What turbo engine will bolt into....

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
H8DAG8

What turbo engine will bolt into....

Post by H8DAG8 »

Hi guys

Does anyone know (100%) if there are any turbo engines that will bolt into a 1984 Sigma, 2L SOHC 4g63 Carby model, RWD, with a KW132 5spd gearbox???????

Let me know if you know of any.

Have heard that turbo RVR engines will, then heard they wouldn't, and have heard evo/vr4 4g63ts will bolt in but I'm sure I've heard before that they don't bolt up to the gearbox?

Cheers
A112H

Re: What turbo engine will bolt into....

Post by A112H »

Easiest option would be to bolt on a Starion exhaust manifold and turbo, then source a Efi inlet manifold from a 2.0 HH, HG or HJ Galant.
Next would be to bolt in a complete turbo engine 4G63 from a Starion
Last option will be the hardest but will make the most power would be to fit a DOHC 4G63 head from a VR4 Galant or EVOI, II or III Lancer or RVR. This will also require fitting DOHC pistons as the valve relief in the SOHC pistons will foul.
The SOHC 4G63 in the Starion is a wide block and DOHC 4G63's are narrow block. I am not sure if the 4G63 fitted Sigma's and Scorpion's are wide or narrow, we never got them here :(
I think that makes sense, lol
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

as i understood it the vr4 engine swap complications came mostly in converting the thermostat housing at the back to pass the firewall. I had some info on it god knows what happened to it though...

hope the guys can help you coz there are sigmas on here that have already done it.
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
GLANT

Post by GLANT »

4g63 rvr or evo motor will bolt upto any narrow g/box...i used two litre astron fly wheel and clutch...easy.
http://projectzerog.com/forum/
check out this...its helped m with my 4g63 twincam project alot!
1972 GA GALANT/COLT, with a VR4 4G63T 151kw atw :-)
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

So is the KW132 5spd gearbox a narrow or wide block gearbox though??

And does that mean the vr4/evo engine WON'T bolt straight up?

Cheers
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

H8DAG8 wrote:So is the KW132 5spd gearbox a narrow or wide block gearbox though??

And does that mean the vr4/evo engine WON'T bolt straight up?

Cheers
Here's some topics for you to have a read through. You mean the KM132 don't you? Have a read through this.
Bolt in RWD Engine Upgrades
Wide or Narrow (Motor or gearbox)?

Lots more info can be found in our Ultimate Topic Directory (FAQ TOPICS) (UPDATED 21/11/10)

There's heaps of info there.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ah those links sound perfect cheers will have a read up tonight
As for the gearbox, yea probably KM132, I was told they were "KW" though :hit:
webby

Post by webby »

DASH 4G63's are fairly common over there from what I've heard, why don't you buy one of those and drop that in?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

DASH 4G63?? What is that? Never heard of the ''DASH'' part.
And, what are they out of? Will they bolt up to my KM132 box?

Also, can any confirm for me, is my current carby 4G63 SOHC a wide block one? And therefore my gearbox is a wide block gearbox? Or small?

Cheers

(PS haven.'t had time to read those links yet mate!)
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

H8DAG8 wrote:DASH 4G63?? What is that? Never heard of the ''DASH'' part.

Also, can any confirm for me, is my current carby 4G63 SOHC a wide block one? And therefore my gearbox is a wide block gearbox? Or small?

Cheers

What i know about the DASH-engines is that it has 12 valves in stead of 8 (the MCA-jet-thing? ) but i can be wrong about this...
A112H

Post by A112H »

H8DAG8 wrote:DASH 4G63?? What is that? Never heard of the ''DASH'' part.

Cheers

Mitsubishi 4G63BT DASH 2.0L 12 valve SOHC ECI Turbo
This was Mitsubishi's Big Gun 4cylinder Power Engine of the 1980's. It came standard eqipment in Performance spec FWD Galants and RWD Starion's. The DASH was available in a variety of power outputs ranging from 150kw @6000rpm to 155kw in intercooled guise.
-Certain models feature a Mitsubishi CYCLONE intake manifold which results in a higher torque output and can be identified by a CYCLONE badge on the DASH 12valve rocker cover
-Intercooled versions are often refered to as DASH 2.
-A very limited number of Factory Race Spec Dash engine's were built and are rated at 250kw.
Your gearbox should be a wide block if it hasn't been changed at some point. ALL factory RWD 4G63's were wide and ALL factory FWD 4G63's were narrow, including AWD.

So basically you need an engine from a turbo Starion, Sigma or Scorpion, even something from a EX Lancer will do the trick.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Thanks for that info mate, wow had never heard of those engines before!

I should have a wideblock? Thing is, the car came auto, 3spd. And I put the 5spd manual box in. Which is a KM132.
So will it definitely be a wideblock gearbox? How do I go about confirming this? Could it only be a wideblock if I've got a 4g63 SOHC carby? Or did those come in both wide and narrow
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

please do your research, there are loads of relavent threads to tell you 100% what gearbox you have, the same question gets asked countless times.

measure the gearbox at the bottom to bellhousing bolt holes

narrow =310mm
wide=330mm
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Cheers bud.
astronturbo77 wrote:please do your research, there are loads of relavent threads to tell you 100% what gearbox you have, the same question gets asked countless times.

measure the gearbox at the bottom to bellhousing bolt holes

narrow =310mm
wide=330mm
Sorry mate, didn't have time to search for it so thought I'd quickly post it up on the forum (not search engine).
Cheers for the measurements though - will measure today if I get time.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Ok so just got in contact with a friend of mine who used to have a EX Lancer running a vr4 engine.
Asked him what set up he was running as I was thinking of turbo'ing my sigma.
He said that I can do exactly what he's done, run a vr4/evo engine with a 5spd manual sigma gearbox (which is the gearbox he used)...

So...how come on here everyone is saying that vr4/evo 4g63t (DOHC) engines won't work? He seems to think they will, and that is exactly what he's done? He used a 5spd manual sigma gearbox (he doesn't know if it was a jap one or not) and a vr4 block with evo head and standard sigma engine mounts.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

evo engines are narrow block......

all RWD 4g63's are wide block.....

so it wont bolt up to your existing gearbox............. unless you change to a narrow box.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

So how would he have used a vr4 block with a sigma 5 spd box?
He knows the gearbox 100% came from a sigma.
And the engine was a vr block evo head engine.
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

The VR4 engine is a narrow block so it uses the narrow bellhousing. Will bolt straight up to the gearbox out of a 2.0L sigma.
The crank has a 6 bolt pattern, so the 2.0L sigma flywheel bolts straight on too.

Basically use a VR4 bottem end and everything out of a 2.0L sigma will bolt straight on. You will probably need to upgrade the clutch though.

My set up consists of the VR4 engine, sigma flywheel, sigma starter, and a supra 5 speed. While putting it in I did line everything up with the Sigma box and it bolted together fine. The rubber sigma engine mounts are fine, but the metal brackets that bolt to the block aren't. Starion brackets bolt straight on (and possibly other RWD 4G63 brackets). Alternatively you can use a pair of brackets off the exhaust side of an Astron, but you will need to drill an extra hole in them. The bottom hole on these line up fine.

RVR blocks should also bolt up to the gearbox, but i believe they use a 7 bolt crank. You would probably need a custom flywheel made to suit it.

Edited: Didn't realise you are in NZ. When referring to the 2.0L sigma engine I meant the Astron. Your engine mounts may bolt straight up, but if you have the wide gearbox like the Starion 4G63's you may need to track down a narrow one.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

H8DAG8 wrote:So how would he have used a vr4 block with a sigma 5 spd box?

not hard, obviously has a NARROW sigma 2.0l 5sp behind it! all factory rwd 4g63's are WIDE block, your car has a rwd 4g63 yes? then it WILL have a WIDE block gearbox and the FWD VR4 narrow block engine wont bolt up unless u change gearboxes!
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

astronturbo77 wrote:
H8DAG8 wrote:So how would he have used a vr4 block with a sigma 5 spd box?

not hard, obviously has a NARROW sigma 2.0l 5sp behind it! all factory rwd 4g63's are WIDE block, your car has a rwd 4g63 yes? then it WILL have a WIDE block gearbox and the FWD VR4 narrow block engine wont bolt up unless u change gearboxes!
Wrong, not all rwd 4g63's are wide block. Mine is exactly that, but narrow block 4g63 engine and gearbox. Evo/vr will bolt up to mine.
Just got confirmation. Cheers.
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

sick, good luck with it :thumpsup:
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

So your aussie ones must be different. RWD 4g63s in Sigma's came narrow block here, as mine is. 310mm approx between bottom 2 bellhousing dowels.
So now just need to find out all the info on exactly what needs modding for a vr block evo head conversion into a sigma
webby

Post by webby »

Your car was originally auto, yes? Then it's narrowblock. All auto rwd mitsubishi's are narrowblock, except for 2.6 jap starions which were wide (used the aisin-Warner a340 4-spd just like the 4wd's iirc, all other rwd mitsi's used either the bw35 or 904 torqueflite 3-spd's. Interesting sidenote, this means you can use a v6 pajero bellhousing and an autobox from a late 80's Toyota Cressida to use a 6g7x v6 in a sigma/scorpion.).
Yes a vr4/evo 1-3 engine will bolt into your car, using the existing engine mounts, gearbox, clutch and flywheel. I'd suggest upgrading your clutch though, as I expect the standard one will slip under boost.
You will need to massage the flywheel to fit the crank angle sensor, unless you use a non turbo rvr head. You will need to sort out the plumbing for the cooling system before the engine goes in.
Check out the twincam conversion section over at www.austarion.com, this is all covered in detail over there.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

massage the flywheel?
webby

Post by webby »

Dammit :facepalm:
Had flywheels on the mind, I meant firewall lol
-Josh.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

webby

legend

thanks