Nice EFI cam

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
A112H

Nice EFI cam

Post by A112H »

As the title suggests guys, I am looking for a nice, mid range cam for the Asstron. Don't need silly revs or anything but it is getting choked over 4500rpm and has a noticable flat spot from about 3800 onwards.
I am running a TN/P set up with stock ECU but have the slightly better TR/S injectors already fitted.
Not expecting a race car but would be nice to rev every now and again. At the moment it feels like a diesel, lol, all torque and shifting at 3000rpm
A112H

Re: Nice EFI cam

Post by A112H »

This one from Camtech seems about right to me http://www.camtechcams.com.au/mits_4cyl_4g54.html
P/N - CT107712B(a)

While I am asking, is it worth spending any time or money on the cam while running the noisey bloody lash adjuster rocker gear or should I just grab a roller rocker set up and get a cam to suit that?
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got this from Crow cams. How does it sound?
Cheater? Superscan? Anyone, lol
******* CROW CAMS SELECT PROGRAM *******

16 COLBERT RD CAMPBELLFIELD 3061
phone (03) 9357 0469 fax (03) 9357 0001
WWW.Crowcams.com.au

MODEL TYPE
---------------------------CROW COMPUTER CARD----------------------------
| PART NUMBER 107704ohc L/C 112 Date 6-APR-04 |
| Cam type: Asysmetrical profile Read in Head CUSTOM GRIND |
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Advance Ground on Cam: 2 Lobe separation: 112 |
| .075 VALVE TIMING ( Measured at the valve with no lash ) |
| Inlet opens: -8 BTDC Closes: 32 ABDC .075 Duration: 204 |
| Exhaust Opens: 36 BBDC Closes: -12 ATDC .075 Duration: 204 |
| ADVERTISED VALVE TIMING |
| Inlet opens: 16 BTDC Closes: 56 ABDC ADV Duration: 253 |
| Exhaust Opens: 60 BBDC Closes: 12 ATDC ADV Duration: 253 |
| Inlet lobe lift at TDC on the over lap: 00 |
| Valve lift Inlet: .4544 Inlet Rocker Ratio: 1.00 |
| Valve lift Exhaust: .4544 Exhaust Rocker Ratio: 1.00 |
| Valve Lash Inlet:.008 Valve Lash Exhaust: .012 |
| RECOMENDED VALVE TRAIN COMPONENTS Kit Number: |
| Valve Springs: Spring height: Collets: |
| Retainers: Pushrod: Lifters: |
| H/D Timing Set: |
POST CODE
GE This CAM has altered LOBE CENTRES and is a CUSTOM GRIND when
ordering you must send this Selection sheet or make sure to order
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

:-|
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
lance

Post by lance »

I don't no much about cams and l have never driven a 2.6 astron with EFI.
What makes you think its the cam ? Is it common to have noisy valve lash with these engines ?
A112H

Post by A112H »

The cam decides when and where in the rev range an engine makes power. All I am after is moving that maybe 1000 to 1500rpm up the rev range.
I don't expect it to quiet the lifters. As they say if it is a Asstron, if it ain't rattlin' it ain't runnin' :D
lance

Post by lance »

Its just that you were saying that it gets chocked up at 4500 thou and has a flat spot over 3800 .
l just thought that an standard astron should breath ok to 4500 to 5000 before it starts to run out of breath.
A different car l know but my fist car was a 6year old Datsun 510 . I was young and stupid but it could get 60 mph out of 2nd gear . Then for some reason after a while it jumped a couple of teeth on the timing chain and bent some valves. The head was rebuilt and fitted buy a mechanic but from that day onwards l could only get 45 mph out off 2nd. It just wasn't the same car.
Back then l had no clue about engines but I took the rocker cover off and checked the tappets .
To the repair manual they were at correct clearance's and the car still did 45 mph. So for some reason l took the rocker cover of and adjusted the tappets so that there was a couple of thou less clearance. Took the car for a run only to find that it was back to 60 mph in 2nd gear.
l know a nice sporty cam would suit you car far better then a standard cam and l will be interested to see what you get.
Mark
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Could it be a problem with the secondaries in the carbi making it run out of puff? Thought I remember reading that they had trouble with these and the diaphragms?

Mine seems to do the same thing and was going to check them out next time I am home.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

SteveG wrote:Could it be a problem with the secondaries in the carbi making it run out of puff? Thought I remember reading that they had trouble with these and the diaphragms?

Mine seems to do the same thing and was going to check them out next time I am home.
Take note that A112H was talking about the EFI set up from a TM/TP Magna. But you're right about losing power from mid range up if the secondaries aren't functioning on a carbied engine...
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thanks Geezer, You beat me too it.

Was just sitting here and the light flicked on in my head saying "you idiot, his car is injected"!
A112H

Post by A112H »

All good Steve, had me scratching my head when I was reading your first post, lol.
As for choking, I was probably being a tad harsh. All stock Asstrons seem to have a flat power curve from about 4000rpm on. Mine pulls fine to 5500 but its main push in the back is between 1200 and 3500.
Yes a lot has to do with the torque range but I was hoping to get a cam to lift max hp to about 4500 to make is a bit revier, is that a word??