nissan engine in a mitsubishi

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
hallows1

nissan engine in a mitsubishi

Post by hallows1 »

hey guys,
am in the market for a coupe lancer, and am wanting to do an engine swap, as I had a nissan exa, with an e15et, long story short, the car rusted out, but the engine is totally customised, has been bored out to a 1.7L, has a nice t28g turbo, titanium bits all thru it, forged pistons, etc.
Is it possible to do this conversion? and if so, what would i need to be able to do it??
Billsy

Re: nissan engine in a mitsubishi

Post by Billsy »

good luck with that, the ET is FWD and youd need to do a RWD conversion on it.

i think youd be better selling the 15et and getting a 4g63t instead, as its a direct bolt in and all the hard work has been done.
plus its a bigger motor and will easily out perform a modded et engine
Insert witty one liner here -->
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

BLASPHMEY!!!!!!! Nissan engine in a Mitsubishi :o

But yea im with Billsy on that one, 4G63, easier to change to rwd (if its an evo motor) or already RWD (if starion motor).

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

hallows1 wrote:hey guys,
am in the market for a coupe lancer, and am wanting to do an engine swap, as I had a nissan exa, with an e15et, long story short, the car rusted out, but the engine is totally customised, has been bored out to a 1.7L, has a nice t28g turbo, titanium bits all thru it, forged pistons, etc.
Is it possible to do this conversion? and if so, what would i need to be able to do it??

Hey Hallows, Im assuming you would like to keep your engine as you have already invested alot of coin into the motor build.
Mate i have no idea about those Nissan engines... Are you aware of a Nissan RWD gearbox that will bolt upto it??

Is the sump oil pick up at the front of the motor?

What would be needed...
The list is long and expensive, unless you can fabricate many of the parts yourself?

Im assuming you are looking for a LC or maybe LB Lancer coupe?

Custom engine mounts, custom gearbox mounts, Custom exhaust, Modified Tailshaft, Buy the gearbox, Clutch,
Depending what you want to do with the car, and how you want to drive it, you may want to weld the diff, or replace it, as you cant buy a LSD for them.
Depending what side the Radiator hoses are, you may have to make custom radiator hoses, and pipe work, or replace radiator to suit?
Rewire for Altenator, computer, fuel pumps.
Will probably need to modify transmission gearbox hole for stick,
May need to Modify clutch cable and mounting brackets, Accelerator cable....

Many other small things...

Have you thought about dropping it into a small Nissan FWD car for a street sleeper?
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

....just a thought
Dont nissan engines run exhaust down passenger side of car? This could cause you problems as Mitsubishis are designed for driver side of car.
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

thats pretty easy to overcome, no different to the SR20 others have fitted, but yeah adds more mucking about,
Swapping fuel lines room for muffler next to the fuel tank unless you cross the exhaust over.

One Advantage is less heat from exhaust to effect the Brake master cylinder...

Honestly anything is acheivable, but i wouldnt invest the money or time.

I would put the motor Gbox you have into a Samll FWD and sell it, or enjoy it.
And if you like the Lancer, id run a 2.6, and hang a turbo off the side.
Would be cheaper to set up, and straight forward, and you get much bigger capacity...
lancersr20

Post by lancersr20 »

I agree with all of the above !

Take it from someone who is STILL currently finishing off an SR20 into an LC Lancer :z

Will be a brilliant car ..................... when finished :(