4g54 advancing factory cam

This section is for talk about anything to do with everything in the engine bay.
flyingbrick

4g54 advancing factory cam

Post by flyingbrick »

Hi all. So iv heard that 4g54 cam timing can be advance one sprocket tooth for a whole lot more performance. Has anyone here done this? My 54 is a sack of crap and theres no point reving it past about 4.5k as power dips off so sharply
Torana68

Re: 4g54 advancing factory cam

Post by Torana68 »

yep each tooth is 50 RWHP give it a go......

or more realistically its degrees not teeth, and all is does is advance or retard you cam a little, spend some money on a proper and comprehensive tune up
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Torana68 wrote:yep each tooth is 50 RWHP give it a go......
So if I slacken off my chain, spin the cam around 1 turn and put the chain back on, that should be like, an extra 1900hp yeah? :lol: :blah:

Seriously though, there is 38 teeth on the cam gear, divide that into the 360, that's about 9.47 degrees of advance... and keep in mind, that's not crank degrees, that's cam degrees :| .

If your wanting it to rev more, pull the cam out, or get a spare, & send it off to crow cams for a re-grind :thumpsup: It's not very expensive, and it will work.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Torana68

Post by Torana68 »

So if I slacken off my chain, spin the cam around 1 turn and put the chain back on, that should be like, an extra 1900hp yeah?

no its to a maximum of 100 RWHP, I read it on the net so it must be true
"can I put Corolla pistons in my Anchortron with a Hyundai head? will it do better burnouts with 40 solex's? "...... Im so needing coffee...
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

flyingbrick wrote:Hi all. So iv heard that 4g54 cam timing can be advance one sprocket tooth for a whole lot more performance. Has anyone here done this? My 54 is a sack of crap and theres no point reving it past about 4.5k as power dips off so sharply
thats a fail advancing a cam 9.5 degs is way to much -- 1 tooth = 9.47 deg or 18.94 crank deg

the other thing to think about advancing a cam picks up bottom end and drops some off the top that limits the revs lower
retarding the cam cam pick up some power at the top but you loose a lot of bottom end

to pick up more power and more revs you need much larger cam than stock and a lot more flow through the inlet
so port work and bigger better carbs and/or fuel injection
of cause you also need an exhuast that flows as well

then to help pick up the revs quicker you need to reduce the weight of rotating bits ie crank - flywheel - clutch and front pulley

then there is the wear and tear reving the engine to say 7000 has 3 times the wear as running to 4500
if you are still running the balance shafts the bearings on these knock out pretty quick if you run to higher revs
cheater
flyingbrick

Post by flyingbrick »

Thanks guys. Obviously what i was told was a load of bullocks. Hopefully the falcon carb i have will make it a bit easier to live with.

Btw, engine is perfectly healthy, will consider a cam change after i fit my sc14
FunkyP

Post by FunkyP »

I degreed my cam while on a mustang dyno. Straight up @ 18psi made 355/355. I moved it 2deg in both directions and lost a good bit of power both ways. Cant remember which way but one was a near 50hp drop.

But may have been the cam seeing as mine just flattens out in the 6300rpm range. My buddy was taking his to 8000 and started running into rocker arm breakage.
G54B/R154/MSX/SC60/11.2@120mph
esky64

Post by esky64 »

What carb are you going to use
flyingbrick wrote:Thanks guys. Obviously what i was told was a load of bullocks. Hopefully the falcon carb i have will make it a bit easier to live with.

Btw, engine is perfectly healthy, will consider a cam change after i fit my sc14
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

If you are going to do any advancing/retarding, probably best to use an adjustable cam sprocket. Would be careful when doing it though, and not change it too much. My 4G52 got something stuck in the chain and ended up out by 40-45 degrees, and this happened :
BAD-SIG

Post by BAD-SIG »

That happened to me too and caused 3 of the roller rocker arms on my TR head to snap and at least two valves touched the piston tops... ouch!
Please click below to visit my blog dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.galant-sigma.com

Please click below to visit my cardomain website dedicated to my GE Sigma SE:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/293989