Just for curiousity, how many would be interested?

Talk about anything car related here that isn't covered below.
75wagon
Admin

Just for curiousity, how many would be interested?

Post by 75wagon »

I have been speaking to a guy that does 3D modelling and machining.

I have been speaking to him about making me a mould of a GC/D Galant Wagon so I can use it on my RC drift car, but the cost is a little higher then I expected.
I'm really impressed with the level of detail he adds to his bodies, which is why he is the one I have approached.
Here is his work http://www.sydneyrcdrifters.com/forum/v ... 60&t=11402

Now everyone complains that there aren't enough early Mitsu's available in RC shells (I know because I'm one of them).

I'm just curious how many would be interested if something like this was available?
I'm tossing the idea around, there is no guarantee that this will happen (as I said, it's a large outlay for me, more then a real Galant wagon).

But if enough are interested, I may be prepared to go through with it?

Normal over the counter RC shells sell for between $40 and $100.
I haven't worked out what I would want per body, but it would be in that same range (otherwise no one would be interested, I'm certain of that).

If enough were interested, I may consider looking at GH Sigma's and maybe a Lancer Hatch also?
There would have to be an incredible amount of interest though?

Reasons why I have aimed at the GC/D Galant Wagon:
1. Because of my personal interest (I'd have to be to even think of shelling out the amount of coin this bloke wants).
2. There are bugger all wagons in RC shells available, and they look cool as drifting

Please leave opinions or interest, I'd be really curious?

Let's put it this way, when I first heard the price I thought 'well, there's that idea put to bed'.

It's worth an ask if nothing else?
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
brendon

Re: Just for curiousity, how many would be interested?

Post by brendon »

could you make a plug mould for it yourself,obviously not as detailed but a shite load cheaper.

if its was a bit smaller and you could guarantee of not crashing it, you could try making a mould of a scale model (not sure if the is galant wagons though) and making it out of resin, that's what I'll be doing for the 1/24 scale sigmas eventually
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I would be interested in a Lancer LC Hatch/Lancer Celeste, but would depend on how much they were. I am currently considering making one myself since I am part way through making my own CNC.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

brendon wrote:could you make a plug mould for it yourself,obviously not as detailed but a shite load cheaper.
Yes agreed it would be.
This is something I have often thought of.

I would want it to look really good or not bother at all?
Doing a sub standard job would be doing our brand of cars an injustice.

Fact is, they are just as good if not better then any other similar aged Jap style tin.

The thought was, that if the first body was a success, then other styles and shapes could be made from it.
The wagons share the same panels as the GA/B from the doors back.
So paying the same guy who has the the original 3D image to do minor mods to it would be cheaper. And the Coupe and sedan share the same front panels.

I suppose I'm looking for interest for about 20 to 30 bodies for the initial shape?
That's not a lot really?
I'm prepared to wear a lot of the cost myself purely because it's something that inspires me.
I might even be prepared to sell one of my wagons to pay for it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

It could easily look as cool as this

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 856&type=3
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The only old school type wagon body that I know of?
PANDORA RC PAB-009 Nissan Cedric Wagon Body Set

http://www.genkidoridori.com/index.php? ... ts_id=1843

A Galant wagon would look way cooler then this...
ddt

Post by ddt »

Do u know how much of the total cost is the computer 3d model itself?
Once the 3d model is made, could different scale moulds be made?
I'm more interested in 1:18 scale models non RC.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

Yeah, I am with ddt. I would be interested in a full set of Galants if they were 1:18, then we could chuck them on any cheap chassis from a model shop. Mainly interested in a GC/D hardtop but willing to take a wagon if it gets the ball rolling.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:if they were 1:18, then we could chuck them on any cheap chassis from a model shop
1:10 is the common cheap RC chassis scale, which is exactly the scale I am suggesting?
What chassis can be bought in 1:18?
ddt wrote:Once the 3d model is made, could different scale moulds be made?

I assume you'd be after a model kit style of thing?

RC bodies are vacuum form lexan, they are thin and light weight.
They can be used for all sorts of things.
For example:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 856&type=1
This was a standard vacuum formed lexan RC shell, turned into something much more.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

If it was in a 1:18 scale then... HELL YES! I'd grab one.
75wagon wrote:What chassis can be bought in 1:18?
Team associated :thumpsup:

Sedan preferred, but of course, if your doing a run of Galant wagons, would grab one to help get things rolling! (...pun intended lol)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

Bilzilla of performance forums does 3d printing might be worth a try
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

ddt

Post by ddt »

I agree 1:10 is more standard and practical for RC but what i was getting at is IF making the moulds themsleves is a relatively inexpensive component of the whole process-then using the same 3D computer model to ALSO spit out a 1:18 model may make more business sense.

More people collect model cars than RC cars. If that dude could output some good quality 1:18 shells then I reckon you'd have more takers and that would subsidise the 1:10 shells.

As amgis_obrut mentioned, if we could also get a bunch of "3D printed" 1:18 bits like different grill sets, bumpers, wheels etc to go with the shells then that could really start something cool.

I also agree with A112H; in 1:18 i'm potentially interested in the whole range of models on S-G, but at 1:10, i'd probably only go for a GE wagon.
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

I wasn't thinking RC Dave, like ddt said, I was thinking static model. Just grab a $10 "whatever" model from a garage sale or market and fit the Galant bodies over the chassis.
I have a few GTO models, could even fit it over them so they can "run" 4G32 DOHC and GTO interior, lol
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

So besides suggestions of what else to use the 3D modelling for, no one is interested?

It was still worth an ask.

Looks like if I want an RC Galant Wagon shell I'll have to make the plug myself?
Because there is no way I'm plugging out $1500 just to make one for me.
ddt

Post by ddt »

Out of interest, if u turned up to that dude's place with a block of wood already shaped and sanded into a 1:10 galant wagon, how much would he charge to blow some plastic over it?

May be worth considering.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I don't think I'm quite with you there?

He lives in Russia.

The bodies are vacuum formed lexan.

The bit that blows the price out of the water is the postage. The plug weighs 20kgs with the product he makes them from. That works out at $450 just in postage.
I think it's worth having a better quality plug shape so the bodies are desirable.

You should see the difference between a good quality AE86 body and a crap one.
Here's my HPI 86

Here's a cheapy

See the difference in the quality of the shaping of the front bar for example?
Now which one would you buy?
ddt

Post by ddt »

Ok, I thought this guy was local.

So this guy actually makes the plug not the final bodies?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Nah, he makes everything ddt. From computer design to finished product. $450 for freight seems excessive Dave? I know he uses bonded wood but really? You wouldn't expect the plug to weight anymore than 1kg and that should only be about $40 freight. Me thinks he might be making his cash through freight, this sort of thing happens a lot on ebay and the like.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

He doesn't use bonded wood.
Here's a copy of some of the message he sent me.
Modelling + machinning the mold will cost ~1000 USD + shipping cost.
I making the molds from textolite, mold weight is aprox 20-25 kilo (depend on mold)
For example 20 kilo parcel to AU will cost 415 USD...
So it is a bit expensive...
I questioned the freight also (I asked for a price in rubles just incase he buggered up the conversion), he went further and gave me the pricing break down.
Yes, USD = Unated States Dollar.

And yes, 20 kilo shipping to Australia will cost ~415 USD (12423,10 Russian rubles):
Shipping - 10340,80 rubles
Insurance - 2000,00 rubles
Customs fees - 36,70 rubles
Expedition fees - 45,60 rubles
= 12423,10
+ Box - 100 rubles.
And what is textolite?
Answer:
Textolite was a plastic manufactured by General Electric from the 1930's. Eventually, GE started making a Formika like laminateout of Textolite and simply marketed it as Textolite. I believe the laminate was made from the early 1950's until the 1980's.
orangelancer

Post by orangelancer »

id be keen on one for an lc hatch. depending on cost that is. if its gonna be too expensive i wont bother. id say no more than $100
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Well that brings the cost of the mold down to $1300 with now both you and Cottees wanting one (If I was selling the bodies for $100). Then all I need to do, is buy the lexan sheeting and build myself a vacuum table.
So far the LC Lancer Hatch body is in front though :\
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

I'd be interested in a wagon if it can be done for around $100.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

C_Fernance wrote:I'd be interested in a wagon if it can be done for around $100.
Doubt if it will happen? There isn't any real interest.
As I stated before, it was worth an ask.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have given making my own 3D model of a LC a try. It isn't turning out exactly how I'd like. I really need more practicing modelling cars.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The other thing to take into account when making a plug for vacuum moulding, is a body shape that will be able to be pulled off the plug. Sometimes that needs done by making the lower (tuck under) pieces separate and attach them afterwards.
ddt

Post by ddt »

Once u have a plug mould, approx how much does it cost to make a shell?

Also, if u were going to make a DIY mould, then what is the best material? Could u start with say a block of body filler that was set into a plastic tray or something? Cos that stuff would be relatively easy to sand and patch up I would think. You could use an engraver for details like panel gaps, vents.. :wut:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

If I was making a plug by hand, I would probably use modelling clay. It is easy to shape, and if you take too much off, you can add to it and try again. For the shell itself, it wouldn't be hard to build a vacuum forming machine. You can also use an oven to make the plastic soft enough to form.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Cottees wrote:I have given making my own 3D model of a LC a try. It isn't turning out exactly how I'd like. I really need more practicing modelling cars.
That model looks suspiciously like a Cordia cottees (except the nose...)
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

This is the pic I was going by, so it definitely isn't a Cordia. lol.