Converting tail shafts??

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
Paddles

Converting tail shafts??

Post by Paddles »

hey,

i would like to put a one piece tail shaft into my scorp and have read in posts here and there about people using a sigma one piece tail shaft to replace the 2 piece tail shaft. i know that the end yokes are different from a scorp to sigma tail shaft is it just a straight swap over with same uni joint from sigma to scorp??

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Converting tail shafts??

Post by 81GL »

Hey paddles,

Not exactly sure on you situation; as in length, but for what its worth, yeah, the uni joints between the scorps, sigmas (and galants lol) are the same.

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

You should be able to find a tailshaft with the same yoke on it I thought

I've used a scorpion jap box and 2 different sigma borg warners with the same scorpion yoke
The only time I found one that didn't match was an L200 narrow Jap box
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Paddles

Post by Paddles »

the rear yoke between sigmas and scorps is different, the only difference is the central locatiing circle which centres it in inthe diff centre,one is slighty bigger than the other, pretty sure they are the same length as well, ive had them side by side before.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Paddles wrote:the only difference is the central locatiing circle which centres it in inthe diff centre,one is slighty bigger than the other
Also, they use different bolts to hold it to the diff. scorp ones are slightly larger.

Hmm, Now i think about it, didn't someone do this on the old website??? remember reading it ages ago (sorry, didn't take much notice not owning a scorp...)

Nick.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Paddles wrote:the rear yoke between sigmas and scorps is different, the only difference is the central locatiing circle which centres it in inthe diff centre,one is slighty bigger than the other, pretty sure they are the same length as well, ive had them side by side before.

Yeah sorry, I was thinking the front yoke
If you have a press of some kind you should be able to replace the rear yoke with one from a scorp. I don't see why the uni's would be different, they look the same at least

May I ask why you want to go to a one piece?

-
Chris
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Paddles

Post by Paddles »

if it was possible, i have all the parts lying around so i thought i would try and it and see if there is a difference between a one piece and the 2 piece. also the one in my car is tired. also i remember that post on the old site but i had no luck in finding it, i did save it somewhere on my comp as well but cant find it. to many articles on here.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

From what I've heard.. a once piece tailshaft should be stronger than a 2 piece, and having less parts in it.. its got less to break

But the reason behind the 2 piece is they have less vibration and dont rely as heavily on the 2 yokes being phased (aligned) in order to keep the driving speed constant

eg. a standard universal joint as used on the sigmas/scorps.. bent at a 30 degree angle, will increase in speed by 15% and then decrease in speed by 15% every revolution.
Aligning the yokes in a specific way they can cancel each other out to produce a constant speed.

If you ever find you break a tail shaft, or can feel/hear its vibrations etc then a 1 piece would be an idea.
But to be any better than a scorp one it would probably need to be a lot stronger than a standard one, and properly balanced to however fast you plan on spinning it

-
Chris