Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR rally spec engine

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
Torana68

Re: Mitsubishi Lancer 1600 GSR rally spec engine

Post by Torana68 »

ok Im sure mine is more but its a "works" one apparently, will have to look closer....
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
Mr Aerospace

Post by Mr Aerospace »

Wow, I just spent a lot of time researching lancers (in Japanese) and I came up with some amazing info.
I now have pictures of all the JDM model variants available for both "LA and LB's" (for lack of better ways to call them) and I only need to decipher some words to finish the job.

I also discovered that there was C-Ia, C-Ib, C-II AND a C-III kit - but the last was designed for 4G35 powered GTO's
C-II increased power to 148hp while Sazankurosurari's car clocked in at 165hp (but this wasn't with a commercially available kit). So I am sure now that I actually do have a C-III engine! Cool!

P.S. Thank goodness for chrysler colours in the Aussie cars, coz some of the mitsu colours are crap.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

I also discovered that there was C-Ia, C-Ib, C-II AND a C-III kit - but the last was designed for 4G35 powered GTO's
C-II increased power to 148hp while Sazankurosurari's car clocked in at 165hp (but this wasn't with a commercially available kit). So I am sure now that I actually do have a C-III engine! Cool!

C1a and b was a Club level thing, C2 was Galant and Lancer . In '74 Lancer still had C2, which was a Lancer version of the Galant C2 with some bits adapted to the Lancer or added for Lancer (5 speed instead of 4 speed etc), C3 was a later Version rumoured to have a larger bore option but I dont know if the larger bore was used as there is no C2/3 works pistons listed in that size (used in a works car that is). Really engine wise its the old C2 kit, updated a little . Shinozuka's car (excepting the twin cam one he tried) was the same as any works kitted Lancer, there was little difference to a privateer with a works kitted car, Ive seen inside them :) . C3 was the last verson applicabe to Lancer the GTO wasnt used in competition past '71 (rally wise no idea about road racing in Japan) it also didnt use the 4G32/35 towards the end (as far as I know).
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

It seems to depend which version of the catalogues you look at ....

The one I have (which is dated Feb 77, produced by "Dia-Star International Corporation" rather than the "Mit-toy" ones) only refers to C-I / C-II / C-III

Comparing the part lists, the only differences between the C-II & C-III are:
- Flywheel & clutch (I assume lighter flywheel & stronger clutch ?)
- Exhaust manifold (4-2-1 extractors .... C-II seems to use GSR manifold ?)
- Oil cooler
- ]Oil pump
- Pulleys

Everything else listed in these kits has the same part numbers for both C-II & C-III.

It also lists some "selective parts" separate from the kits :
- Exhaust valves (I assume the sodium-filled ones)
- Valve spring retainers (I assume the titanium ones)

Interestingly, none of the 3 kits specifically mention valve springs .... I'm guessing they were included as part of the "cylinder head set" listed for C-II & C-III ?

Was the C2 kit actually marketed for the Galant ? I have only ever seen brochures for them as a Lancer thing ....
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

It seems to depend which version of the catalogues you look at ....

The one I have (which is dated Feb 77, produced by "Dia-Star International Corporation" rather than the "Mit-toy" ones) only refers to C-I / C-II / C-III

Comparing the part lists, the only differences between the C-II & C-III are:
- Flywheel & clutch (I assume lighter flywheel & stronger clutch ?)
- Exhaust manifold (4-2-1 extractors .... C-II seems to use GSR manifold ?)
- Oil cooler
- ]Oil pump
- Pulleys

all the above is available in the Lancer C2 kit including the selective parts. Valve springs, rocker arms etc come on the C2 head assembly but were available seperately. C2 kit is for Galant and Lancer but as I said its different for Lancer ie oil cooler and brackets are different between lancer and Galant, some Lancer C2 airfilters had provision for the charcoal canister that wasnt on Galant etc
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

I get the impression that various outside agents/tuners (such as Mit-toy, DiaStar, Direct Connection in the USA, etc) all put selections of Mitsubishi competition parts together into various similar - but not necessarily identical - kits ?

These kits were no doubt factory-approved, but has anyone ever seen an actual MITSUBISHI-published sports catalogue for the Lancer or Galant ?
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

I get the impression that various outside agents/tuners (such as Mit-toy, DiaStar, Direct Connection in the USA, etc) all put selections of Mitsubishi competition parts together into various similar - but not necessarily identical - kits ?

well if your talking C2/3 you only got the whole deal from Mitsubishi, Direct Connection didnt do "kits" just sold and recommended parts, not all of which were made by Mits.So no these poeple are just reseling the Mits parts

These kits were no doubt factory-approved, but has anyone ever seen an actual MITSUBISHI-published sports catalogue for the Lancer or Galant ?

Part number for Galant "Sports Kit" book WE 420501
Lancer "Sports Kit" WE 840522
quote from the Lancer Factroy book:
This Workshop Manual contains all data and technical information on the construction,function, installation (modifications) and servicing of a sports kit for Lancer 1600 (A73) and, in addition, is accompanied
by a parts catalog at the end. Service mechanics engaged in the servicing of the car are advised to carefully make full use of this Manual, together with the "4G3 Saturn Engine Workshop Manual" Pub. No. WE530506
and the "Lancer Workshop Manual" Pub. No. WE530301 so that they may render proper and reliable service to customers. When using the sports kit on Lancer 1600, it should be borne in mind that the turning effect after the installation of the sports kit varies considerably with the conditions (whether new or old) of the car and the degree of wear of components.
MITSUBISHI
MOTORS
davetrees

Post by davetrees »

Mr Aerospace wrote:Alternator Pulley:
80mm (ratio 1.57) - C3
67mm (ratio 1.97) - Standard 4G32

Water Pump Pulley:
132.8mm (ratio 0.92) - C3
112.2mm (ratio 1.09) - Standard 4G32
I pulled the water pump pulley from the GSR motor out of the box of bits today & measured it - it's roughly 132mm so it seems the "C3" pulley is a stock 1600GSR one.

(I'm in the process of replacing my water pump, so I thought I might as well throw the bigger pulley on it to slow it down a bit ..... )

The GSR pulley also looks like it's a bit "taller" than the stock 4G32 one, so hopefully it will still clear the thermo fan .... I'll find out on the weekend !

The GSR alternator pulley is still on the block (which isn't at my place at the moment) so can't measure it just yet.
Skavenger

Post by Skavenger »

What's the name/brand on the seat belts ?
I've tried zooming etc...
simon

Post by simon »

davetrees wrote:126kw = 165-170hp ... supposedly that's about right (officially they claimed 160bhp at the flywheel, I think ?)

They used a 4G32 SOHC with a kit of optional parts ... commonly known as the "C3" kit. These parts were available for purchase from Mitsubishi back in the day - although rarer than rocking horse poo these days of course. IN THEORY you could build your own "works spec" motor ... but I would bet that just bolting all the C3 kit parts together in an engine wouldn't make a car as "good" as the factory team ones ... no doubt they would have had a few extra "tweaks" as well, being meticulously hand built engines !

The Sports Catalogue with the part numbers etc is readily available, A few people on here (inc. myself) have either copies or originals of it ... the catalogues of course don't have the detailed specs of each part necessarily.

As far as I am aware, the engines in the factory cars were not significantly bored &/or stroked (otherwise they would have changed capacity class).

Note : The "GSR" designation is irrelevant to the above - it just means "1600 2 door twin carb". Nothing to do with them being a "rally special" or anything. Joghinder Singh's Safari-winning car was a GSL 4 door)

Simon
tandanus

Post by tandanus »

Interesting
T.
The highest reward for a man's toil is not what he gets for it but who he becomes by it.
John Ruskin