sigma engine EFI conversion

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
chris1

sigma engine EFI conversion

Post by chris1 »

Hi,

I've got an offroad buggy... it currently has an old sigma engine in it, with twin 45 webers on it. I've been told by a couple of people that I can gain performance, and improve reliability by converting to an EFI setup (while making a bit of money off the webers....:) )...
I have a 91 TP Magna that I am wrecking, so was thinking maybe I could use the EFI gear/computer etc off of that?

was told that a few people on this forum have done EFI conversions, so wanted to get a few opinions on the best way to do it? :)

Cheers
panda

Re: sigma engine EFI conversion

Post by panda »

Hi Chris, & welcome to our forum.
EFI conversions to buggy motors are even easier than the road car conversions, especially since you have a donor TP Magna. Firstly you will need to replace your pistons with Astron II flat tops to suit the new Magna head which must be used as the EFI inlet manifold wont bolt up to the old Sigma heads. Then you fit the Magna dizzy, inlet manifold, sensors, loom & ECU, & high pressure electric fuel pump. With buggy conversions, there is no need to relocate the throttle body or water hoses to the radiator as they are already on the correct end of the motor for a rear engine buggy.
If you are already running a pair of Webers, I doubt whether the standard EFI conversion will give any more power, but will be more 'driveable' with a better spread of power. Others on this forum give you advice on mods to increase power.

panda
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
13bsigma

Post by 13bsigma »

i had twin 45s on a scorpion. sounded so cool :)
1978 GE sigma 57,000kms the toy called silvia. comming to the Gold Coast soon.
1978 GE sigma 87,000kms spare parts for the toy
1996 suzuki baleno turbo. $32,000 invested in it. $22,000 in the engine. $10,000 in sound
1996 suzuki baleno GTX. getting shaved and resprayed soon and receiving turbo engine
1980 GH sigma AKA JET.51G 18 PSI of T04 injected power.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

panda wrote: If you are already running a pair of Webers, I doubt whether the standard EFI conversion will give any more power, but will be more 'driveable' with a better spread of power. Others on this forum give you advice on mods to increase power.

panda
I think the 45s should make much better power than std magna efi and even the spead of power should be as good
13bsigma wrote:i had twin 45s on a scorpion. sounded so cool :)
yep they do sound good - I find on my engine they dont flow enough air though
a set of 50 mm or better still would be 55s
cheater
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

cheaterparts wrote:
panda wrote: If you are already running a pair of Webers, I doubt whether the standard EFI conversion will give any more power, but will be more 'driveable' with a better spread of power. Others on this forum give you advice on mods to increase power.

panda
I think the 45s should make much better power than std magna efi and even the spead of power should be as good
13bsigma wrote:i had twin 45s on a scorpion. sounded so cool :)
yep they do sound good - I find on my engine they dont flow enough air though
a set of 50 mm or better still would be 55s
my webers go hard on a cold night and there 42s
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Yes you can get power out of Webers but only if they are tuned right....if not tuned for your car they will run (as mine does) but if you get them tuned for your car they will be better.

If its standard engine with webers only as opposed to standard EFI engine.....i would have though that EFI would have more power??? but I may be wrong...I love the sound of Webers, im building a quad throttle body engine soon so will have the nice roar of webers with the power of EFI 8o|

If your thinking of selling the webers send me a PM I may be interested depending on your price (yes I did just say im building an EFI engine but i can run Webers on my current engine/head setup...better than single down draught mikuni haha)

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"