Help me open the door .....

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
davetrees

Help me open the door .....

Post by davetrees »

I've struck a somewhat challenging problem ....

I was silly enough to lock the rear driver side door of the GB, and now it won't open/unlock (button moves up & down, but doesn't unlock the door - obviously the rigours of rallying are too much for the mechanism !) :banh:

Outside door handle won't release the lock, and I can't open it using the inside handle because the main hoop of the roll cage sits directly over it (good bit of design that ..... not ! :roll: ). Cage also precludes removing the door card to trip the lock from inside the door.

Only options I have come up with so far are :
- unbolt the hinges at the B-pillar (they are accessible with front door open) ... but not sure if this will allow enough movement to get at the inside handle; or
- take a holesaw to the door card from inside the car so I can get at the lock mechanism

Any other suggestions ?
DanTurboLancer

Re: Help me open the door .....

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Yeah mate just unbolt the door at the B pillar, it will just swing out using the latch at the back. :thumpsup:
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

That's what I'm hoping ..... but worried that it might bend (or otherwise damage) the latch ?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I had a similar problem with my GD sedan, I just kept working at the handle and inside locking knob and it eventually opened.

I know what has caused the problem.
There is a little spring that helps the lock to return to a position so it works properly. After time the spring rusts away or breaks.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Thanks Dave

Tried that ... but unfortunately the locking knob came off and the metal rod has flopped sideways inside the door so I can't get at it !

I'll try the hinge-removal method one night this week & see how I go.

(I had a similar problem a year or so ago with the RHF door, but was able to fix that easily as I could get the door card off)

Might have to go the Mr Bean option for the future ... :lol: