Gearbox randomness question

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
greengalant

Gearbox randomness question

Post by greengalant »

Hey guys i have a 4g32 in the galant i have atm and i plan on keeping it. The issue i have is it has a silly auto box on it and was curious besides the stock 4 or 5spds that go onto them is there other newer gearboxes that fit or has anyone tried to make fit? I was thinking for their size maybe a rx7 box just due to the size of the rotors or something like s2000, mx-5 im not sure myself but hey only putting it out there to see what is possible :thumpsup: :thumpsup:
A112H

Re: Gearbox randomness question

Post by A112H »

For the price of a second hand S2000 or MX5 gearbox you could get a narrow block 5 speed rebuilt.
greengalant

Post by greengalant »

yeah i am aware of costs and when time comes that will be the most likely route i will be taking but no harm in asking is there :wut: :wut:

although
http://www.mx5plus.com.au/part_list.php?cat=11
5 Speed Gearbox NA6
We have NA6 gearboxes in stock. They come with gear lever but without knob or speedo drive.
$350.00 each
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

best bet is what bolts in - Mits 4/5 speed - anything else and your looking at custom bellhousings, weird clutches ,special speedo cables ,custom mounts.... $$$$$$$$$$ why not the mazda engine as well????
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
A112H

Post by A112H »

And the 5spd MX5 box was pretty weak, you would want the 2001 or newer 6 spd if you were to bother.
By the time to get everything to fit, cut hole, make cables, fit hydraulic clutch systems. For a lot less money you could get the Jap 5spd fully rebuilt using stronger Starion parts, buy a H/D clutch, lighten the flywheel and get it fitted with redline oil.
A 4G32 is never going to make enough power to make getting a custom box viable, IMHO
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Getting rid of the auto trans - I get it. But if you're going to swap it out for a manual get the lot, engine and gearbox. It will save you wasting money on panadol. It will eliminate some of the work, you'll still be left dealing with the pedal rack and modding the firewall. If it's power you're after with less stress getting it together, get the works out of a 2.6L auto scorpion (drivetrain, struts and front brakes) Will need minimal mods for it to work. Tail shaft, trans mount and shift connector rod, exhaust. The T904 is a far better trans than the borg.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

A stock manual box will just about last forever behind a 4G32. From what I understand the 4 speeds are quite robust, and that its the 5's that are a little fragile but only behind something with a lot of torque (like a 2.6)

The most popular gearbox option seems to be a Toyota supra box with a custom bellhousing.
Only worth the expenditure if you're punching big numbers.

For what its worth I'm running a stock 4 slotter behind a 4G63 twin cam in my coupe and its holding up fine. It was a bit shagged before the motor went in but it doesn't seem to be getting any crunchier.

The trick will be finding one. There's plenty of 4sp kicking around, but narrow block short length 5sp are a little more scarce (namely because those who have them won't let go of them)
I assume you know about the differences between narrow and wide block boxes? If not, hit that search button. :thumpsup:
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
greengalant

Post by greengalant »

i dont plan on doing anything any time soon just thinking out loud but yeah when i do plan on doing it will b to a 5spd box...i know where there is a secret squirrel one (A) (A)
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

just want to add some question on this thread.
was planning to change my 4 spd tranny to a 5 spd tranny. any 5spd nox that would bolt-on without cutting on the tranny tunnel?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Not that I know of?

The Lancer and Sigma 2lt 5 speeds have the gearstick position about 50mm further towards the rear of the car (then the 4 speed), so the gearstick hole needs to be elongated to take it.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

have a friend who had a ga/gb wrecked on a junkyard. paper said its a 4door ga/gb but had the 5spd gearbox on it. normally like what you have mentioned if we use the 5spd gearbx from a sigma and lancer it is positioned 50mm or 2" further towards the back.when we tried to put the 5spd trany from the wrecked car into a sigma or lancer boxtype we were puzzled to see it was 50mm or about 2" towards the front . so this means it was a bolt on fit for a ga/gb? although we still have not tried it on a ga/gb :(
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

colt72jay wrote:any 5spd box that would bolt-on without cutting on the tranny tunnel?
Only a genuine 5 speed Galant (or early Lancer ?) box, I suspect.

I just pulled a 5 speed Galant box out of a wrecked GA on the weekend ... it will get refurbished and go into my GB. It was originally a s/hand import JDM box back in the 80s (attached to a late model 1600GSR motor). As you can in the pic, it fits without cutting the tunnel. Only one I have ever seen here.

colt72jay

Post by colt72jay »

im jealous!! :@
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

davetrees wrote: As you can in the pic, it fits without cutting the tunnel. Only one I have ever seen here.
I'd be curious to see a pic of that box when it's out? I'd like to see the shifter location arrangement.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Yeah, can do. I haven't brought it home yet .. ran out of room in the car ! It's covered in crud (I don't think the previous owner washed the car after it's last rally 20 years ago ) so don't know exactly what box model (KMxxx) it is.