A73 (LA) GSR in Retro Car Mag

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
Torana68

Re: A73 (LA) GSR in Retro Car Mag

Post by Torana68 »

crap...... anyone overseas will call an Lancer A73 a A73 why? Cause its not an A72 and its not an LA :wut: we will call a LA an LA because thats what it is. If you could go to one dealer for parts and asked for a part, whats the first thing this Mitsubishi guy will ask? "what model" is this cause hes a dumb arse? or because he knows that model dssignation is an important thing? he would then refer to the parts book for that model, why? cause they are all different, not the same, they look the same yes but things evolve and differnet parts are used. "just a Mitsubishi model designition"? what the? thats exactly what it is its the same in Chrysler circles youll be called a wanker , better yet Ill call you a wanker ,if you suggest a local valiant is a Dodge because they are basically the same just different badges AND JUST A CHANGE OF MODEL DESIGNATION? crikey you guys...... I

so following on from that for a sec are you guys really thinking that an A73 designated car is worth the same as a LA? or is it that as its "just a different model designation" you can now all run around saying you have A73's? or worse GSR's? we never got real 1600 Lancers here so an A73 would be rare and differnet a GSR is rare anywhere or doesnt that matter cause they are "all the same" :think:
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
A112H

Post by A112H »

No, you would need to be half blind and wearing an eye patch to confuse a VJ Hardtop and a 73 Challenger or a VH Charger and a Gen 3 Dodge Charger. They are very different cars and a silly example to make. Do you regard a Plymouth Wayferer and a Valiant Wayfarer differnt cars because of engine options and badges??
I think what everyone is trying to say is that regardless of what badges or name is used in local markets you can trace your car back to the manufactures model. Every Lancer that has A72 or A73 or whatever in its vin number is an A72/3 known locally as a LA. Every Galant that has A112H in its vin number is an A112H known locally as a GC. Every car that has 510 in its vin is a Bluebird known locally as a 1600. A Vauxall Monaro/Pontiac GTO is still a VZ Monaro no matter what badges it has on it. A Hillman Hunter/Dodge Husky will always be a Rootes Arrow and so on.
If I still had my LA Coupe and wanted to buy brand new tail lights from Japan would they know what I was talking about if I asked for LA tail lights????
If I asked for A72 tail lights would they be exactly the same as the ones I had?????
There is your answer!!!!
Last edited by A112H on Sat May 01, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I didn't say anything about what a car is "worth" ..... anything is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for it - they have no intrinsic value of their own.

The Galant, Lancer, etc are still a Mitsubishi design car, regardless of what factory they were bolted together in or whether they have a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth/whatever sticker on them, and the various mechanical & trim specs got different names in different countries ..... but that's just marketing/badge engineering, really.

For example ..... if I take an Australian assembled Lancer & drop a 4G32 motor into it, how is it really different in practical/functional terms (performance, handling, etc) from one that had the same motor fitted ex-factory in the USA or Japan ? To my mind, the differences would only be cosmetic - badges, trim, etc that varied between markets. I certainly wouldn't pay any extra money for the "genuine" one, because it isn't going to be a "better" car in any meaningful sense .... but by the same token I wouldn't try to pass it off to someone as an original car, either.

We just have different ways of looking at things I guess ....

(Sure, I wouldn't mind finding some 16LGS badges, indicators, grille etc for my Galant ... but that's only because I would ideally like to build a replica of a particular car of historic significance in Australian rallying. I doubt I will ever find them at a price I would be willing to pay, though !)
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

NThey are very different cars and a silly example to make.

never specified did I ? try R series and the S series, the point is model designation is there for a reason to DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN CARS, this is how the entire car world works, if you guys want to start your own little empire where everything is the same go do it, but if you dont like it tuff titties you cant change how it is to suit yourself.

Do you regard a Plymouth Wayferer and a Valiant Wayfarer differnt cars because of engine options and badges??

your a wanker, of course they are different, turn up to a Chrysler club with one and call it the other and you be a ? WANKER! :D

I think what everyone is trying to say is that regardless of what badges or name is used in local markets you can trace your car back to the manufactures model. Every Lancer that has A72 or A73 or whatever in its vin number is an A72/3 known locally as a LA.
local cars are registered have a chassis number commencing LA1 therefore they are LA's thats because they came through Chrysler Australia, again your a wanker if you think someone in a Mitsubishi club in Japan, America or Europe would recognise them as anything but an Australian build LA

Every Galant that has ...
Lancers discussion here....

A Vauxall Monaro/Pontiac GTO is still a VZ Monaro no matter what badges it has on it.

I can only assume you know very little about cars this is plain stupid to say

If I still had my LA Coupe and wanted to buy brand new tail lights from Japan would they know what I was talking about if I asked for LA tail lights????
are you asking someone in Japan? if so no,.....here at a Mitsubishi yes cause they would look up the LA parts book.

If I asked for A73 tail lights would they be exactly the same as the ones I had?????
depends and your showing a lack of knowledge again only the early GSR's had the same lights,74 on they are NOT TH SAME AS YOURS

There is your answer!!!!
yes here's yours WANKER!!! (in the nicest possible way of course :D )
)
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

[quote="davetrees"]I
For example ..... if I take an Australian assembled Lancer & drop a 4G32 motor into it, how is it really different in practical/functional terms (performance, handling, etc) from one that had the same motor fitted ex-factory in the USA or Japan ? To my mind, the differences would only be cosmetic - badges, trim, etc that varied between markets. I certainly wouldn't pay any extra money for the "genuine" one, because it isn't going to be a "better" car in any meaningful sense .... but by the same token I wouldn't try to pass it off to someone as an original car, either.

Dave its not in a sort of way but it is .... I can build a GS Galant or GSR Lancer replica but it wont be either or worth as much , my point. You can call anything anything you want but the real deal is the one worth paying more for, Ill try one more time a LC Torana GTR drop a XU-1 engine and box in what's the difference?????? same car right? no way in hell....... think outside rallying where it doesnt matter at all and think about collector value and reality, reality is Mitsubishi and Chrysler will say they are different and I think the same any car club will differentiate your car on its model desig and Sig Gal shouldnt be differnet , its my opinion and Im happy for people to think diferently but some are ....well.... I think we know where I stand :D
another quick example South African Ford Fairmont GT's they are the same as XY GT's here right? no they are not sold as XY GT's here when re imported cause they are different, are valued differently and anyone in ford collector groups knows it
Torana68

Re: LA GSR in Retro Car Mag

Post by Torana68 »

dan sorry I missed your post....

So My Australian model does have the A72 (Did Aus actually get A73?).
no

And The Australian dealers changed that naming tittle of the vehicle to LA/LB
no the Chrysler factory "assembled" LA's from parts, or so they say, I dont know how much "assembly" they did but they did give them a new chassis number and complied them to ADR's and attached a ADR plate at the factory in Adelaide.

Or is there more to it than that?
yep more but I dont feel like listing the entire parts book with all the little bits :)

So going by what people are chasing, and what is popular and in demand, Only the Japanese version is sought after?

um no but there is large interest in "JDM" cars and yank ones have pollution gear up the ..... Id like a 71 dodge colt due to its differences and despite what the tug mutttons say they are different, there is also the turbo Plymouth Arrow (which is not an LC hatch) that would be good to own, but in Lancers its the JDM ones that are the goods....(assuming you wouldnt go to Japan to but a povo spec Lancer that is, cause we have those)

Is that the equivilant of the Japanese version of the A73, and the Australian LA GSR?
no LA GSR's... never imported here by Chrysler

----------------------------------------------

Mine is the LA with A72 (1400), is that also different to the Japanese A72 (1400)?
different interior other than that Ive never looked? but Id assume ours is povo povo pove in comparison to the JDM one

Or is it only the A73 (1600)
A73 1600 only exist outside Aust (unless anyone has one that was privately imported) I wouldnt buy an A73 unless it was a GSR or I wanted to use a NZ A73 to build a replica works GSR but you may as well start with an Australian A72 but youd have more fun if you had a chassis number for an A73 on the car as 99% wont be able to pick if its a GSR or not if its a good replica.

Thanks for your patience and infomation Torana![/quote]
im fast loosing patience.....
A112H

Post by A112H »

your a wanker, of course they are different, turn up to a Chrysler club with one and call it the other and you be a ? WANKER!
I dont appreciate the abuse from someone who needs to resort to insults rather than admit he was wrong.

Moving on!! :z
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

to be fair I did warn you :) but I really dont care what you think.
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Torana68 wrote: Dave its not in a sort of way but it is .... I can build a GS Galant or GSR Lancer replica but it wont be either or worth as much , my point. You can call anything anything you want but the real deal is the one worth paying more for, ....... think about collector value
That's the difference between our viewpoints .... personally I couldn't care less about collector value & the like. I accept that some people do .... and I wouldn't criticise them for having that view. It doesn't make my opinion any more or less valid than their's.

I wasn't aware that this forum was intended to be some sort of purist "marque car club" ? If so, I am obviously in the wrong place - I joined as a way to share information with people with similar cars to my own.

Just because someone has a different opinion to your own (and that's all I ever expressed - a personal opinion - I never suggested that what I said should be everyone's viewpoint, or that I am right & everyone else is wrong) doesn't make them a wanker or an idiot. Try being a little civil hey, particularly with people you don't even know ?
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

That's the difference between our viewpoints .... personally I couldn't care less about collector value & the like. I accept that some people do ....

not the point really just part of it, we got around to "identity" and I cant see how there can be any other that the generally accepted one , world wide, insurance wide, car sales , dealers, valuers, car collectors, across all the different people - model numbers. When there is no model number people fall back to years to help ID a car. This is not my idea/proposal or thoughts its how it is.

Try being a little civil hey, particularly with people you don't even know ?
I call a spade a spade if it doesnt work for you it doesnt bother me one way or the other just how it is :) if I think someones being a ......... Ill probably tell them, cant be any confusion then.
squidge

Post by squidge »

After having a quick read through this thread, I have to say, I honestly agree with torana68... Dude, you are a complete knob jockey! Seriously, if you put HSV badges on a Commodore Acclaim does that make it a HSV? Ummmm..... No, it doesnt.
Dont be a muppet :facepalm:
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

EDIT -
Now please, let us be Gentleman here!
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

SQIDGE i think you are missing the ideals behind what we are saying.

Its not Holden Exectutive, and HSV Monara we are talking about.

It would be more like,

If the Holden Monaro comes out in Australia with HSV stamped under the bonnet.

Then The body is sent to America, Still has the HSV stamp on the body, But they rename it GTO.
They use same panels, but different Front Grill, different front bumper, Different interior.
And they might use LS1 only instead of the LS2 we have...and being American will use inferior suspension haha

Then It gets sent to UK, still has HSV Stamped, but now its called the Vauxall Monaro.
Similar body kit, similar interior, use the LS1 engine...(Yes i know they get the LS2 also, its just a compairison exercise)

All bodies HSV, all made here, all panels come from here
but there is only ONE true Holden Monaro...
squidge

Post by squidge »

That wasnt even what I was getting at? I never said anything about a Monaro, because a Monaro is not a Commodore.. Hm, maybe I was talking about a HSV Senator???
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Yeah man thats what i mean,
what we are talking about isnt the difference between an Exectutive and a Senator.
A base model against a high end model.

Its early Lancers released in different countries.
Same as it would be Monaros in different countries.
squidge

Post by squidge »

Lancers released in different countrys arent the same - A Honda Prelude made for Jap standards is different to one built for Aust standards, which is different again to one built to USA standards... My point being, yes its the same model and shell etc, but they are still different cars! Aclaims are the same model as a Senator, but its not the same car.. :banh: I was under the impression that some drop kicks in this thread were saying early model Lancers are the exact same car no matter what country they are from
toruhiwi

Post by toruhiwi »

Wow.......................

Getting back to Nath76LA's original post.....

The A72/73 Lancers (or whatever else you may want to call the original design), were never sold in the USA, so are extremely rare there. The fact that this is a GSR version makes it doubly rare.

Australian 2 door LA came in "EL" trim only, which was more basic than the "GL" only 4 door.

Our LB version BODY was sold in US as a Dodge Colt (2 Door or 4 Door).......and I'm not saying it was the same as the LB!

Cheers, Roger.
stealth

Post by stealth »

geez get your facts right guys!
it seems everyones a expert on the subject
so here i go
yes 20 A73 were sold in aus
yes thay were sold in the USA
yes there a competely different chassis that takes all the same panel work
and yes if you bought one of the originals A73 from a aussi dealer it had a aus complaince FITTED BY THE LOCAL DEALER
to comply with ADR's
so in stead of going each other maybe do some more research before claim to know!
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

deleting posts you dont like again Stealth? now there was nothing wrong with my post except I was pointing out your wrong again, man up, dont delete stuff just cause your wrong :) and cough up with the photos of the A73 or pull your post that you own one.
for the record:
No A73 GSR's imported by Chrysler
No ADR plates fited by anyone except the factory
stealth

Post by stealth »

pm sent
for the record torana68 i have nothing to prove to you !
as far as it goes at least three members here have seen the car and can confirm its geuine
and yes i will delete your post if there offensive to me or anyone one else in any way !
try to remember that your opinion is only as valid as the next persons, and as you cant prove what you say ,it not a good idea to pick fights
please be a little more mature in the future
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
Mr Aerospace

Post by Mr Aerospace »

Ok, as I've been out of the loop I totally missed out on being a smart arse on this one, so I'll sum it up as I see it:

So what if the A73's are better! They would have been bought by top level rally teams, had entire C3 packages installed on them and slowly modified with better parts as technology came along. After 20+ years of rallying, the majority of the A73's would have tasted a tree and then been convieniently squished into a nice little cube and recycled into airliner cutlery. In reality, the A73 has become so rare that it is actually not worth bothering to search for them anyway, so those of us who actually want to enjoy our cars, and stumble across a rusty old A73, should sell it at an exhorbitant price along with your C3 Qantas spoons to Stealth! :thumpsup:

BTW, didn't they name it GSR for the first Safari Rally cars? I don't care either way, the guy who finds an original 4dr safari rally front quarter window assembly will have the coolest LA Lancer ever. Full Stop.

On a serious note, to stick a spanner in the "works" ( :ban: bad pun!) and reignite the (hopefully civil) debate;
Is it even possible to use original C3 parts in an engine without serious collectors deciding that
a) the engine is not 100% C3
b) the part is worthless because you used it
c) remanufactured parts or other possible improvements to C3 (while still being period possible) actually devaluate it because it just isn't C3 anymore?

I'm curious because I've got a few bits collected that ARE original C3 (or C2 for those who want to remain dogged about the naming issues)...but as I'm never likely to get all the original bits, I'd actually like to use replica parts with them, because, hell what I've got would make one awesome engine anyway.

(oh and before anyone quips in, I am quite aware that I may have created an actual post where there are more cliches than is physically possible! :hit: )
Splatmarker

Post by Splatmarker »

Calling a bloke a wanker is like saying a lawn mower cuts grass.
Last edited by Splatmarker on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

Calling a bloke a wanker is like saying a lawn mower cuts grass.
lol

You know what they say. 95% admit to it, the other 5% are liers.
1976 Galant Hardtop