Fibreglass Lancer panels

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
BIG26L

Fibreglass Lancer panels

Post by BIG26L »

Has any been down this route for an LC hatch or know who has moulds, before I start handing my fibreglass guy bits and pieces to make.
dirtjockey

Re: Fibreglass Lancer panels

Post by dirtjockey »

I've got moulds for the bonnet, boot & flares for an LA - not sure if the panels will fit.

de
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Nowhere near it, but thanks.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Hi!

I've found this link in the yahoo-group of the Plymouth Arrow: http://www.hairyglass.com/
scroll down and pick "Arrow" in the list. They have several things but I've never bought something there. So I don't know anything about the quality or service or whatsoever of it. Just share the link with you...

Cheers
Sven
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Nice! Thats a good start....... I can only imagine the shipping costs
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

I would be interested in fibreglass panels for an LA lancer :)
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

+2 interested in a boot and bonnet in fiberglass..... :|
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

+1 for flares
slimer

Post by slimer »

i would be down for bonnet, boot etc etc.....anything you can get for an LA 4 door...has anyone made fibreglass doors?....i'd be keen as for 4 doors......imagine the weight you could drop....
Mobile mechanic, cheap rates. Servicing, headgaskets, clutch & brake repairs etc...BRISBANE
http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-V ... Z199141038
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

There's not a lot to be gained with glass panels on an LA. It needs to ultra thin for any real advantage. Maybe 4-6kg. A loy of aftermarket glass panels are actually heavier than the steel ones you start with!

An LC on the other hand will lose between 12-15kg with this treatment. Keep the info coming.
dirtjockey

Post by dirtjockey »

I've got the moulds but I'm not interested in making sets off them (but someone else could) - I own a manufacturing company and we used to have a big Fiberglass section but I closed down that part of the business (actually moved it to the US) - at one point I got the guys to make me a set of moulds for the bonnet, boot, flares and I think there is even a mould for the passenger guard. I've still got all the layup tables, chopper guns, gel coat guns etc. but no fiberglass staff anymore. So if someone was interested in making a few sets of parts I wouldn’t have a problem (I’ve got no time). I’m in Brisbane (boyracer has been to the factory a couple of times so he knows where we are)

I also agree that by the time you make a decent strength panel (2/3 450 layers) then there is bugger all difference in panel weight (but at least no rust!)

Thanks

de
Rally_2.6LC
Location: Either under a car, on the computer or in bed...around Ryde

Post by Rally_2.6LC »

Big if you get a fibreglass bonnet made let me know.
Does anyone know if fibreglass panels are legal for the road??? (dont see why they wouldnt be, I know some carbon fibre panels arent allowed because they dont break in an impact, apparently bonnets go really well at decapitating people...... :| )

Cheers Matt
'75 GC daily (slowly dying)
'80 LC 2.6L rally car (generally something broken until 2 weeks before an event)
'71 GA 2.6 Turbo project (i only wanted the diff and got another project)
^This side up^

Formely "Matt"
A112H

Post by A112H »

Basically, anything that opens and closes or is considered structual has to be factory steel and fixed items can be fibreglass. So really just front gaurds, but they have to have the same height wheels arches, so you can't slam your car then raise the wheel arches so it measures up, lol . Adding flares and extra width is okay as long as they use all the original mounting points.
This is for SA but I am pretty sure it is the same in most states these days
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

dirtjockey wrote:I've got the moulds but I'm not interested in making sets off them (but someone else could) - I own a manufacturing company and we used to have a big Fiberglass section but I closed down that part of the business (actually moved it to the US) - at one point I got the guys to make me a set of moulds for the bonnet, boot, flares and I think there is even a mould for the passenger guard. I've still got all the layup tables, chopper guns, gel coat guns etc. but no fiberglass staff anymore. So if someone was interested in making a few sets of parts I wouldn’t have a problem (I’ve got no time). I’m in Brisbane (boyracer has been to the factory a couple of times so he knows where we are)

I also agree that by the time you make a decent strength panel (2/3 450 layers) then there is bugger all difference in panel weight (but at least no rust!)

Thanks

de

Anyone in Brisbane keen to make some pocket money???

Sound like a great offer to me!!!!!!
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

So we have the LA/LB sedans sorted!

Anymore info on LB/LC hatch's peoples????????????????
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

You should of kept the race car then you wouldn't have this problem. lol
1976 Galant Hardtop
BIG26L

Post by BIG26L »

Cheers Nath,
Its been 10 years since I had the old LA! I've kept parts of it, engine etc.........
The only reason I got rid of it was it was so full of bog, I couldn't take anymore weight out of it without a full strip back and rebuild!
I'm doing an LB/C just to be different. Should be a good thing though.............
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I didn't realise it was that long ago but then again you sold it just after I sold my red LA whichquite some time ago. I'll be looking forward to seeing the new car some time. :thumpsup:
1976 Galant Hardtop
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

Regards Blue
A112H

Post by A112H »

^^^ Are they suggesting that a L200 and LB LC Lancer hatch uses the same front apron/stone gaurd??
Ya learn something new everyday.
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

The advert is if you look through the fitment guide:
It lists:
80 Plymouth Arrow Base 4Cyl 2.6L 156CID

79-80 Plymouth Arrow GT 4Cyl 1.6L 98CID

79-80 Plymouth Arrow GT 4Cyl 2.6L 156CID

79-80 Plymouth Arrow GS 4Cyl 1.6L 98CID

79-80 Plymouth Arrow GS 4Cyl 2.6L 156CID
Regards Blue
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

And there is a lot of LC lancer in the front of a D50/L200 light truck - grill, bumper, bonnet, guards and lights are all interchangable albeit not always of identical appearance.
Last edited by aussiblue on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Blue
aussiblue

Post by aussiblue »

And fortunately as there was also a few common parts in Dodge/Mitsu Trucks as well we also have these new headlights housings with matching halogen sealed beams available from Hella Australia that fit the LC Lancer and have the exact same dimensions as the originals:

http://db.hella.com.au/container.html

1024 Headlamp Housing
Description Headlamp housing to suit all 200 x 142mm rectangular headlamp units. Ideal for truck, bus and body builders

I have them in my LC.
Regards Blue