GJ Sigma To Rally?

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
hjubm2

GJ Sigma To Rally?

Post by hjubm2 »

I see theres quite a few people on here that are rallying Sigmas. I'm looking to get into rallying & have a GJ Sigma Super Saloon sitting in the backyard, so I was looking info/opinions on whether its worth converting it? Whats a Sigma like to rally? Currently the condition of the car is fairly bad with the engine/gearbox needing to be replaced & the front needing the lights & other parts fixed.

So is it worth it? Any opinions/advice is appreciated,

Thanx
gaz914

Re: GJ Sigma To Rally?

Post by gaz914 »

I had a GJ khanacross car until recently.

The issues as I see them as a rally car - from the point of view of someone has "raced" one.

Heavy - 1250 kg - about the same as an early Commodore.
Brakes - no easy upgrade, standard won't cope.
Diff - not the strongest thing, no easy upgrade.

Cost of cage, seats, belts, etc are the same for any car.

Personally I would do a Commodore before a Sigma :$

BUT, as a cheap motorkhana or khanacross car - go for it!

Then work out whether you really want to commit to a full rally car.

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 »

Thanks for the reply. At the moment i'm only looking to do club based events with the car close to stock. What's the steering like in race conditions? Its quite bad on normal driving so not sure how it would be when quick moves are required.

The main problem I have atm is trying to decide if I should get a different car thats running or spend a few hundred to replace the engine/gearbox.

Thanx
nosakifaki

Post by nosakifaki »

I'm doing a GK GSR at the moment mainly due to scoring two freebies, one of which was my old road car a few years ago and having a motor from a US import starion sitting around doing not much.

Is yours power steering? Thinking yes since it is a super saloon.
I had PS on my old road car a while ago and found it offered no feedback for spirited driving on dirt, the manual box however feels much nicer, if indeed you have PS try removing the belt and go for a run to see if you like it (will be pretty heavy on the road) otherwise go the manual box.

From the limited runs I had the car out in standard guise I found the brakes ok (disc all round) but on longer runs they may be an issue. Slotted/drilled available?

I am a little concerned about diffs and gearboxes with the extra power but have a couple of spares and will try my luck for now.

If you are just out for some fun I'd say go for it, you don't necessarily need to be competitive to have a ball!!

Now get out there and go hard!!!!
JA starion.
GK GSR Turbo.
BMW E34 540i.
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

hjubm2 wrote:Thanks for the reply. At the moment i'm only looking to do club based events with the car close to stock. What's the steering like in race conditions? Its quite bad on normal driving so not sure how it would be when quick moves are required.

The main problem I have atm is trying to decide if I should get a different car thats running or spend a few hundred to replace the engine/gearbox.

Thanx
For motorkhana and khanacross, the power steering was better than the manual - just because it was a lot quicker ratio.
No feel whatsoever :banh:

Best bang-for-buck modification is front suspension. I spent $500 on some pedders springs and shocks.
It went from an undrivable pig to a half-decent thing.

I would seriously suggest getting the scrap man to give you some $$ for the Sigma and add a few extra $$ yourself and buy something smaller that runs.

FWD, RWD isn't a biggie - but I do think RWD is more fun :)

An old Colt/Laser/Pulsar will get you started without breaking the bank.
Once you have the bug, then work out how you want to spend the $10,000 a rally car is going to cost to build or buy.

cheers
Gaz
nosakifaki

Post by nosakifaki »

I would seriously suggest getting the scrap man to give you some $$ for the Sigma and add a few extra $$ yourself and buy something smaller that runs.

FWD, RWD isn't a biggie - but I do think RWD is more fun.

Good point GAZ, KE30 corolla's would be pretty cheap nowdays surely, Had a couple of them as paddock bashers in my misguided youth,
really fun little car to drive and what I will probably buy my kids to start off in motorkhana.
Always wanted to find out how hard one would go with a 7k engine in it.
JA starion.
GK GSR Turbo.
BMW E34 540i.
hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 »

I was considering selling it for scrap but from what I've heard scrap prices are not that great at the moment. Was thinking of trying to get something like a pulsar/corolla/celica but have not seen anything cheap around here lately, most seem to be really over priced. Any idea what scrap prices for a sigma is atm?

Thanx
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

There is a sorted GE rally car, with cage etc on this very forum.
$5k and it could be yours.

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4031

Don't even contemplate building anything for that $$.

My Sigma was done on the super-cheap over several years and cost $3k, no cage.

cheers
Gaz
hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 »

Yea I saw that car on here but atm I'm looking to only race in the road car class to save costs.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

you should have a chat to panda I know he has been rallying a sigma for a while in club events
and is S.A. based
I think he has sold it now and is doing up a starion for rally - send him a PM he might be able to point you in the right direction

http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2358
cheater
panda

Post by panda »

Hi, as Cheater said, I had a Sigma rally car till recently, & at club level, its a very competitive car.
Mine was a GJ body, fitted with a GN Astron II motor with a Magna M6 head and TR injection, all managed by a Haltech E6H ECU. Gearbox was a Jap 5 speed & the diff was a 3.7 from a 2.0 manual GJ. (And I kept the power steering.)
Probably the single biggest expense was the springs (King) and shocks (Koni).
The car was super reliable having completed 15 rallies over 4 years and never had a DNF. This was part preparation, & part luck.
Call me on 0427 897 119 if you want to know more.

panda
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]