Help!!! 33 chain to 32 belt conversion

This section is for 1973 to 1981 Chrysler/Mitsubishi/Colt/Dodge/Plymouth Lancer/Valiant/Celeste/Colt/Arrow.
foR

Help!!! 33 chain to 32 belt conversion

Post by foR »

Ok so I have a 74 la lancer 4g33 chain and putting in a 4g32 belt with balance shafts motor. Spent all day hunting down flywheel and exhaust manifold to fit and now it's in but the engine mounts are waaay off... The bolt pattern on the block is horizontal on the 32 and vertical on the 33 but no way are the mounts on the 32 wanting to match up with the rubbers...

Help :(
Last edited by foR on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Re: Help!!! 33 chain to 32 belt conversion

Post by 75wagon »

The chain to belt conversion I did years ago bolted straight in?

What is the belt drive out of? Is it a fwd drive one?

Can you take the mounting brackets off the 4G33 and bolt them onto the 4G32?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
foR

Post by foR »

Not sure what it's out of. Is bolted in o the gearbox ok. Cant use the 33 hard mounts the bolt vertical and the 32 hard mounts are horizontal.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Here's the mounts off my 4G32B. This motor is a Balance shaft motor, so the mounts wont fit from a 4G32. But a non balance shaft 4G32B should interchange with a 4G32. I can take pics of the one in my hatch if you want?
This motor came from a RWD Galant.

Passengers side or right side from front of car

Drivers side or left side from front of car

Are your mounts the same or different from these?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
foR

Post by foR »

Same mounts but look like they need to be half the height in rubber to fit.. Are l300 mont holes 90mm like these are? Repco msg shoes them being short but no measurements and they have none in stock
Last edited by foR on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I've never played with L200's so I'm sorry but I'm unable to help with that one.
foR wrote:Same mounts but look like they need to be half the height in rubber to fit..
So the motor sits too high?

I'll go have a look at my hatch and se what the mounts on it look like.

Dave...
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

My lancer hatch mounts
These are 40mm high instead of 55mm like the Galant ones

If these are suitable, then they are fitted to an 1979 to 1981 LC Lancer Hatchback

EDIT: I just checked the distance between the bottom mounting holes it's 90mm between centres on both.

Dave...
foR

Post by foR »

Sweet am looking them up
foR

Post by foR »

Any other cars that come out with 40mm mounts? Can't find lc mounts at rEpco
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Try the GD Galant, I had a GD motor with the same mounts on it.

Dave...
foR

Post by foR »

No dice the GD repco had were 50mm
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

I'm guessing the 4G32 in your LA maybe out of a fwd Colt like the 4G32 in my LA. The motor in mine was pulled out of my brothers old LB a couple years ago and so the engine mounts had already been converted. My dad was the one that fitted it to my brothers LB about 13 years ago and for memory I think he used the early L300 engine mounts.

If you can wait till Monday I can find out for you as my dad is up in Brisbane this weekend.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
foR

Post by foR »

Sweet cheers man repco have ordered me 4g32 l300 mounts as they looked similar should be here Monday =D still open to suggestions though :)
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

if its a FWD 32 belt drive engine then the mounts wont bolt up to the block, i had a colt engine in a gc wagon with custom mounts to get it to bolt up.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
foR

Post by foR »

Solution found. MT8023 (repco part #) dihatsu/Toyota mounts I didn't measure them but they are probably around 30mm which makes the motor sit perfect and right in the mount holes.
foR

Post by foR »

Rito after much hunting for parts we had no idea off what they were but knew the application the motor is in with Dihatsu/Toyota engine mounts and econovan thermostat housing lol Iliana few other random bits and pieces the 1600 is in!!

Question 1

Installing a electronic fuel pump, where to get power from and do I need a relay and why.

Question 2

Throttle cable and outer sheith are both too short.. Suggestions of sellers or custom applications?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

foR wrote:Question 1

Installing a electronic fuel pump, where to get power from
Power needs to come from an ignition positive.
foR wrote:and do I need a relay and why.
I'm not sure of the current draw on an electric fuel pump, so I'm unsure if you need one?
Relays use another circuit to switch on and off without adding extra load to that circuit. Circuits are designed to run only a certain load so they blow the fuse before they do damage to anything.
I used a relay on my motorbike to run my heated grips. I used the taillight wire to activate the relay (motorbikes have their headlights on if the ignition is on so it was perfect) and then used the battery as the direct power source to supply the power to the heated grips (with an inline fuse of course).
foR wrote:Question 2

Throttle cable and outer sheith are both too short.. Suggestions of sellers or custom applications?
I used a Fiat 131 accelerator cable, they are really long, I had to cut off as least a foot of length from both the sheath and the cable. I then used a screw on cable end.

Hope this helps?

Dave...
foR

Post by foR »

Thanks for the info man where would I find screw on cable end? I think that sounds like what I'll have to so
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

I bought my cable and screw on cable end from Revolution Race gear they sell all sorts of performance stuff and accessories.

Dave...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

re electric fuel pumps ...

First , ask yourself do you actually NEED one ? For normal street use on a carbied car, the answer is probably no ... unless it is to fix a particular issue (like vapourisation due to the mechanical pump getting too hot).

If the answer is "yes, I need one", then do it properly ... use a tachometric relay (such as an LPG solenoid relay .... cost < $50) that will only allow the pump to run if the engine is running, regardless of whether the ignition is switched on.

If you are determined to "bodge" it, there is no need to connect it to the coil - just use any wire from an ignition switched circuit (although a relay isn't a bad idea for any electric accessory). I reckon you would be mad to do so from a safety perspective though .... what happens if you crash the car & the ignition is still switched on ? The pump just keeps pumping fuel .....
foR

Post by foR »

Thanks for t reply mate, we had an electric pump laying around so I bought a tachometric relay today and we farted around with the motor and decided to see if it fired and the mechanical that was in it which the night befor decided not to work decided to work so we havnt bothered with the electric but it is now a backup option :)

Throttle cable now fixed too and getting a custom one made
leen

Post by leen »

I had so many little problems when trying to fit and run an electric pump on a day use car that I spent the $72 and went back to a mechanical. It took 5 mins to fit and the car runs perfectly.Lesson learnt.