GC hardtop with GTO

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Nath76LA

GC hardtop with GTO

Post by Nath76LA »

Just thought I would post some pictures that I took today of My dad's (Toruhiwi) GC hardtop along with a fellow ex Colt Sporting Car Club members GTO that has fairly recently been purchased from NZ (The Colt Sporting Car Club was a Sydney based car club around the mid to late seventies which had several members with GTO's of different sorts, and then in the early eighties changed it's name to Mitsubishi Car Owners Club). Both have been notified about the Parramatta park event in may and hopefully will both will be there. I now want a GTO.

1976 Galant Hardtop
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: GC hardtop with GTO

Post by astronturbo77 »

wow i think ive just decided to paint my coupe red :D :D :D
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
kodos

Post by kodos »

:thumpsup:
Needs GA or GB galant front cut to resurrect a GTO. Please help if you can :mrgreen:
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I can't wait to see those 2 at the cruise. Hope they can make it...

:facepalm: I've never seen a complete original and running GTO. I looked at one for sale back in about 1993, but it had been stolen earlier in it's life and only had the standard 1.6 Saturn in it. It was a bit beaten around and had the front guards and bonnet replaced with fibreglass ones. The trims weren't complete on the front of it either. From memory the owner was asking $3500. It was red like the one in the pics...

I've posted the cruise on Japanese Nostalgic Car http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/index.php and also on Classic Colt http://classiccolt.forumcircle.com/portal.php

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Nath76LA, do you know what the non standard lower front indicator/fog lens are for on the GTO? The reason I ask is that those are a close match to the originals and the originals (either amber or clear of combo) are impossible to find.

Edit: looking at the photos of what I assume are of this GTO was up for sale on trademe it had the original amber lens and the grill was the original colour. Trademe photos below for those interested.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

dwlee wrote:Nath76LA, do you know what the non standard lower front indicator/fog lens are for on the GTO? The reason I ask is that those are a close match to the originals and the originals (either amber or clear of combo) are impossible to find.
No , I'm not to sure. I did notice these but thought they were an original item. The owner of the vihicle may know. Those photos do look to be the same car( steering wheel, speekers on the arcel shelf etc) and I know he did paint the grill. As the owner of the car used to own a GTO back in the seventies, they maybe some he had from back then. I will get my dad to ask him.
1976 Galant Hardtop
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Nath76LA wrote:Just thought I would post some pictures that I took today of My dad's (Toruhiwi) GC hardtop along with a fellow ex Colt Sporting Car Club members GTO that has fairly recently been purchased from NZ (The Colt Sporting Car Club was a Sydney based car club around the mid to late seventies which had several members with GTO's of different sorts, and then in the early eighties changed it's name to Mitsubishi Car Owners Club). Both have been notified about the Parramatta park event in may and hopefully will both will be there. I now want a GTO.
I was a member of Colt Sporting Car Club when the name change went through.
Mitsubishi (Australia) wouldn't let us use Mitsubishi Car Club, so it was changed to Mitsubishi Car Owners Club.

Colts and Sigmas were new cars then...
Galants and Lancers were less than 10 years old...

Don't remember most of the people though :facepalm:

Cool pix :thumpsup:

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

According to the factory parts catalogue, GTOs during their production run, (which incidently came in 9 models plus 2 autos) had 5 different park/turn light assys and 4 different lens styles, The A57C had the option of 3 of these depending on the Jap or export market......confused?

The ones on this car look genuine as I had a look at them on Saturday........ I think the present owner has the full amber ones as well. The split ones would have been required for him to register the car in NSW, where clear park lights are required.

Hi Gaz.
I used to own the "Tobacco Leaf" coloured GA sedan in the early CSCC days (it was originally cream before I inverted it on the Oxley Highway in '73), then a mildly modified L300 Wagon.

Roger
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Rodger, not confused, I also have the factory parts manual and workshop manuals of all GTO models. Its just that they look bigger than the standard A57c lens and the bezel is more rounded in the corners and sticks out a little further. If you could find out if they are original (from A53c or A55c) or where your mate got them from it would be much appreciated.
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

dwlee,
You are correct, they are not genuine items. They were new in a box of maybe discontinued stock.
The owner sourced them from an obscure wrecking yard so that the car would pass "blue slip" inspection and is going to try and find out the brand. I do recall Hella used to make lights of that style many years ago.

Upon inspection of old CSCC photos, at least one GTO had split amber/clear lights.
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Thanks Rodger, any information would be most welcome. The GTO brochure in the other thread show a split amber and clear lens and I have also seen clear lens with an orange bulb/reflector for the indicator.

The GC/GD Galant Hardtops that came to NZ were of the 1850 type where the indicator/driving light was below the bumper and the lens very different to the GTO, but I see your car has them mounted in the bumper and they appear to be the same size as the GTO. Can you check to see if the size is 140mm by 70mm overall with the mounting screw spacing at 120mm and the edge of the divider 50mm from the edge of the lens?

Dave
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Dave,
I hadn't realized you were NZ located. Not too many GTO parts and shop manuals on the West Island.

I am originally from Waikato/ King Country and remember seeing new 16Ls then GTOs in dealerships over there on my frequent return trips during the 70s. Was wondering when they were going to arrive here, but Chrysler seemed determined not to sell anything performance oriented from Japan........ Maximum 1600cc single carb for Oz!

Yes, I had noticed the Kiwi A112Hs have different park/turn at the front. I shall measure mine and reply, I think I also have several spares burried away.

More info on these mystery ones. My mate has just emailed me, they are Narva #86000 which still seem to be available in Oz. (just checked their Website)!!!

Roger

PS......I have been searcing NZ for 4G63 factory twin carbs and cam (I shall search out the cam ID#) from a Sapporo. Are there any still around? I had some which I bought back to Oz about 1990, but they were sold years ago with a 4G63 powered GB sedan I had..... Damm
Last edited by toruhiwi on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Sorry to interupt but..........................
http://mrspotlights.com/index.php?main_ ... =1&sort=1d
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Thanks for the great info, I'll have to see if I can find these locally.

I've set my country flag. The west island did miss out on a lot of good small cars, which I think was to protect the sales of the larger "high performance" locally made cars. The early non-balance shaft Astron is a nice motor (as long as you didn't loose coolant) and lighter than the latter variants.

The twin carbs and cam from a 4g63 Sapporo are pretty rare now in NZ, but that said the carbs do pop up on trademe now and then as do twin sidedraft manifolds. Its quite rare to find older (pre 85) Jap cars and parts in wreckers these days.

Dave
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

The measurements on my lens's certainly match up. They have a Stanley #041-667. I don't have a GC/GD parts catalogue to cross refer the lens part # to MMC.

Roger
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Thanks Rodge, I'll see if the Stanley part number is the same tonight.

Dave
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

On one lens I have 041-6671L, on another 041-6671R, and on NOS 041-6924R (Mitsubishi part # MB031328), all are identical apart from the Stanley number. From the A57c parts manual the amber part number is MB031328 and for the clear MB031327.

If someone with a GC/GD parts manual could you find the Mitsubishi part numbers for the indicator lens mounted in the front bumper?

Dave
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Should have worn my glasses....
Yes, 041-6671L and on the OPPOSITE edge of the SAME lens 041-6671R, which indicates that this lens can be used on either side of the car. I have a RH and LH light with the same lens numbers. The lamp bodies are, incidently, ALSO marked 041-6671R and 041-6671L respectively, with a large "R" and "L" respectively stamped on the rear and are contoured for each side of the bumper bar.

Looks as though the lens may fit the GTOs........

Roger
Last edited by toruhiwi on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
77GDWAGON

Post by 77GDWAGON »

GD parts manual lists the lens as MB046407
My wagon has stanley no 041-6924 on one side and 041-6671 on the other

Both the GTO and hardtop look great. Always wanted a hardtop.
1977 GD GALANT station wagon owned since 1988
dwlee

Post by dwlee »

Rodger, I should have look closer as well as I didn't pickup the L and R numbers on the same lens :$

77GDWAGON, thanks for part numbers.

Dave