Busted Head studs

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
JRGC94

Busted Head studs

Post by JRGC94 »

hey guys
i have a GC Galant with a 4G32 motor in it, we were trying to replace the head gasket as it leaks, because it is over 30yrs old, as we were undoing the head studs, which are an allen headed bolt, we stripped one, we tryed to remove it with a impact wrench and have had no luck, we'd prefer not to drill it if we can. But does anyone know/have any good ideas on how to remove one?
any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Tom
davetrees

Re: Busted Head studs

Post by davetrees »

Why not drill it & use an easy-out ? You're going to have to re-tap the hole anyway, if the thread is stripped ....

Note - new genuine 4G32 head bolts are NLA (unless they happen to match something else) but it's fine to use good s/hand ones .... they don't stretch when you torque them up.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Is it in a place where you can get to it with a grinder (most likely not). But if you can, grind off the head of the bolt. Then pull the head off and use vice grips on the shaft.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

I'd still go for the drill and gently remove the stripped out socket head on the bolt- you'll have way more control over the whole process. The chance of hitting something with a wayward angle grinder in the confined space of the head is too high plus the amount of grinding debris flying around will invariably end up somewhere you really don't want it...
C_Fernance

Post by C_Fernance »

What about welding a nut to it, then using a normal socket on the nut?
A112H

Post by A112H »

+1 for welding on a nut and using a socket.
But, you could see this as the perfect oportunity to ditch the Saturn and slip an Astron in there, lol
HEMI26

Post by HEMI26 »

+2 for welding a nut on and using a socket
Current Cars
-GJ Scorpo Turbo (Current Project)
-VQ SV90 #098 (Finished)
-74 RX3 12A Coupe (13B Extend Port)
-HR31 Passage GT (New daily) 4 Sale inbox for details

Some Old cars
-RX8
-VQ (Slammed on 19's)
-GL Scorpo (Immac std 58000ks)
-GK Scorpo N/A H/C (RIP 146.8rwhp)
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Ah ... you mean you stripped the in- hex head on the bolt ? I assumed you meant you stripped the thread (although I did wonder how you managed to do that .....) What happened .... wrong size or cheap quality hex key ?

Welding a nut onto it is probably the easiest then .... or just use a hammer & punch & tap it around in circles .... that's how I got one of mine out earlier this year after I snapped the head off it.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's all good about the welding on a bolt, but the next question is: Does he have access to a welder?
I agree, it would be the best method, but the standard DIY'ers garage would generally not have one.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Another option ..... depending how badly the head is stripped, belt a slightly oversize hex key into it ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Either way it seems we are having this conversation without the original poster, lol
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

davetrees wrote:Another option ..... depending how badly the head is stripped, belt a slightly oversize hex key into it ?
A good quality oversized torx (star) I find works better.

Cheers..
JRGC94

Post by JRGC94 »

thanks for the help guys, we actually have a pretty well equipped work shop, mill, lathe, stick, mig welders, drill press, more tools than you can poke a stick at, so we have the resources. my father managed to drill the top out and we managed to undo it by hand after that... go figure! but got it out without damaging the head, cam, valves and so on. will be replacing all the studs, thanks for all the tip's, greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Tom