What motor can I use without engineers certificate

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
2Lgalant

What motor can I use without engineers certificate

Post by 2Lgalant »

Well I'm tossing up between 2 litre and 2.6 still for the gb please help me guys its doing my head in lol I'm still leaning on 2 litre but i don't want to get an engineers cirtificate to much hard work but yeah someone tell me what should I do.

And another thing how much and how hard is it to put a hilux diff in or should I just send the original one away and get it made into a LSD

As much help would be greatly appreciated
75wagon
Admin

Re: What motor can I use without engineers certificate

Post by 75wagon »

If you go for a 2L or 2.6L you'll need an engineers cert.
To get a Galant rego'd with either of those motors you will need a brake upgrade (to meet the braking capabilities of the car it came from) and also have to meet the emission controls of the car it came from.

In NSW the limit for engine capacities under 1000kg's is worked out by weight. I did the sums a while ago (you may want to check again) and the largest motor allowed (and registrable) in a Galant body is 2700cc N/A and 2300cc in turbo applications.

I hope this helps.

I can't help with the Hilux diff conversion but you will need an engineers cert for that too.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Hmmm :( that sucks don't want to pay $800 just to go up 400cc Stupid laws
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

my cert cost me $600 for the 2.6 in my gc coupe and upgraded brakes
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

where did you get urs done at dvsfin?

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

the guys name is robert elliot, his number is 0403 328 574 he is from blacktown way I think. He came to my house and did it for me
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Haha thats really funny caus one of my mates is using him for his Celica. My mate said he was pretty good about it, gave him a list of things to do and he would then sign off on the certificate. Reasonable price too.
Its always handy when they come to you when your car isnt running instead of you trailering it round trying to get it certified.

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Given that the 2nd generation Galants (GC/GD) were available ex-factory with a 2L ... just not in Australia, although I believe the Chrysler workshop manual for them includes the 2L ? .... then you might not necessarily need a 2L conversion to be engineered in a GC/GD ? Similarly with the brakes .... if you could demonstrate by reference to the workshop manual that the 2L factory version had the same brakes as the 1.6L then it should be OK ?

Doesn't help with a GA/GB conversion of course ....

Re Hilux diffs ..... with a bit of modification it is apparently possible to put a Hilux LSD diff centre into a Galant housing. I don't know the precise details of how it's done, but that's what David Officer & Steve Ashton run in their GA/GB rally cars.
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Ahh bugger it I'll just put the 2 l in and see what happens if it passes it passes if it doesn't I'll just have to get it engineered.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

For what it's worth; I got my GD registered with the 2lt astron fitted, the guys doing the road worthy did question it at first. As above though, once I pointed out that they were released with that engine they were alright about it.

Taking it in to Vic roads they didn't even say boo about it - I'm not sure whether that was because they didn't click what it was, or that it didn't matter. Either way I wasn't going to ask :lol:

Just out of curiosity, why don't you go to your local Vic roads and roadworthy place and "ask them" what they will do if you brought the car in with what ever engine under the hood? At the end of the day, a forum is a forum, if you are wanting a hassle free road worthy / registration, then ask the right people :thumpsup:
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Motor reg in S.A. accept a 2 litre without an engineer's certificate as it's a nut and bolt install and hasn't radically altered horsepower or vehicle dynamics. The 2.6 would require being pitted in for an inspection (but everyone usually just reports an engine number change and not much else!) In S.A. an engineer's certificate doesn't guarantee a modification will pass anyway...