Carbys the are best for 4G32

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Jordan1249

Carbys the are best for 4G32

Post by Jordan1249 »

So wondering from the community what people think the best carby to run in 4G32 engine at the moment im running Twin dellortos but my neighbour said i should chuck some SU carbys on there so what do you guys think ?
75glnt

Re: Carbys the are best for 4G32

Post by 75glnt »

Well for starters.. What's done to the engine?
N/A ALL THE WAY
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

.... and what do you mean by "best" ? Depends what you are trying to achieve.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

IMO on a street driven car they are junk. Day to day driving would blow holes in your wallet through fuel costs and keeping it in tune. And gear like twin Dells are made for mid to top end power. The Saturn engine is more for low to mid range driving and will really struggle to deliver the air flow to make a twin side draught work the way they're intended. If you're really set on having side draughts on it, I'd invest the effort into fitting a set of smaller bore quad bike carbies up to it. It will maintain torque, keep it's tune and more than likely have minimal impact on fuel consumption (and they're heaps lighter, are compact and sound awesome). And you will get change from a full set of bike carbies over what you'd spend on one side draught.
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

^^^
Good advice above
First decide what you want to achieve.
And true - flow is the limiting factor in 4G32 heads - not to mention the plain cam journals.
Dells and Webers are fine for top end and racing, but for street they are a thirsty pain (sound great though :))
SUs or copies are nice (I run a pair of AISANs).They look cool, but performance wise they are a bit ho-hum for the extra effort.
Personally, If you haven't worked the engine to a specific spec, and for a specific purpose, I would stay with stock carby.
(Flame suit on)
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin
VGJONO

Post by VGJONO »

ive got a mild Low compression 4G32 and have recently put a 32/36 DFV webber on it, the best modification i have done to date, sounds awesome and gives the car alot more power and torque right through the rev range. and the fuel economy is still very good, i have been averaging 450-500k's per tank since fitting it
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

The engine work is as worked as this thing can be got its compression up as high as it has the biggest pistons biggest cam that is street legal (dont know exact details of everything as previous owner had it worked to the shit house)
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Well that was real helpful........ :facepalm:
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Jordan1249 wrote:The engine work is as worked as this thing can be got its compression up as high as it has the biggest pistons biggest cam that is street legal (dont know exact details of everything as previous owner had it worked to the shit house)
Jordan,

What you have written above is meaningless.

If you don't know what the spec of your motor is, or what outcome you are trying to achieve with the car, then it's pretty hard for people to provide you with advice.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Haha sorry fellas im a bit useless hard to tell you the specs when i wasnt told myself exactly, Im just wondering what carbys are reiable and help put out most HP
RaptorReed

Post by RaptorReed »

Which is still tough to figure out without knowing how the engine is exactly setup.
Tim
94 Montero SR
79 GE Sigma Wagon
76 Galant Coupe
92 Galant VR4
88 Fiji Blue Starion
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Which is still tough to figure out without knowing how the engine is exactly setup.
Yer thats fair enough
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Take the car to a dyno........the mechanic should be able to work out exactly what size carby you will need to respond according to what driving conditions the car will be driven in (city driving/fwy driving, track days)........he'll also be able to jet the right carby accordingly.
Built with pride, Driven in anger
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

:stupid:
Thats the closest your gonna get without stripping it down to find out for your self mate... :thumpsup:
'82 GJ GSR Silver (family heirloom):)
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Well... If its worked as much as you think... Then a 32/36 is enough once jetted right out.. My 1600 made 124hp on the 32/36 with the tuned lengthed extractors... I have since changed to twin DHLA 40 dellorto sidedrafts and IMO. It's much more responsive, and a fair but more poke down low.... But man does it drink the fuel!
N/A ALL THE WAY
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Do you know what its pumping with the 40s and yer mine does too 150km to the tank 200 if im lucky and baby the fuck outta it
75glnt

Post by 75glnt »

Nah not yet... Haven't had her running properly since... It's running better than before, but still not right.

I'm also going to be running an electronic ignition system, so once she's tuned, and the ignition is in and re tuned... Then I will give her a run, just for my own curiosity :P

Might do it at the chrysler day this year, take out the 4 cyl dyno comp (which Jon won last year) :P
N/A ALL THE WAY
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

ok this is what the previous own told me

60thou over stage 3 rally grind on the cam the biggest stainless steel valves that will fit biggest valve springs that fit. A little port and polish.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Does this help peoples ?
Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

i personally think a sigma/early magna carby jetted accordingly would suit it nicely IMO
Built with pride, Driven in anger
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Jordan1249 wrote:So wondering from the community what people think the best carby to run in 4G32 engine at the moment im running Twin dellortos but my neighbour said i should chuck some SU carbys on there so what do you guys think ?
Does it run fine with what is on it now, does it perform the way you want it to...??? if so why fix something that isn't broken..
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Because my neighbour suggest go SU carbys to get better performance outta it
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Because my neighbour suggest go SU carbys to get better performance outta it
Sorry, but your neighbour obviously knows squat.

For a start, you can't get a manifold to put SU carbs (what size did he suggest ?) on a Saturn motor. You can get one to suit Aisan HF40D carbs, which are a sort of SU knock-off, but the mounts are different to the genuine SU. You would have to get an Aisan-type manifold & modify it.

Secondly, there is no way in the world that a pair of "SU-style" carbs will give better performance than a properly-tuned set of Dellorto/Weber style sidedraughts (which sounds like what you currently have ?)

If you want to have a crack though, I've got a pair of the genuine Aisan HF40D carbs off a JDM Galant AIIGS you can have for $100 posted.

For a street car, ditch the Dellortos & just put a properly jetted Weber 32/36 DFV on it (or possibly a Weber 34ADM off a XE/XF Falcon, if the engine is fairly modified). Weber/Dellorto/Solex style sidedraughts are a PITA on a road car.
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Not suprised his an old drunk hahah who builds his mustang which SU carbys are probably available i do like my dells tho because im a hoon like that and the street is a track ;)

But if anyone has any idea what carbys would put out more power for my little galant let me know cheers
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

im a hoon like that and the street is a track
:roll:
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Jordan1249 wrote: im a hoon like that and the street is a track ;)

But if anyone has any idea what carbys would put out more power for my little galant let me know cheers

Oh well, in that case, a Holley 750 DP on a high rise...
Jordan1249

Post by Jordan1249 »

Oh well, in that case, a Holley 750 DP on a high rise..
Are these hard to aquire ?

This is why i have a suspended license haha
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

Jordan1249 wrote:
Not suprised his an old drunk hahah who builds his mustang which SU carbys are probably available i do like my dells tho because im a hoon like that and the street is a track ;)

SUs are not that bad beleve it or not -- yes they are a very old design and have not got complicated jetting circuits but they can be set up quite well
they aren't set and forget though

a funny thing is I was going to run a pair of 2" SUs on a 4g52 in a sigma autocross/dirt hillclimb car car some time back
the rules for the class I ran at Boisdale aloud the same number of carby chokes as the car came out with
as the sigma had a 2 barrel that ment I could have used 2 single choke carbs
The engine was built to run twin 45 mm webers and going back to a 34/34 down draft did take the edge off
I change cars before finishing off the manifold

anyway SUs would not be my first pick of carbs for your car

for all around performance I would go for a set of twin 40 mm webers first followed by your dellortos and the only real reason for the webers is getting jets for setting up is easier
of cause you aready have set up dells so why change
cheater
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

SUs are not that bad beleve it or not
No argument here ! I'm a long-time SU fan (being a former Volvo owner ..... ). Amazing bits of gear, for so few moving parts, but they obviously won't out perform Weber-style sidedraughts.

... and the various Jap knockoffs of SUs - like the Aisans & Hitachis - aren't a patch on the genuine article IMHO.
bruggz351

Post by bruggz351 »

Jordan1249 wrote:
Oh well, in that case, a Holley 750 DP on a high rise..
Are these hard to aquire ?

This is why i have a suspended license haha

LOL. Sorry, I was being a smart arse.

Stick with ya dels mate.... best bet... :thumpsup: