Shifta's day at the drags ( long story )

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
Shifta

Shifta's day at the drags ( long story )

Post by Shifta »

It’s been a long time since Adelaide had it’s own functioning drag strip and the last time I strapped a helmet on in a Sigma was maybe 7 years ago or so at one of the last ever 4,6, and Rotary Nationals. Since then I’ve been happy to putt around in my old Colts and haven’t been fussed about going fast or motor racing in any format. A while back though I figured it was pointless having a heap of gear in my shed from the last car I raced if I wasn’t going to use it so I bought a GK Sigma, started a build thread regarding the 4G62B motor conversion and went for it. Most recently I gained a bit of advice regarding the Scorpion diff conversion and the car was ready ( or so I thought ) for some fun. I also decided that if I was going to do this, I was done with hire trailers so bought a small car trailer and pretty much restored it to a workable condition I was happy with.

Until recently the plan was to do a Heathcote run with some mates first up but an event came up that looked ok. The old Mitsubishi test track at Tailem Bend last week hosted an inaugural 1/8 mile street car session. The irony was I reckon my car was one of only a few actual street cars there and by far the slowest thing in attendance! Entering the event got me motivated to finish the car and trailer and all was set for a triumphant return to the track. Unfortunately the day didn’t go so well and here’s a run down….

Up at 4:30am. The car was strapped down the night before so not much to do other than final checks. Drove 20mins or so and met some mates at Castle Plaza Hungry Jacks for breakfast – my mate was bringing his Turbo V8 Triumph TR7 for a run. Just before meeting them I lost my dash lights and parking lights on both car and trailer. Stopped at a servo and replaced fuse but as soon as I put my foot on the brake, they blew again. Bit of a bugger as I completely rewired the trailer not long ago so a bit of a mystery. I grabbed the multimeter and it didn’t register a short so will have to suss it out further. Luckily it was daylight soon so continued on without Parkers. The trip there was about 2 hours. My poor old Commodore struggled with the nearly 2 tonne behind it but she got me there in the end. The trailer towed well although a few times it got a bit of a sway up with no real reason. I’m wondering whether it’s just that my commodore isn’t really that big so weight behind it was dictating terms. I think the balance was right so not sure – will test further.

Got to the track and the setup was interesting. All the cars were lined up next to the bitumen in kind of a ditch and the cars driven off onto the staging lanes. Here’s a pic:

It was pretty casual and we slowly got the cars off and ready. A drivers briefing, sign in, and walk the track proceeded. One of the down sides of the facilities is there is no return lane so groups of cars were going to have to wait down the end, they would stop racing and send the cars back in groups. This would turn out to be the only major downside to the event as with 70+ cars, wait times between runs was awful. By 10 they finally got racing under way and I lined up for a run. Over 5 hours after leaving home that morning I was finally in front of the tree. From here things didn’t go very well…..

Run1:
Entered the pre stage area and when given the go ahead, proceeded to do a stinka – that didn’t happen. What did happen was Tramp – earth shattering Tramp! None of my cars have ever had it so I was at a loss. Backed off the gas and went into staging. Green light and it’s all go but there was that tramp again – evil stuff. Made it through first, had trouble getting it into second, and then a lot of trouble finding third. Once in third I was able to check for boost – only running 8PSI. I have a manual controller so I tried to wind it up but ran of track and also revs left available in 3rd gear. Got out of it and did a u turn back to the holding area. After a few more runs came through they let us drive back to the pits – my time slip was something ridiculous like 11.5 from memory. Back in the pits the car wasn’t doing too well – it was only running on 3 cylinders. Spent about 15mins diagnosing stuff, changed plugs, checked compression and leads etc. Turns out the tramping had disturbed an injector plug so all fixed and ready for redemption.

Run2:
After what literally felt like hours of lining up, ready for my next try. I was worried about tramp so was going to skip the burnout and take it easy. My mates reckoned a heel and toe approach would help so I decided to give that ago. Was better than the first effort but still jumped a bit. Off the line wasn’t too bad – tramped maybe twice then hooked up. Got it into second, then missed third completely. Once in there I checked for boost again – still only 8PSI. Tried to wind it up but again ran out of track once more. More waiting and then back to line up again. The time slip was 10.5 – still crap but if I could get the boost up to where it normally is ( 15-18) and if I could learn to drive then I was confident all would be well! They breaked for lunch so there was more waiting ( theme for the day ). While I was waiting I checked the clutch adjustment and found there wasn’t really any adjustment left in the cable. I hadn’t thought it was that bad but apparently it is.

Run3:
After an eternity it was time again. I tried the heel and toe approach in pre-staging and this time the clutch got fried. Off the line wasn’t too bad, trouble with second and missed third again. Still couldn’t get the boost up and while focusing on that, the car peaked at about 7k rpm then kinda died. There was an evil scraping noise and things didn’t feel right. I let it cool down a bit then turned it off while waiting to be marshalled back to the pits. I baby’d it back thinking the worst and then pretty much found it – the timing cover was ripped open and the fanbelt had reversed itself. The car stunk like clutch and rubber. Here’s what it looked like:

So that ended my day. Car was put back on trailer and the long drive home followed. Finally got home about 5:30pm, then spent the next 24 hours pulling the car to pieces to find what went wrong. As well a new clutch, I now have to replacing the Timing Belt and either replace the Balance Shaft Belt or go down the road of pulling the shafts out. What had happened was the BS belt shredded and carved up the timing belt – luckily it stayed on and didn’t jump a tooth but it took out the top cover along the way.

So all up, long tiring day! Here’s some pics anyway – no burnout pics or anything for obvious reasons .

Shifta

Re: Shifta's day at the drags ( long story )

Post by Shifta »

Thanks Leigh. I ordered the belt kit today so it won't be long before she's back on the road :). That white Sigma is a southern car but not sure if he's a forum member. The car has a Turbo LS1 motor in it, is ridiculously quick and extremely neat. Here's some pics and vids of the car running up against my mates sub 10 sec Turbo V8 Triumph:

Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIMJ5R4Edn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxA2jwZ9-aA

Pics:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

that Tr7 sounds like a sweet combo. i do like them. i love the v8 sig, saw it down the bay a few weeks ago. cant believe he was driving it around.

shame bout your hectic day. wish i had known the event was on, i could have made a visit. its odd that you are dissapointed with your time. i reckon id be freaking running times that you were. although ive never been down the strip to compare a time to a car. ive never had my car down the strip. id be keen to one day. and that place looks good as there aint no walls alongside just incase :facepalm: i wouldnt expect much from my car. its not making much power at the moment and the power kicks in so late due to lag that im changing gears straight away anyway.

better luck for ya next time hopefully :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

sorry to hear that buds,would have been shattering all the time and driving for something like that to happen..i feel for ya buds.
by the way the times you were running,were they 1/4mile ??
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
webby

Post by webby »

eighth mile. I think he mentioned that in a previous post? I'd be well impressed if a full weight Sigma was running 10.5 down the quarter with nothing but a stockish 4G62T and a 4.6 rear end :P
Anyway, sucks to hear about all the issues, hope you get them sorted for the next time out :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Yeah 1/8 Mile mate. Thanks guys, I'm looking at the positives in it now that it's been a few days. I'll source a more reliable boost control set up, will install a better clutch, will have piece of mind with the new belts, and will do some research and solving the tramp issues :).

It's funny as my old man was over when I was compression testing it the other day and we were talking about the rebuild many years ago ( he built the motor for me ). I'd forgotten I'd put Hypatek Pistons in it and had extensive head work done to decompress it to 7:5:1 to enable more boost! Hopefully it means some more reliable fun once she's back on the road :)
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Whoa that was an eventful day :| . least you were lucky the timing belt was able to cling on to its rightful spot!!

With the axel tramp - is this the car the lower arms went in to? did you replace all the bushes? how good are the rear shocks?

Least she looks sweet out on the strip :thumpsup:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ah somehow i missed the 1/8 mile comment. i would def be keen to give it a go then. hopefully your car is all sweet next time and i could convoy it up there with ya :D
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

With the arms I used your lower arms with new Bushes and used the upper arms with what looks like good bushes that came with the diff. I reckon I’ll replace the rest now that I’m fixing stuff :). The shockers seem ok but I'll look at that. I still have the lowered springs from the Scoprion I wrecked so I'm considering trying them to see if that makes a difference

And yeah for sure Ken, I’ll let you know if another event comes up. I think I mentioned it in my initial essay but I was a tad disappointed with how good the cars were there. The event was promoted as a legal street sprint and certain rules definitely hinted it was for street cars. One such rule was that every car had to be registered or on a permit. My mate with the TR7 was specifically told he couldn’t run Slicks. But when we got there, it was all drag cars and slicks a plenty. I was a tad embarrassed to be having such amateur problems in a car that could be driven daily while being surrounded by what was mainly professionally built, tough drag cars :(.
Benno

Post by Benno »

Bad luck Shifta. :( :(

It hasn't done any damage to your engine has it? apart from the belt and the cover?
daily driver: 1995 S14 200sx with 230rwkw :)

for hitting the dirt and having fun: 1980 GH Stigma with astron 2.6 power fitted with Superscan's Quad Carby Set-up
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6750 :) :)
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Nah, motor looks all good so I'll back on the road asap :). I signed up on a Cordia forum and am chasing a top timing cover and Cordia workshop manual. Anyone knows where I can get either, let me know! I've got the parts to replace the belts this weekend but not keen to try it without the manual backing me up!
unique10

Post by unique10 »

sucks about the track issues, im heading up to heathcote in a few weeks - thanks for scaring the crap outta me! lol, good luck fixing the car anyway mate.

it has to be said becuase it has not been said before; DAM thats a nice sigma, from the colour to the wheels. i like it! :thumpsup:
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate and good luck at Heathcote. I've been there a few times years ago to watch mates in their cars and I love how laid back the place is! Let us know how you go!
karl_2ltgc

Post by karl_2ltgc »

Uusual your getting tramp in a sigma. Check your engine mounts and gearbox mounts as well...good chance they will be cracked and letting the motor torque over alot which will make tramp worse or create it depending on how bad the mounts are.
Shifta

Post by Shifta »

Thanks mate, good advice! The box mount is ok as I checked that when I pulled the box out. I haven't checked the Engine mounts though so will get straight onto it! I get my clutch and flywheel this arvo so I'm going to take my time putting it back together over the next few days an hopefully check everything!