Bilstein conversion for Galant

This section is for 1969 to 1976 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Plymouth/Dodge/Colt Valiant/Galant/FTO/GTO/Colt/Cricket.
davetrees

Bilstein conversion for Galant

Post by davetrees »

I recently scored a set of Bilstein suspension for my 1973 GB Galant rally car ...

ImageImage

Just for reference purposes, the Bilstein part numbers are :

Front inserts : P36-0136-H0 (lists as BMW 316/318/323/325)

Rear shocks : B46-0258-H0 (lists as FJ55 Landcruiser/Hilux/Nissan 720/Navara)

These have been custom valved, and I can't guarantee they haven't been modified in some other way to make them fit (although they don't appear to be) but I figure the part numbers would be a useful starting point for anyone considering a similar upgrade.

Dave
tandanus

Re: Bilstein conversion for Galant

Post by tandanus »

Whoah ! Nice !
Standard GB struts?
If so, what are your brakes and coils? Are the springs captured?
(Still havent solved the camber problem with my Scorp struts on GA, so looking for an alternative).
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Strut bodies, hubs and brakes are stock - as required by Historic Rally Car regulations.

The springs were custom wound by Lovells to suit the shocks - not sure of the rate - but no capture problems etc.

I run stock strut tops on my car, but Steve Ashton (who these came from) and Dinta Officer run adjustable tops custom made by Heritage Suspension on theirs - to get some castor & camber adjustment.
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Cool, I've been thinking about what to put in the back of Morgan - since I don't really have any 'rules' to worry about, I was thinking something from a 4WD anyway.
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI