EFI Turbo Astron or 4G63T

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.

Turbo/Injected Astron or 4G63T

Poll ended at Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Inject the Astron
48%
4G63T Conversion
52%

Total votes: 27

EVL076
S-G Veteran

EFI Turbo Astron or 4G63T

Post by EVL076 »

hey all, voice ya opinion here..

if you had the option to either Inject the Astron, or do a 4G63T (VR4) swap, what way would you go?
Image Image
woops

Re: EFI Turbo Astron or 4G63T

Post by woops »

My vote is for the 4g63T due to the greater power potential and driveability. Yeah people would say the 4g54 is a nice cheap and easy swap but if you want to go further with the power it requires a lot more work or a turbo which brings in legality issues. Although it depends on what your budget is.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

righto:

i have a cordia with a VR4 4G63T lined up for $1500
its gonna cost bout:

$800 for a hi mount turbo manifold
$300 for a custom forward facing plenum
$400 cooler & piping
$25 engine mounts

total of: $3025 inc the cordia (engine/loom/std ecu)

or i can use that cash to inject my 2.6 Turbo engine

$350 delivered for a modded intake - from rallyant
$1395 brand new Haltech E6X
$400 for cooler & piping

total of: $2145

and the $880 difference can go for bigger injectors and a decent throttle body

my car already has the fuel system upgraded for efi - 1.75lt Surge, lift pump, VLT pump, bigger steel fuel line
so the extra expense there is already taken care of :D

as for legality issues, its already illegal anyway, so yeah :lol: :lol:
Image Image
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

vr4retrofit wrote:You havent driven a RWD VR4 powered vehicle have you?

I know this because you wouldn't be asking if you had ;)

They are a great engine and I long to get mine running again so I'm very much in the 4G63 camp.
X2.

The cost of the 2 options is near on the same these day - even if not turboed, I would be looking at Hyundai G4CP, $220 at my local wrecker ( aka non turbo 4g63 ).
Ron75

Post by Ron75 »

I paid $400 for my Hyundai G4CP with harness computer all the extras eg air box flywheel clutch and pressure plate alternator starter ect
it is a good option
stealth

Post by stealth »

mate if you have driven a rwd 4g63bt there would be no poll!
ps hi mount manifold and intake to suit rwd,engine mounts $800
does that make it easier,your 330 closer now!
cheers stealth 8-)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey man you should come check out my modded magna efi setup, i havent got it running yet but was very pleased with the end results of the plenum, had it all tigged up + XF throttle body for $150, but there was a few smaller details that i didnt realise you had to do. as for a 4g63 they are a excellent motor with great potential, mainly because of the aftermarket support. however i would go the astron, youve already got it in ur car.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

im more of an era specific man so i'd say the astron. The torque alone is worth it IMO.
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

Make that $300
I wonna see this 2.6 get done! :)

I have owned both 2.6t and 4g63t cars
and my vote is for the 2.6

Ortho i do like both, so much that im going to build my GB coupe with a 63t
But there's something really special about the grunt of a 2.6 big block 4banger, absolutely shat all over my VR4 conversion, very nice on the street.
I like the idea of running a 3.3 or 3.5, low RPM on the freeway, but with just as much torque at the treds as a 63 with a 3.9
When I drop it back a gear and nail my galant with a 3.9 at 100kph on the freeway the back en lights up. I really don't need to be able to do burn outs at 100kph.
A112H

Post by A112H »

63T, hands down
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

ASTRON POWER!!!
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
panda

Post by panda »

I love them both, thats why I have one of each. :D :D
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

looks like the astron is gettin the win here

a few things made the decision:

less down time
less coin
easier to do
less coin
less down time
less coin
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so yeah... was interesting poll tho, the result was surprising :D
Image Image
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

4g63 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
vr4sigma

Post by vr4sigma »

two cams are better than one.
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

8 valves seem to make the power easier at the lower budget scale.

cheers Mic
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

i cant see how you can compare a 8 valve single cam engine that was never designed for a performance applications, compared to a 16 valve DOHC engine designed to conquer the world rally championship. Any part you want you can get for it, not to mention the strength of the standard internals or the flow capacities of the head in standard form, or the fact that it bolts up to standard mitsubishi gearboxes and engine mounts. the biggest modification is running the coolant from the back of the engine to the front, im sorry but if that seems too difficult then car modifying really isnt for you. 4g63 all the way, well thats my rant and the reason why im going 4g63 in my sigma
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

yeah I'm quite surprised... I've never experienced a '63 (have experienced the '54 though) and for me there just isn't any comparison, if I could afford either, the '54 wouldn't even be considered. high tech and massive strength and parts support vs old school low tech jackhammer lol

That said, if I'd probably do the '54 because i'm too impatient to save up the money to buy the '63 in the first place lol
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
mic_77

Post by mic_77 »

sig2L wrote:i cant see how you can compare a 8 valve single cam engine that was never designed for a performance applications, compared to a 16 valve DOHC engine designed to conquer the world rally championship. Any part you want you can get for it, not to mention the strength of the standard internals or the flow capacities of the head in standard form, or the fact that it bolts up to standard mitsubishi gearboxes and engine mounts. the biggest modification is running the coolant from the back of the engine to the front, im sorry but if that seems too difficult then car modifying really isnt for you. 4g63 all the way, well thats my rant and the reason why im going 4g63 in my sigma
You really have no idea 4g54, larger capacity, stronger crank, head flows more than enough for all but the most extreme set-ups (turbo), all the parts you can get for it are of the shelf if you know where to go, bolts to factory engine mounts and gearboxes, no need to modify coolant lines, only has to pass early model emissions, you don't have to run a cat convertor, motor was also used extensively in japan for racing purposes so I fail to see the point of your little rant I geuss you lot would call a BDA a low tech jack hammer aswell just because the motor is old yet it is still winning rallies to this very day. Like I said the 2.6 is the best bang for buck at the lower budget scale but if you have the budget to push it into the 1000hp mark like they do in the states by all means go for it.

cheers Mic
psshhhht

Post by psshhhht »

mic_77 wrote:You really have no idea 4g54, larger capacity, stronger crank, head flows more than enough for all but the most extreme set-ups (turbo), all the parts you can get for it are of the shelf if you know where to go, bolts to factory engine mounts and gearboxes, no need to modify coolant lines, only has to pass early model emissions, you don't have to run a cat convertor, motor was also used extensively in japan for racing purposes so I fail to see the point of your little rant I geuss you lot would call a BDA a low tech jack hammer aswell just because the motor is old yet it is still winning rallies to this very day. Like I said the 2.6 is the best bang for buck at the lower budget scale but if you have the budget to push it into the 1000hp mark like they do in the states by all means go for it.

cheers Mic
maybe I'm just misreading this, but I get the feeling you're getting pretty heated in this... if you are, wtf!?! Noone bagged out the engines just said the '63 is better, and the BDA is totally irrelevant and as far as my jackhammer comment, it was a lighthearted nickname i had for my sister's old GN because that thing was stuffed and basically sounded like one... and I'm sure parts are available, but no where near as easy to access as '63. Anyway, whatever, it's a good thing noone else picks what engines we fit into our own cars hehe :)
looking to start an mechanical apprenticeship, if you know of anyone in Melbourne or Gippsland who's looking for a first year, let me know!
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

yeah that bloke must really have an emotional attachment to his pajero engine..... you really cant compare WRC to local rally cars. As stated im not saying that these engine arent good, shit there are too many quick sigma's to prove me wrong just really think that these engines are lot more refined, easier to make power with and have a lot more parts available for them. And it was never asked about in regards to bang for your buck.
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Post by EVL076 »

ok ok topic locked.

the astron got the nod anyways. if u wanna go the 63 in your car, then go ahead, like mine, its your car :D
Image Image