Extra Fuel Line Added But Why?

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
Galantish

Extra Fuel Line Added But Why?

Post by Galantish »

Ok trying to work out why someone has added a extra fuel line to my tank in my GA. Can someone take a pic of there fuel tank (sender unit area) of a GA/B for me so i can see whats going on here. Its a extra line connected into the fuel tank and next to the line is the original hose to the sliver box on the left side of car near fuel filler. Just want to make sure that this is line that has been that does go into that connection on tank so i can reconnect it back up again for RWC and remove extra fuel line from car. Cant see why it was fitted for, The only thing i can think of it to push more fuel into fuel pump but with my experience with a GC 2.6 coversion running same carby setup 32 36 webber it only used the origianl line and i never had any issues before hmm.

Cheers

Made a pic of sender unit to show this extra line

davetrees

Re: Extra Fuel Line Added But Why?

Post by davetrees »

They're breather lines, not fuel lines. The fuel line comes out of the tank underneath the car on the LHS.

Breathers run from top of tank, up along under the parcel shelf, then connect to the filler pipe. (Too dark outside to take a pic at the moment !)

Looks like your car might have had the tank replaced with a later (GC/GD) one or something ? The GB certainly doesn't have the "silver box" (which is a vapour n expansion tank I think ?) & I'm pretty sure the GA doesn't either.
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

I must be having a moment today :facepalm: note to self check before writing hehe i thought they were fuel lines opps

Well what someone has done is connect to a breather line to the inlet of the fuel pump for what reason i dont know. I am just going to get rid of it and connect the breather back up
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

How have they connected a breather to the fuel pump inlet ? How does fuel get into the carb ?

Stock GA/GB fuel pump is 1 inlet (from tank) + 1 outlet (to carb) .... if it has 1 inlet + 2 outlets, it's probably been swapped for a later model fuel pump with a return line to the tank - I have no idea how they are meant to be plumbed !
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Its got a 2.6 siggy motor in it and yeah i dont know even if there is anything coming out of it. Out of fuel pump has 2 ins (standard sigma one) so im guessing someone thought hmm need a extra line ill just put it here. Going to pull it off tororrow and see if there is anything there, The tank looks original so i dont think its a diffrent one from GC/D. The original fuel line is still there and connected to tank from the LHS and car does run/drive so there is fuel coming in from the original line i dont reckon there is anything from the breather one still got me beat but.
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

I ended up removing the line connected to the breather and connect the breater line back on blocked off the extra inlet on the fuel pump and didnt change anything of car what so ever so still dont know why it was fitted? The only thing i can come up with is it was a return line
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

by davetrees » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:54 pm
They're breather lines, not fuel lines. The fuel line comes out of the tank underneath the car on the LHS.
Breathers run from top of tank, up along under the parcel shelf, then connect to the filler pipe

??? why wouldnt you refit them as Dave said?
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Galantish wrote: Out of fuel pump has 2 ins (standard sigma one) so im guessing someone thought hmm need a extra line ill just put it here.
I don't understand what this means ..... ??

How many connections are there on the fuel pump ? If it has 3 connections, they will be :
1. Fuel inlet from tank to pump
2. Fuel outlet from pump to carb
3. Fuel return line from pump to tank

Dunno much about Sigma motors ... did they have a fuel return line ? (GA/GB Galants dont)

Options :
- if its a pump with return line, then you will need to plumb it back to the tank (maybe they used one of the stock tank breathers to connect it to ?)
- alternatively, replace the pump with a GA/GB Galant (1 inlet/1 outlet) one ? .. personally that's what I would do, but then I like to leave things stock. If I wanted an Astron motor, I would buy a Sigma :lol:

I think your most immediate purchase should be a workshop manual by the sound of it ....
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

Hey

Thanks for the reply

What someone has done is connect a new line from the breather to one of the inlets to the fuel pump being a sigma one is has 2 inlets one outlet. I removed the line from car blocked off the extra inlet and everything is sweet. I reconnected the breather up. Still dont know why it was fitted as when i took the line out it was complely dry (had the car running before removing to see if it did anything)

(Out of fuel pump has 2 ins (standard sigma one) so im guessing someone thought hmm need a extra line ill just put it here) that comment was for who ever fitted the line to car before me

I already got the greogies manauls but they dont show the lines on the fuel tank (breather ones)
Galantish

Post by Galantish »

If I wanted an Astron motor, I would buy a Sigma :lol: true that alot less mucking around thats for sure but ive owned a GC with a 2.6 before and was very happy with how it went on the road (being a auto also hehe)