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
SpEc_OpS

Awesome Turbo Setup (MUST READ)

Post by SpEc_OpS »

And no i dont work for them dont have anything to do with them just found it i thinks its a pretty nifty idea check it out guys

http://www.ststurbo.com/

The turbo is mounted where your exhaust used to be and intake pipe is massive awesome sound to.
Drive It Like You Stole It

The Drifter = 99 VS Ute (Kaaz 2 way LSD + 3.8 v6 on boost :lol:)
The Old Drifter = 99 S15 Spec-R (GONE :()
The Project = 80 GH Scorp (shes getting there)
The Fourby = 92 4Runner (can climb yo mumma)
The Daily = 95 Camry (the gf gotta have a car too)
The Shitter = 89 Hiace (with ever panel customised)
The Untamed = 98 cbr 600 (nearly killed me twice but i still love her)
panda

Re: Awesome Turbo Setup (MUST READ)

Post by panda »

Must be a French idea, they do everything different :D
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Glen from G&D performance had there V8 ute on C31 the other night with a system like that
the turbo at the rear
I would have thought you would loose heat in the exhaust and less presure that way
but it could have other effects that would be good tuned lenth headers like N/A
this might be worth some more thought
cheater
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Well after hardly any sleep (was rather excited thinking bout my car) ive decided i may put my hand up to be the guinea pig. Heres the plan use there whole idea BUT CARBY :lol: (this will just be temporary). How u may wonder?

Well a blow thru system with intercooler and ill have the stock exhaust running down to the turbo placed near the diff. Then the dump pipe will effectively be my exhaust. Im going to use the stock carby and add an injector into the intake pipe just before the carby. Which switches on to full stream (not pulsing like normal) at 4psi that will be handled by running 12v to the injector via vacuum style switch. The turbo air intake will be via a pod mounted directly off the front of the turbo and then run the outlet pipe all the way up to the intercooler. All thats left is a normal oil feed incorporating a oil pump and bobs ur uncle. Im open to suggestiongs guys let me know if u think of a better idea :)

PS any1 who wants to offer help and i mean yes getting your hands dirty and installing this bad boy with me let me know.

sigmare

Post by sigmare »

Why not just get an electronic feul pump and run a line straight to the inlet manifold??? PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!

i hate to be the one to burst your bubble but going through your posts i can appreciate the enthusiasm. However. Im not sure your quite ready to take on a project like this with a "we'll see how she goes' attitude. i can tell you from experience that this road only leads to damage, an empty wallet and major disappointment.

Sit down, work it out. Do it properly

Theres a few guys on here who have done this sort of thing before and are willing to help.
Instead of coming up with ridiculous setups that will incinerate you on the first test drive, try take in the advice instead of trying to work around it.

If you have any questions pm me and ill point you the right way before you do something silly.

Sorry Guys i felt it had to be said.

good luck
COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

wasting your time and money...

Good luck getting the oil back into the sump.
Good luck getting oil TOO the turbo.

your turbo will need a internal gate.. most small turbos that are internally gated are water cooled.

So water lines also needed.

It's not evan a good idea.
You have room up front.. and if u think u dont try putting a 2.6 turbo in a GA-GB galant. LOL Thats tight.

Do it properly man it will be alot less heart ache.
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
leoca

Post by leoca »

By the way theres a few 6 cylinder magnas around with this type of set up.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Well i wanted to do something different thats y i bought a scorp haha neways im thinkin you guys need some faith it is possible if done properly im not going to dive into it thats y i post crap up here for opinions. Who has done this kinda setup what makes u so certain it wont work?

Astron Boy

Post by Astron Boy »

it CAN work, but in all honesty,
do you want to have some fun for a week or two, and continuously shake your head after it to fix things.
or would you rather hardcore plan this, still do it yourself, get the right parts, and then have something that will last.

dont forget, you have an old worn out engine, how long do you think it will take for it to go kaboom when it gets its breath of boost?
Almost as long as my sigma cabrio doing 6000k launches everywhere, 2 weeks. after it being unused for 3yrs in a garage.
Service Manuals for Astron & Saturn powered Cars
Available manuals: TM Magna/ GH, GN Sigma/ A51-GC Galant
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Turbos smart built a rear mount setup for a bloke in the US the car is a mustang running a big block its making around 3000hp

GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

There are FACTORY astron turbo manifolds. Why not use one?

Its gotta be one of the cheapest and easiest motors to add turbo too so why would you try to find the hardest, most impractical and expensive way to do it?

Scorpion/sigma has a huge engine bay with plenty of room.
My GC galant i have a astron + turbo + efi +oil cooler + bigger radiator and still runs the factory clutch fan.

If you want something different just for the sake of it stick another motor in it or something. Sr20, CA18, VG30, RB30, triton v6, commodore v6 , ford/holden v8, 2jz, 7m....

Or paint it two tone, pink bottom taxi yellow on the top. That would be different.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Hey Spec ops, dont take what any of these guys are saying as bashing your ideas.

They are all talking from experience.

I totally understand that you want to do something different.
I really do.

My mates and i were always cooming up with wild ideas for doing stuff.
problem is, and especially when you do it yourself at home, you try something, and it works for awhile, until something goes wrong, then you have to fix that and try something else, and so on and so on, and so it ends up costing you 2, 3, 4, 5, times what it would have compared to just doing it right, and using a known and proven, practical application the 1st time.

Now what you said is right.

"Anything is possible"

However, people design things, and learn how things either do or dont work, through trial and error.
And really, only big workshops or engineering companies can afford to lose all the money involved to find out such things.

Lets say you did go through with it.
Yes it is possible to get it to work
But then how much Money and time can you afford to make it work Properly?

For a one off, never been tried project like this, what ever you think it might cost,
Double it, and then Double that again.
And you might be getting close.

Like I said im not bagging you, love that you are thinking outside the box.

But how much is it worth spending to be different?

I learnt that the Hard way!

My idea would be spend your money on a good Boost friendly rebuild,
Then buy a Super Charger off the Toyota Factory range from an importer, either the 4AGZE, or 7MTE( i think thats it anyway) only a couple hundred $.
Or a Rotrex SuperCharger.
You can still run carb/Intercooler(blow though) or you can also do suck through carb.
A good set of Extractors and good exhaust system and your away.

Plus those Toyota Chargers are a self oiled system, meaning you dont then have to upgrade oil pump, and run external oil lines, and return etc. You simply drop a bolt and put new oil in.
And do an oil change periodically.
Then you play around with pulley sizes to increase boost.

Loads of Tourque, constant power,
and best of all I dont know of anyone with a similar set up, but im sure someone might.

Or the other old tried and tested method, just buy a turbo set up and try to get the most out of it you can.

Dont go playing around with Carb and a single fuel injector setups, more headache than its worth. Can work, but Hassles with proper tuning unless you know what you are doing and have your own Dyno...

Plus the mucking about and cost of Blow through Carb, Tuning it, Then having to set up an injector, and im assuming you are trying to avoid paying for a computer thats why you came up with the thought of constant flow injector off a positive pressure switch.
But think about the priciple, you have a carb that is delivering an adjustable and varied fuel and air flow, then you hit 4 psi, and whether you have Quarter throttle, Half throttle or full, You suddenly have a bucket of fuel pooring into the motor through that injector.
Its really only good for drag racing, and activated of the Accelerator of Trottle being Wide open, or full on. o that it can be tuned for that application.

Man all that money and headache would have you a cheap computer, a Magna Head, and wired up and tuned.Maybe some bigger injectors.
Runs and starts smooth, and delivers good power contantly!

Through in A fuel system for what ever path you choose, Lift pump, Surge tank, Main pump, fuel line...

None of it is cheap and easy!!!!

However if you are hell bent on doing something out of the ordinary,
best of luck, i want to hear and see pics of how it all works out.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Thanks dan nice to see someone with some faith btw guys jus thought you should know i have done a turbo system before i had a 95 vs commodore ute say wat u want i originally bought it as a work car. After a blown clutch i decided to put a heavy duty exedy clutch in it and thats where it all started. I spent 24 thousand dollars on that car in 9 months trying and testing not including the ten thousand i spent when i bought the car. All ive got left to show is the rego papers and a couple of photos nothing more nothing less and i miss it like all hell. I run my own business and i make a decent amount of money.

I WILL build my car it WILL be different and i WILL pour money into until its right.

Im one of those can do ppl but the last year of my life ive been going out and most of the time spending over $500 a night jus getting drunk and playing pokies. All of which was great fun and a good idea at the time but its gotten me no where in life and ive got nothing to show for it but photos of wat i USED to have. This is something constructive to do with my money something to put my time effort and hard earned dollars in thats not only gonna put a smile on my face but in the end ill turn around and say i did that i made that happen. And i will be able to thoroughly enjoy it whenever i want.

I do appreciate your opinions and im throwing ideas round cos i want opinions im not going to rush into anything eg today i had lengthy talks to 4 performance shops trying to find someone with some expertise in the remote turbocharging industry. Im doing my research im getting professional advice but the whole point of building this car is not only for self enjoyment i want the appreciation of others i want ppl to look at my car and just think wow thats awesome. Not because its got the best bits not because its got massive horsepower but because alot of time, thought and effort has gone into it and ppl who love cars as much as i do can appreciate and respect that for what it is.

And as ive already said before this will be a temporary thing i like trying things just to learn and understand how it works the obvious choice is efi and aftermarket computer good turbo and what not but for now im gonna try weird and wonderful things and hey if it works lucky me if it doesnt even more reason to go bigger and better we learn from our mistakes ppl alot of good things happen by accident. As a priest would say

HAVE SOME FAITH

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

karl_2ltgc wrote:There are FACTORY astron turbo manifolds. Why not use one?

Its gotta be one of the cheapest and easiest motors to add turbo too so why would you try to find the hardest, most impractical and expensive way to do it?

Scorpion/sigma has a huge engine bay with plenty of room.
My GC galant i have a astron + turbo + efi +oil cooler + bigger radiator and still runs the factory clutch fan.

If you want something different just for the sake of it stick another motor in it or something. Sr20, CA18, VG30, RB30, triton v6, commodore v6 , ford/holden v8, 2jz, 7m....

Or paint it two tone, pink bottom taxi yellow on the top. That would be different.
-------------------------------
I think that this sort of logic will fall on deaf ears :roll:

The guy is talking 10's of thousands of dollars doing weird and wonderful things to his Scorp, and then goes and buys a $50 gearbox :lol:
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Sigmaproject wrote:I think that this sort of logic will fall on deaf ears :roll:

The guy is talking 10's of thousands of dollars doing weird and wonderful things to his Scorp, and then goes and buys a $50 gearbox :lol:
I don't see a problem with that, he already said he had the money and was willing to pour it in.
Other people have said the Scorpion Jap box is strong enough to handle it, so why not try?

If it breaks he'd surely have the money for a better box, right?

I say go for it, and we need pics.. lots of pics, maybe a video too
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

LOL valid point but i was cheering it was $50 becos i was searching for 1 for like a week with no luck only 1 i found was a rebuild 1 for $880 and i finally found 1 delivered for $50 which im getting rebuilt anyways which is going to be $400 so ive jus saved myself $430 wouldnt u be happy?

Just because im gonna throw money at this car doesnt mean im going to waste money y not buy something cheaper if u can?

And btw im not appreciating the sarcasm guys i think were all old enough to be respectful of other ppl and there ideas. Unless uve got some good to say dont say nothing constructive critisizm i wanna hear but childish smart arses dnt reply to my posts plz.

stealth

Post by stealth »

mate i am just wondering wher your located?
state/city
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Im in sydney any particular reason your asking?

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Mate, sorry for not taking you seriously, but you change your mind 10 times a day. If you have all of this cash you need to get rid of,there is a very nice turbo'd Sigma on ebay right now. Buy this and have money left over.
If you are going to do your own, then do it right the first time. Why waste time and money doing a dodgy job with doubtful cheap components , then do a proper build later down the track.
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

A typical setup run by many users here WILL be fucken awesome and different and be 11ty jillion times more awesome than your VS.

Sure there might be 10 or so people here with simialir setups, but ive never seen more than 2 together at once, so i would say they are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Sigmaproject wrote: Why waste time and money doing a dodgy job with doubtful cheap components , then do a proper build later down the track.
Quite simple im greek :lol: nah thats not real reason i just like toying with stuff when i was a lil kid i used to pull apart my toys just to figure out how they worked 99% of the time id put them back together and theyd work like new. Im building a turbo carby car cos ive never done it before and want to give it a go and y not do something really adventurous wat if it works :shock:. Maybe the remote mounting turbo is a lil to adventurous its still worth a shot if it dont work ill still have all the parts to do it normally i woulda wasted a lil bit of money on a oil pump long oil hoses and intake piping no biggy. But if it does work ill have something diff without really being to adventurous and wasting alot of money.

As i said i MAY put my hand up and be the guinea pig im going over to my mates now (the guy whos helping me do the build) were gonna sit down make a plan and decide which way were going to go with it and start makin up some adaptor plates and what not for the turbo conversion. Ill fill u all in when i get home on what path i shall be taking :)

SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

karl_2ltgc wrote:A typical setup run by many users here WILL be fucken awesome and different and be 11ty jillion times more awesome than your VS.
HAHAHAHAHA well after hearing that ill fill u guys in on the setup in my vs this is all of memory theres prbly alot more but yeh jus goin from wat i remember.

Engine
Standard ecotec 3.8 bored and stroked to 4.2L from come racing gear in vic
Custom ground cam
stage 3 flowed heads
Yella terra roller rockers
microtech mt8 computer
v8 injectors bigger bosch fuel pump
t3/t4 turbo custom intake manifold (low mount)
Twin cai (over the radiator and out the front left fender)
+ much more been a while so i cant remember much

Driveline
Exedy extreme drift clutch
Tremec t5 from america
custom built carbon fiber drive shaft ( picked this up really cheap was actually made for a v8 model of my car and the customer changed his mind had to do some fabricating to fit it tho)
Holden LSD modded with 90% lock and 3.83 gears as opposed to 3.5(standard)
Full mandrel bent stainless steel exhaust dumping just after the diff

Suspension
basically 1 of everything from nolathane catalogue including control arms, panhard rod and adjustable strut tops (camber caster toe) etc.
Pedders coil overs upfront
pedders sports ryder on the rear
kyb shocks all round

Wheels & Tyres
XHP 18x8 sabers gunmetal grey/polished ( i really liked this rims not flashy jus tuff looking)
Falken Azenis RT615 Semi-slick 245/40/18

And ofcourse alot of visual mods (black tail lights/side mirrors/hard cover. A white rear spoiler steering wheel gearknob all the usual pretty stuff i tried to keep the car looking like it was jus a normal p plater car jus lowered with rims and neat i spent most of my money on go not show :)

Below is a pic jus before i sold it *note the turbo cold air intake jus right of where the numberplate should be.

SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

HAHA yeh it was a bit love hate with that spoiler some days i thought it looked good others i didnt id just take the hard top off when i thought it looked crap.

As for the plan were gonna go a intercooled blow thru setup with the turbo in the engine bay :shock: going to run the turbo at stock boost replace current carby with xf weber 1. As for the idea of the extra injector in the intake pipe were going to check the a/f ratio with full boost if its not leaning out well jus leave it and have it running rich when theres no boost.

Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

Well that looks like a plan. Good luck with it.
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Hey Spec, still not sure about that XF carb, just think they were a piece of crap, on a stock family car, never made for performance, i would be going for something newer, bigger and better straight off.....

id be calling Jakes Performance for a blow through Application....

Had a good look at that STS Turbo site.
They arent very forth coming with info, and dont really give too many details about why they are better than a normal turbo setup other than hearsay and bull dust....
There are no dyno print outs to show the power runs in comparison to a normal engine let alone a simple normal turbo setup....

I have seen an Aussie car running a similar set up,
the Purple Chrysler/Hemi Centura drag car.
Its running a big V8, and a huge Turbo under the boot.

My main concerns would be..... This pic was taken from the STSTurbo Website....

Looking at this pic, Straight away you realise that to quieten the exhaust you need mufflers, but you dont have room After the turbo anymore, so where else can you put them....
So right away you have restricted air flow to the Turbo.
reducing flow and spool time, and efficiency...
then you have to run 2-3 meters of positive pressure piping upto the manifold, and none of the pics on the site show the use of an intercooler....
Why?
And dont tell me that after 2-3 meters of piping Underneath a car it is cooler than necessary....

On a Drag car without the need for Mufflers/restrictors i could see it may work in an application where you have the time to sit on the line and build the revs to the point of spooling the Turbo for use.
but in a street car where you have to have Mufflers, and require the boost on demand,
I dont think it would be really that practical....

Anyway all the best man, still say a Brain and Injected head would be your best money spent
sigmare

Post by sigmare »

Looking at that picture i think that by the time you get all your fabrication done you could have set one up in the engine bay. Not to mention a hell of a lot of time lying under the car if you dont have a hoist.

Relax spec ops im not havin a go.

To answer a few questions, first of all we do know these set ups work, and the only reason i would think these kits were conjured up in the first place is because theres not a lot of room for turbo's in big V8 cars. Not to mention heat issues.

I think a few people have asked why your doing this? We all want some power right? But i think now would be a good time to work out what you want out of it. What i mean is do you just want a basic turbo setup? or a drag car? or what?

I understand you have a high disposable income which is great. This should be more reason why you just bite the bullet and do it properly and not waist time and money dickin around with bush mechanic setups.

Sorry mate but speaking from experience its been a long road to get my car where it is now. Ive done the tight arse setups and can tell you if i would do it all again, i would put aside 15k and go nuts.

Im sure anyone here who has gone through turbocharging will know exactly what im talking about.

On the other hand, if you decide to do an "underboot" setup good luck and let us know how you go and when you need another engine pm me ;)
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

LOL @ sigmare na i appreciate ur input guys one of the main reasons i wanted to do that setup is cos im a p plater and not sposed to have a turbo but id also like to try it i mean im goin carby which is diff y not go the whole 9 yards and have a boot mounted turbo? Was only a idea anyway ive decided against it now.

COBWBS

Post by COBWBS »

SpEc_OpS wrote:LOL @ sigmare na i appreciate ur input guys one of the main reasons i wanted to do that setup is cos im a p plater and not sposed to have a turbo but id also like to try it i mean im goin carby which is diff y not go the whole 9 yards and have a boot mounted turbo? Was only a idea anyway ive decided against it now.
Buy RX22NV's Wagon and get it over and done with.

This is a joke and will neva be finished/ started..

I have no Faith.
Formerly known as QIKSIG
2.6 Turbo 72 GA Galant on straight LPG
77 Lancer
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

:

I have never heard anybody else on the site, go on with so much crap in my life.
SpEc_OpS

Post by SpEc_OpS »

Sigmaproject wrote::

I have never heard anybody else on the site, go on with so much crap in my life.
You dont like my posts dont click on the link :shock: every1s entitled to there on opinion.
COBWBS wrote:
This is a joke and will neva be finished/ started..
Would u put money on that? Before u ask no i aint joking.