Twin solex sidedrafts on 4G32?

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
GrannyGC

Twin solex sidedrafts on 4G32?

Post by GrannyGC »

Hey guys, just got a set of sidedraft mikuni-solexs for my GC. I'm looking for guidance on setting in up, I have the manifold but no linkages or anything, so if I could see some different setups. Also not sure what size the carbies are and how to measure them either.
Any tips and specs would be greatly appreciated...
davetrees

Re: Twin solex sidedrafts on 4G32?

Post by davetrees »

I run a set of these (40mm) on my GB rally car with a 4G32. Brilliant things. Once set up properly, they stay in tune better than Webers. Only downside really is that jets are harder to get locally (but easy & cheap from the USA) and not as many people know their way around them compared to Webers.

Lots of info on this site ... http://www.rmcarburetors.net/ ... on identifying them, parts, etc. (Mine are "Type T" which are very common ... came out on the Toyota 18RG motor)

Parts , jets, etc readily available from these guys in the USA ..... http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/

To determine the size, measure the diameter of the throttle butterflies. They will be either 40mm or 44mm.
GrannyGC

Post by GrannyGC »

Thanks for the reply, just got onto wolfcreek racing and did a bit comparing and everything...they are 40mm (165 stamped on butterfly). Now I just need to figure out what bits I need. First time i'm really learning about carbies so I'm taking my time with it...These are for my GC road car which still has the standard carb set up. Also need to figure out how to jet them for a road car (as fuel efficient as possible haha).
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Seriously, not sure why you would bother putting them on a road car ? They will never be fuel efficient ...... and sidedraughts are often tricky to start & a PITA in traffic etc.

I'll see if I can hunt out the info on how mine are jetted ..... & you really can't tune them properly unless you know what you are doing (you need an AFR meter at the very least, & preferably access to a dyno. Spend the money & get it done properly - you won't regret it)

You will need to fabricate a linkage mechanism for them too.
GrannyGC

Post by GrannyGC »

Yeh I know they wont be fuel efficient haha...I don't really care about that...

Thanks, I have a couple of carby masters in the family to help me along the way, it's gonna be a slow process anyway, gotta rebuild the carbies, before anything else and i'm not worry how long it takes as its mainly a learning experience anyway :)

Pulled my solexs apart the other day and the jets were 140s and 65s.

Thanks for your advice.