If this is a Jap Narrow Block 5 Speed... whats this???

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
MyToyGE

If this is a Jap Narrow Block 5 Speed... whats this???

Post by MyToyGE »

Hey all I was rummaging through some parts and I came across what looks to be a "Narrow block 5 speed" but when I put it next to an "Original" Jap 5 Speed I noticed some Differences.
I could be trippin but I have seen Borgie boxes before and this looks different to them too!

Here I have attached some pix

*Notice the removable plate over the extension housing where the gear stick goes on the Jap box but not the other.
jap box
Random box

having a closer look at the Imput shaft on both boxes the "Random" one is bigger in diameter 25mm(approx) with 23 splines as apposed to the Jap box 22mm (approx) with 21 splines..

any help solving this little mystery would be much appreciated.

MyToyGE.
C_Fernance

Re: If this is a Jap Narrow Block 5 Speed... whats this???

Post by C_Fernance »

I dare say that one is from an earlier vehicle - probably the one on the right as these had the shifter position closer to the engine.

The one on the left would be from a GJ or later car with the more rearward shifter position.

The smaller input shaft i have generally found behind 2 litre engines (i found a couple in GE Scorps) while the larger is usually found on the 2.6's.
panda

Post by panda »

Have you checked the diameter of the output shaft yet ?

It too could be different. Small = 2.0L Large = 2.6L
I'm here for a good time, not a long time !

GJ Rally Sigma, 2.6 Haltech MPI [SOLD]
MyToyGE

Post by MyToyGE »

this gearbox came out of a GE or a GH scorpion that was being wrecked which could mean C_Fernance is right and maybe it came off the narrow block 2.6???

the Output shaft on the rear extension housing is the same as the Narrow Jap one 21 spline and 23 mm diameter the whole length of the gearbox is the same too. I also checked the yoke on the tail shaft that I got with the box compared to a spare tail shaft and they are the same height and ruling out different lengths..
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

hey ive seen these weird boxes before. it was suggested to me that it was from a 5sp LC lancer???? there is another different box too that only came out in Gn siggys that is a wide bellhousing, long extension housing, and has a flat plate mounted where the gear shifter protrudes.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
MyToyGE

Post by MyToyGE »

hrrrmm

Strange... well hope it fits coz I plan to changeover with my screwed one:P

MyToyGE
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Any update on this??

I finally got around to digging out the 5 speed i've had down the back shed for the last few centuries and it's identical to the Gearbox in question here.

I'm planing on using it behind a 6-bolt crank 4G63 DOHC N/A and after comparing it to the plate that goes between the box and the block from the 4G63 it matches and the clutch also fit on the spline indicating it will fit.
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

This looks like the 2 boxes I have.
If they are the same length?
The one on the left I was told when I bought it from the wreckers was a late model sigma 2 litre box.
The one on the right I think is from an early 2 litre sigma and also 1.6 ltr LB/ LC lancer Hatch. (It appears to have a sigma mount attached)( it is also very similar to the Galant 4 speed which is another reason I think that it's same age as Galant/ Lancer hatch.
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

i believe these were also found on the a114 galants with the 1850 astron? I have all the details on the table outside, im in bed will check tomoro haha. These are the overseas models i think so if it is the one im thinkin of i wil tel u ratios n all that jazz when i look at it.
Cheers
shuggy

Post by shuggy »

no sorry book doesnt hav measurements, just ratios for the km132 and km110.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

[quote="astronturbo77" there is another different box too that only came out in Gn siggys that is a wide bellhousing, long extension housing, and has a flat plate mounted where the gear shifter protrudes.[/quote]

thats a km142 astron2 narrow box. its longer and has bigger splines both ends of the box.
gb galant efi 2.6 track toy
gj sedan hack car
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The box on the right could be a 4 speed.

Also there never was an GN Astron ll narrow block box, all GN 2 litre motors had Astron 1 narrow blocks.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

From what I've found.. L200 utes and Scorpions (at least GJ onwards, dont know about earlier ones) need the gear stick positioned further back in the car, hence the extension

I had both a wide and narrow jap box with the extensions, one from my GJ scorp, one from an L200.. but the 2 other boxes I've had didn't have the extension, and the gear stick would smash into my centre dash for 3rd gear

I'm not sure but tritons may also use the extension.

My guess.. they're both jap boxes, so 5spd with reverse below 5th, left is from a 2L ute, right from a 2L sigma
the scorp versions had the extension but SAME splines
utes had the extension with larger/different splines - I know that because I tried to use one with my scorp tailshaft.. after some vigerous poking I finally realised why it didnt go in :lol:
-
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.