GE Auto rebuild

This section is for 1976 to 1987 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt Galant/Sigma/Lonsdale.
79SIg

GE Auto rebuild

Post by 79SIg »

Its been a long time but I am finally getting my 79 GE sigma back in a running condition. Its a 2l auto SE model, and has had the engine sitting in the corner of the shed for 3 long years awaiting for me to get the effort and time to get it back on the road!

Here are the specs for it as it will be after roadworthy

4G52 over-bored 1mm with new cast pistons
Stock camshaft with AR telstar dual valve springs
AR telstar manual choke carb with modified filter housing
Fully stock exhaust with shiny chrome tip, tip will be worth at least 10hp due to extra blingage
Standard stall converter and BW 3sp auto
Black steelies with chrome dress rings, Looking for a set of 13/14" hotwires if anyone has some!! Not urgent though.
Cream paint with matte black bonnet.

Will be looking at going to a draw through LPG turbo setup with a 3" Exhaust after a few months of letting everything get settled. Reason im using AR telstar parts is cause there is a spare head and carb out in the shed. Suprisingly the outer telstar valves are the same ID and OD as the sigma ones, just need to get some material added around the spring base and have it machined for the retainers to fit.

Will look at getting some pics up as I get more work done on it. Currently its sitting in the back yard with a bonnet with rust holes the size of your hand and no motor. Headlining is a bit dodgy but interior is in good nick, gonna buy some cheap seat covers for it and a new instrument cluster as the current one has been puled apart and chromebrited.... Also been wound back to zero km too... Not sure if that's gonna effect my RWC or not but it will be good for when the block gets fitted again.
79SIg

Re: GE Auto rubild

Post by 79SIg »

Pics as promised

Engine work for today, taken after I had some foods, more has been done now.
Balance shafts out and ready for "Lightening"

From shot of it, and that is not bird poo on the bonnet, ITS RUST!!!

And from the rear! It's going to receive a black pinstripe as i think it has enough chrome with the bumpers and wheel trims.
ddt

Post by ddt »

Cool. Props for trying to resurrect a GE back into service.
Where abouts
are you putting that pinstripe?
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

You can see where i took the chrome trim off the side of it, It will be going there, ill have to get Photoshop reinstalled as my computer decided to have some bad sectors on the hard disk, Not a total loss as it was only my windows drive :P

Any idea what other model bonnets will fit it? Need to find one cause it has actually rusted to the structural metal beneath :banh:

Also interior is in pretty decent condition condition, seats are a bit faded but ill just put some covers over the top to make them look new! Roof lining is a bit sagged but ill figure something out to get it looking better.
camB

Post by camB »

GH bonnets are the same I think. My current bonnet is off an 86 Triton :P But these don't have the chrome strip on the nose.
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Thanks for the info. Also I'm around the Gatton/Laidley area.

Progress has been slow, after removing the balance shafts and welding the oil galleries, I somehow managed to misplace the timing and oil pump chains.... :banh:

6hrs later i found them and got the engine to this stage

Starting to look like a engine again. Should be ready for firing in a few days!!!
Sparkington
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Sparkington »

Cool build :D I like the XB in the background, nice colour :D
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Went and got the head shaved today by lockyer engine reconditioners, had a nice little chat with one of the employees whilst I waited... Turns out he owns a sigma too, GH turbo 2l, found out that the bottom end is good for 20 psi, so ill be fine to run mine at 8 like I want to when the LPG setup gets done. Comp should be up around 9.7:1 now with the head being shaved and the overbore. Add the removed balance shafts and it should be nice and responsive!

Also went next door to the wreckers and they have a brand new 86-90 something triton bonnet in stock!!! gonna stop by there again and pick it up once we get our trailer back. Got the can of flat black prepped for that!!

That dads GT hiding in the background, having to be careful as the table I'm working on has to be moved to behind the mower so my brother can park his car in there.
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

So, ENGINE IS IN!!!!!

Got Oil pressure up, so thats all good there, only problem is the lack of bang and vroom......

Putting a BIM024 Ignition module on it tomorrow and seeing if that makes it more compliant. Also need a fuel pump, gonna just put a facet or something like that in it and run it instead of the cam driven one.

For now ill just use a bottle suspended above the engine with some fuel in it as a gravity feed into the carb, so I can get it running and ignition timed.

Will be do up a wiring schematic for anyone else wanting to replace their stock module for something that throws out 7A of current!!!
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

Nice work there, good to see others out there still playing with their GE Sigmas!!! Keep posting updates and photos please, let me know if you'd like me to do a small feature of your car and build on my Sigma blog/website: http://bad-sig.blogspot.com
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989

79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Thanks for that will have to get some more pics of it, haven't been able to get much done on it lately, still havent got it firing, but i think that its now a carb problem. Gonna have to rebuild the weber and port the intake to suit when I get the adapter plate. Also It wont need rejetting as it's off a pinto. And I will be able to handle boost, Apparently all i have to do is block the secondary air corrector jet and get a fpr and high pressure pump.

Will have to pull my finger out sometime soon and get it done but it's more of a money problem then a time problem
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Got my new bonnet for $20, is there any better colour then flat black??? Also I will be touching up the guards so there isn't any overspray on them
The xr beside it is my daily that will be getting retired to weekend and long trips, mainly cause it uses a lot less on highway driving!!
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Organized to buy a L200 chassis with 4g63 + Extractors and box!!

Saving up to get it and do the swap soon, hopefully doing this will solve the rebuilt motors starting issues as I beleive the auto to be shagged royally!!
79SIg

Re: GE Auto rebild

Post by 79SIg »

Picked up the L200 today, found out it had a surprising amount of extra stuff fitted.

It has redback extractors, newish clutch, new regulator for the alt, rebuilt carb, electronic ignition, two piece tailshaft, new air cleaner, hydraluic lifters, reconditioned head, decent amount of compression and doesnt blow any smoke.

Unloaded it from the trailer, hooked a pair of jumper leads up to the terminals and started it up. Been sitting for approx 4 months and fired on the 9th compression stroke. Bargain for the $450 I paid for it! Although it has no doors, dash, rear leaves, handbrake or brake master cylinder.

Now to start the auto to manual conversion on the sigma!! If anyone Is interested in the 4g52 that I rebuilt I'm gonna be selling it. Gonna create a thread in the for sale section and drop a link below.

Link: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9240
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Finished work early today, decided to rip out the old engine and box out and start to get things swapped over for the conversion.

Found out that even though the L200 pedal box looks the same as the sigma one, it is vastly different :banh:

So looks like I'll either have to modify the L200 or sigma one, orrrrrr go to the wreckers and by a manual pedal box :@

On another side note, hacked the exhaust off the ute and fired it up with just a supedear cannon on the pipe. Needless to say I now have my exhaust decided upon, extractors into a 2" system with the cannon as the only muffler. May fit a small box muffler later on if I find it drones too much or is too loud.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Mine has twin small cannons at the rear and a super turbo muffler under the drivers seat. 2.5 inch exhaust from front to rear.
I may be kinda biast but think it sounds awesome. Give it a guts full and it roars but I have sat next to 3 cop cars at the lights at idle in the last 6 months and never had a problem, even got a nod from one of them, lol.
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Gonna be staying with a 2" as its a basically stock with extractors, not too big or else it will have a torque hole.

I know what its like driving a NA with a huge exhaust and high rev extractors, My XR has pacemaker 4495's and a 3" 100cell cat leading into a xr6t system. One of my friends who works for ford drove it the other day and said it has a lot of boost lag, He didn't realize it was only na, but he said it pulls hard like a turbo so go figure....

Anyway, back to the topic on hand, might need to look at ordering in a decent radiator as well, as the sigma one is dead and the ute didn't have one, might just get the sig one recoed and get a VN water pipe and hack it to suit my needs.
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Grrrrr, went to both wreckers today..... Nothing :(

So Either I'm gonna have to hope someone on here has a spare one they dont need or try and fit the L200 pedals to the sigma auto pedal box :banh:

Also my fabrications skills are zero to nil with metalwork, Give me a wiring loom and I'll re wire the whole thing if need be..... I really need to learn to weld...... :facepalm:
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

Also went and priced up a new radiator..... $460!!!!! Thinking I could use something else instead...

Maybe this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hilux-LN106- ... 3a752f91fb

Pretty close to the original dimensions, Plus all alloy!!! And half the price!!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

79SIg wrote:Also went and priced up a new radiator..... $460!!!!! Thinking I could use something else instead...

Maybe this?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hilux-LN106- ... 3a752f91fb

Pretty close to the original dimensions, Plus all alloy!!! And half the price!!!
$460 for a sig radiator? Do these guys even want to sell it? :|
What about getting your original radiator recored? The hilux one may be thinner (and will more than likely be nowhere near the right locations or diameters for the hoses...)
79SIg

Re: GE Auto rebuild

Post by 79SIg »

Well, I asked about it getting re-cored.... then they said 360 just for the core....

Mounts might not be in the correct spot but they look close, and the radiator is designed for a 2.8l diesel in a much heavier vehicle so the rad should be more then capable of handling a little 2l petrol
A112H

Post by A112H »

I bought a massive 3 core alloy radiator from ebay, it is designed to suit a EH holden but it is the perfect size and has no holes drilled in the mounts so will suit just about everything. Mine is in a Galant but I think they are about the same size as GE/H Sigma's. Check the link, it has measurements in the ad.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Per-3-C ... 3a75caef94
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

geezer101 wrote:$460 for a sig radiator? Do these guys even want to sell it? :|
I would say no...

If your wanting a standard item still, I've got a standard one sitting in the shed *new in the box*, was purchased from another member ages ago.
Make me an offer if your interested.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
79SIg

Post by 79SIg »

So, its been a while between posts for this, but so far only minimal progress has been made due to either weather, lack of assistance or having to work. Ground has been too wet to move the L200 into the shed to pillage it for all the parts I need.

Have been able to get some electrical work done for the G63 to be dropped in though, Unwrapped the loom and relocated the alt cable and light so that they are the same length and location as the oil pressure sender and am working on doing a major upgrade of the headlight harness. Gonna mount a relay block where the little "surge tank" (for lack of a better term) for the carb went. There will be a total of 4 relays there, Low beam, Outer high beam, inner high beam and starter. So the lights should be nice and bright when I am done, and also retain the stockish looks.

Also looking at saving up and getting some 15x8 -0 steelies from a place in Brisbane. Brand new and 90 bucks each!! So it doesn't matter if I bend one, just buy a new one! Gonna get them powder coated gloss black and get some 15" chrome wheel trims hopefully it should look awesome. Also means the S13 brake conversion I am thinking of doing will also slot in nicely.