Building turbo manifolds

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Billsy

Building turbo manifolds

Post by Billsy »

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyones done any real testing and has some ideas as to what size and length runners will be best on the 2.6
Will be running a 35/40 with external gate

I was thinking of using steam pipe, but i can get stainless for cheap.

was thinking of making somthing similar to this, using either 38 or 40mm runners

or maybe a ramhorn shape...

Opinions?
Insert witty one liner here -->
amehel0

Re: Building turbo manifolds

Post by amehel0 »

you will probably have less issues with steam pipe. the amount of restriction at the exhaust turbine really makes 'high performance' extractors pointless except where absolute efficiency is needed. plus steam pipe is more resistant to heat and less likely to contract and expand.
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

if you use stainless ,make the flange plates out of steel . stainless expands more with heat than steel ,so the flange in stainless will grow in lenth and theres a good chance of shearing off the studs

if you use steam pipe you can get short and long radius weld on bends - it may make it easier to make
cheater
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

ill definitely be using stainless for the flanges.
though ill have to investigate the steam pipe further. i would prefer it as its easier to work with than stainless, stronger, better thermal properties and probably wont need bracing like the SS
but i dont have any contacts for it, i can likely make it for around $100 in stainless and can get bends done in any degree that i want. which is handy
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

man any engineering/machining supplys/ industrial supply's should have ample steam pipe. i think cheater is saying don't use stainless, use plain for the cylinder head flange and i agree. use cast for that if you can or a steel with low thermal expansion/contraction.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

oops, just read what wrote last time, just to fix up, i WONT be using stainless plate for the flanges, will be plain steel.
trying to get some prices on steampipe now, cant find mych online, so will do the ring around at lunch time.
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

I like to use 12mm plate for flanges as it gives you plenty of meat if it needs to be surface ground, last lot of bends i got was from onesteel, from memory they were $3.50 each

I usually take an exhaust manifold gasket to an engineering shop that can do profile cutting and have them cut the flange plates
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
amehel0

Post by amehel0 »

most engineering supplies will have steam pipe bends instock