Manual Gearboxes whats easy to fit to a sigma

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
DOSEIN

Manual Gearboxes whats easy to fit to a sigma

Post by DOSEIN »

Just wondering what is a east gearbox to fit to a sigma that can handle good power???????????
DragonCypher

Re: Manual Gearboxes whats easy to fit to a sigma

Post by DragonCypher »

if your engine is 2.0L or previously automatic
- Narrowblock Jap 5spd

If your engine is a 2.6L MANUAL already
- Wideblock Jap 5spd

They are the best bolt-ins you get without modification, just need the original crossmember from your old box.. assuming you have one

If you already have a jap box and its not withstanding the power, then custom fitting something stronger is all you can do, which aint easy, or cheap
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

DOSEIN

Post by DOSEIN »

yeah im building a wide block at the moment but just wondering what ya can do to the jap 5 speed to make it stronger i have 2 off them im gonna use the best one out off the both just wondering what power they can handle with out blowing up lol
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Another thing that not many people consider, is it depends greatly on how you drive

You can cruise around in a loud powerful machine and a standard old jap box no worries.. but if you like to sit at traffic lights revving it in neutral then jamming it into 3rd with no clutch, its not going to be so friendly.

If you like to be a little rough sometimes and dont want to spend heaps, then Luke is probably right for going with the stazza box (I'd like to hear how these actually compare with a jap 5spd.. but its kinda hard to do a sidebyside comparison)

Its not uncommon to use a toyota supra or celica 5spd either, the w58 especially due to its price. Just need to swap the bellhousing with a modified borgy one, get a custom crossmember and adapt the tailshaft to fit

Or if you've got the money you can always get a pneumatic planetary gearbox :P
Used in drag racing cars and withstand 1500+hp of torture
Weighs a fucktonne though
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

DOSEIN

Post by DOSEIN »

oh very good so i could use a celica 5 speed box with the same jap 5 speed bellhousing?

is it hard to do this conversion what needs to be modified to fit the celica box?

hey tufsig how much are the boxes that u have to our car are they hard to find also?