Sapporo G54b (12 valve-ish factory fuel pump odd-ness?)

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
hillbillyhector

Sapporo G54b (12 valve-ish factory fuel pump odd-ness?)

Post by hillbillyhector »

I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a question I have on finding the correct parts for my 1983 plymouth Sapporo coupe.

the thing has a G54b 2.6L with interesting smog-crap head design, that incorporates an extra valve! (it's truly just a 8 valve motor)... the extra valve simply lets more air into the combustion chamber when the intake opens. (smog-crap)...and after some investigation (leaking fuel pump internals) I've found that the pump arm (pushrod) just barely squeezes between the head bolt and the extra valve... so the aftermarket "replacement" pump (that looks VERY similar...but not quite the same arm bend) does not clear. it is beyond modifying or trying to swap the old arm onto the new pump. I just need a new FACTORY replacement pump.

if there is a good (inexpensive) online source for factory parts, or if anyone knows the correct Mitsubishi part # to order, it would be greatly appreciated!

Please help me locate the correct part! thanks in advance for the input!
hillbillyhector

Re: Sapporo G54b (12 valve-ish factory fuel pump odd-ness?)

...and to an extent, my fuel pump question has been answered by another trip to the salvage yard...I saw a couple aftermarket pumps installed into the same head (on the early eighties Dodge D-50 trucks)... and BOTH of them had been clearanced (ground down via die-grinder) to squeeze in....obviously compromising the integrity of the arm...but apparently not enough for either of them to fail.

but I still would love to have a good source for inexpensive factory mitsu parts!
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

If I were you I'd be replacing the head with a non-jet valve version.

The extra jet valve weakens the integrity of the head itself, and quite often they crack in those areas.. There are some 'elimination kits' which just screw a plug into each one basically, but you'd be far better off with a standard 8-valve head.

Shouldn't have clearance issues with the fuel pump then either.

-
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

make up a small aluminium block off plate where the fuel pump bolts onto the head and run a small electric fuel pump mate, youll be better off reliability wise.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
hillbillyhector

I'm fully in agreement with both of you guys!

...however, desires to keep this thing as "bone stock" as possible are now being undermined by my typical tendencies to modify just about everything.

I currently own five other vintage japanese cars, all of which are modified, loud, low, and obnoxious...and I'm really trying to hold back a strange need to 'Bosozoku' this thing out...already have my eyes on some really ugly period-correct deep-offset 14x8 & 14x9 wheels...
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

yeah fair enough mate i can see where your coming from. i have already had this discussion about fuel pump arm differences between australian sigma heads and pajero/triton heads as the actual fuel pump arm passage in the head casting is narrower. maybe try getting a fuel pump for a mitsubishi triton 2.6?
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.