4g63 SOHC 8 valve carby engine noise

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
H8DAG8

4g63 SOHC 8 valve carby engine noise

Post by H8DAG8 »

Recently got a new head (using old head gear as has low k's), just got the car running today for the first time and noticed a slight sort of squeek tapping. That's the best way I can describe it, a sort of squeek/squeel sort of tap.. initially I thought it was pinging but that's more of a rattle right?

Just wondering what the noise could be? I tried pin-pointing where it was coming from but couldn't because the standard fans are so darn loud on these things they sound like jets about to take off haha.

Could it be the adjustable lifters? I know hydraulic lifters need time to build up pressure and can tap until then but do adjustable ones need that too? I'm just worried it's something inside somewhere that's doing damage so I don't want to leave it running to wait to see if it stops as knowing my (and the cars) luck it'll be something bad and be fecking it even more!

Any advice or info. would be great. Got a mechanic mate coming around to have a listen later in the week but if I can get it sorted before then that'd be great.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.
Last edited by H8DAG8 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: 4g63 SOHC 8 valve carby lifter questions

Post by 81GL »

Few questions first.

Have you adjusted the tappets since it's been back together?
When you changed the rocker gear over, did you keep the cam bearing caps with their respective heads?

Bit hard to say with out being in front of it, but as you said, pinging is more of a tapping/knock sort of noise (a midget caught in the engine with a tiny hammer sort of noise).
Solid/manually adjusted tappets don't depend directly on the oil pressure to work, so should be working straight away, although they will be a bit noisier when the engine is cold due to tolerances.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

81GL wrote:Few questions first.

Have you adjusted the tappets since it's been back together?
When you changed the rocker gear over, did you keep the cam bearing caps with their respective heads?

Bit hard to say with out being in front of it, but as you said, pinging is more of a tapping/knock sort of noise (a midget caught in the engine with a tiny hammer sort of noise).
Solid/manually adjusted tappets don't depend directly on the oil pressure to work, so should be working straight away, although they will be a bit noisier when the engine is cold due to tolerances.
Hi there.

I got the gear swapped over by a mate of a mate who's got his own engine recon. company so I assume yes he left everything in their respective places with one-another.
He adjust the tappets and set everything up whilst he had the head.

Ok it's definitely not pinging, turned it on this morning and had another listen and it definitely has a sort of squeek to the noise.

Any idea's? Surely the guy hasn't done something wrong in the head causing it to do this as he does this sorta stuff for a job.
But, by the sounds of it, could that be the only thing it could be?? Really need the car now but scared to drive it as normal with that noise after spending all this money to get her going again! :hit: :hit: :hit: :hit: :hit:
81GL

Post by 81GL »

H8DAG8 wrote:He adjust the tappets and set everything up whilst he had the head
To adjust the tappets you need the engine at operating temperature - so he would of done a rough setting whilst cold.

As for your "squeek" sort of a noise? if your not confident in what your looking at then I recommend getting some one else to have a look at it :thumpsup:
-Just to eliminate it, spray some belt grip or the likes on the belts to eliminate them making the noise (even soapy water will shut a belt up temporarily for fault finding purposes)
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Woops thought I'd written that, yea I had done the water on the belts and also on the fan clutch and nothing, so isn't any of those.

And yep I know the adjustment needs to be done when the engine has been "run in" and also whilst the engine is hot. That is going to get done this week some time.

I'm taking off the 2 belts today as well as the fan clutch and pulley to see if that will eliminate the noise, if it does, then I know it's nothing major so I can at least drive it without worrying. If the noise remains, I'll put the belts and fan back on and take it down to the wanker at the shop that did some of engine work (de-balancing and putting head and block together and timing it all etc.) and try and make the noise his problem.

Cheers!
H8DAG8

Re: 4g63 SOHC 8 valve carby engine noise

Post by H8DAG8 »

Here's a link to a YouTube vid, the video captures the sound quite good.
It's the semi high pitched dull fast bell dinging sort of noise - obviously :banh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVnqmUYI_-E
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Got it sorted.
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

just curies what was the problem. something lose ?
= Lancer 1976 =
astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

please never run a engine without the balancer bolted on tight, it WILL throw off the timing belt and bend the valves, ive seen it happen.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Who mentioned a balancer not being bolted tight?

Yea 7thsin it was just the crank pulley tin shield bit being a tiny bit bent and just hitting the cambelt on every revolution hence the tinny sort of "clink" sound. Just needed to be tapped straight again and problem fixed. No damage to cambelt just a tiny bit of marking along the edge.

Thought it was a major - ended up being a stupidly minor thing (thank god) :)
7thsin

Post by 7thsin »

good to hear mate .
i have debunked a few engine sounds , that be the first where the motor didnt requier a tear down again lol ,happy days hope everything is smooth sailing from here on .
= Lancer 1976 =
H8DAG8

Post by H8DAG8 »

Haha oh boy if it needed to be torn apart again i would have been one unhappy camper
Probably would have drop kicked the engine onto the road and put the car in storage until i built up a v6 turbo or vr4 engine for it haha

Cheers for your help trying to figure out what the sound was anyway! Much appreciated

Ta