wierd grinding/rattling noise HELP!

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
fonz

wierd grinding/rattling noise HELP!

Post by fonz »

hey guys my triton has stated making this hideous rattling/grinding noise when i rev it.

the engine is a 2.6L astron 2 wideblock with tr magna efi with 180,000kms

now its hard to explian where its comming from as i still dont know myself,
but it happe if i rev the engine to say 4500rpm and hold it there also while in driving, its a loud noise aswell! im thinking thrust bearing in the clutch but wouldnt it only happen when i push in the clutch?

it happens under load, not under load, in neutral and while im driving.

please help as i just bought all my turbo gear and now this happens! murphys law!!!

thanks,

fonz
dvsfin

Re: wierd grinding/rattling noise HELP!

Post by dvsfin »

have u checked the oil...without actually hearing the noise its hard to diagnose...it could be a bottom end bearing...which wouldnt be good :( or it could be in the top end...
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

i just read it again and
fonz wrote:but it happe if i rev the engine to say 4500rpm and hold it there

does that mean theres no noise at idle..?
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

http://www.ziddu.com/download/7775415/S ... 3.wav.html

If it sounds anything like this.. you've got a problem

Thats a recording of what my engine sounded like after spinning a bearing.. and within a week of shattering and siezing said bearing
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

fonz

Post by fonz »

hey guys found the problem!!!!
basically driving home today from the mechanics that couldnt diagnose the noise but did come to a conclusion it was clutch/gearbox related.

anyways driving home i felt the gears getting harder and harder to change, like i wasnt pushing the clutch in enough.........

then BANG! no clutch at all!!!! so pulled into the servo that was luckily 100m from where it happened.
looked around and saw something quite disturbing! the actual lever the clutch cable is conneted to on the gearbox snapped in half!!!

so imgoing to take the gearbox out during next week and inspect it all and hope everything is ok fingers crossed!

fonz