Sigma Brake Booster

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Galantish

Sigma Brake Booster

Post by Galantish »

Just wondering is it hard to change a normal master cylinder from a GA/B Galant to a PBR brake booster from a sigma? looks to me like a easy swap but wondering if anyone has done it before and had to change anything
Last edited by Galantish on Mon May 09, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaPhil

Re: Sigma Brake Booster

Post by gaPhil »

Your GA/B has a brake booster?
71 GA Galant - Project
Build thread is here: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5600
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Hey Gaphill

I wish hehe na just the stantard one but want to put a sigma one in it the PBR one, Had one in my GC 2.6 years ago (Wasnt fitted by me) but it stopped alot better then the standard one thats for sure. What i dont get is the breaks have been upgraded in my GA but they left the original one in there strange

Regards Matt
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

my GB does :D but all a booster does is reduce pedal effort it wont make your brakes stop any better
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Hmm ok i thought they helped with the breaking myself hmmm silly me
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

It wont make you stop better but its a good upgrade, makes them nicer to drive if your not using 2 feet to stop it :D
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

hehe true

going to get one tororrow if i get time :) Dont like driving with the original one on more like need 3 feet to stop it hehe
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Ok got my new well second hand break booster

Any tips on fitting it to my GA?

Looks like i might have to do some mods to my pedal box so it can bolt through the firewall

Also looks to me but i might be wrong but it looks like it maybe a very tight fit around the wheel arch and also with the break lines do i have to changed the due to the diffrent booster??

Any help would be great :)
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

Galantish wrote:Ok got my new well second hand break booster Any tips on fitting it to my GA? Looks like i might have to do some mods to my pedal box so it can bolt through the firewall Also looks to me but i might be wrong but it looks like it maybe a very tight fit around the wheel arch and also with the break lines do i have to changed the due to the diffrent booster?? Any help would be great :)
things you need, left and right brake pipes (longer), an extension piece and connector for rear barke line, correct mastercylinder (for booster, the one you had is for non boosted, whats on the booster?)
never fitted a sigma one so I dunno how it will fit, mine has GTO/GS type, have seen GD ones fit ok, there is a factory depression in the RH inner guard but it might not be big enough
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Thanks for the reply

The one i got at the moment was from a GE sigma so its just the normal PBR type thats on it

I remmber when i had my GC when the guy before me fitted the 2.6 he put in the sigma PBR breakbooster and looks to me like he didnt do much to change it to fit. From memmory the lines for it were changed i remmber he was saying.

Regards Matt
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Hey

Well looks like i will have to do a lot of changes to fit my sigma one to my GA :( I have seen a GA on here somewhere (Blue one) that had a sigma one fitted. Even if i do fit a GD one to it still have to change it alot (drilling holes into firewall and break pedal bracket :( Because the original one is only 2 bolts and the sigma/GD ones are 4 bolts

Will have to upload some pics for people to understand better

Regards Matt
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote:correct mastercylinder
This is critical ! The stock GA/GB cylinder is a 11/16" Nabco ... you need the one that came from the boosted car (I think Sigma MCs are the same as GC/GD ? 7/8" PBR if I recall)

Ideally you should probably change to GC/GD/Sigma discs & calipers as well (and possibly rear wheel cylinders ?) - the master & slave cylinders are designed to work as a package, and doing a mix & match can stuff up your brake balance big time if you aren't careful.
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Thanks for the reply

Well i found out that the front breaks have been replaced with sigma disks but what i cant work out is why if they did that upgrade put a brand new non servo master cly in? The rear ones have been replace with wagon drums if i remmber correcly. Never really had a look myself but i know the front ones are sigma ones :)

Anyway i was looking at a mates LB lancer today who has a servo unit. Looks to me like i can do a easy swap with that. Has the same mounting holes ect to bolt it up with :) So hopful i can find one as this sigma one i got will be alittle tricky to install Dont really want to muck around drilling holes ect with it. I think i can also bolt up the new master cly in to just the servo unit as it looks the same :)