HELP! starter/bellhousing/flywheel issues

This section is for talk about anything to do with transmission or drivetrain.
sig2L

HELP! starter/bellhousing/flywheel issues

Post by sig2L »

okay so here is my problem..... im just finishing off my gk sigma. Its got a 6 bolt narrow block galant vr4 4g63 engine in it. Im running a borg warner bell housing (sandwich plate then mounted to W58.. not important) note im running the backing/cover plate off an evo 1-3 which lined up perfectly in regards to dowel locaters, starter motor holes and engine to bell housing bolts. Im running a narrow block flywheel ie off a galant gsr (6 bolt 4g63 fwd). Okay so here is the problem i just got a starter motor for it... its listed to suit 4g63, i bolted it up and........ you can just here the starter turning. Un bolted it tested it on the bench.. all good the gear comes forwards all the way and spins no dramas. I then had the box out cause its getting rebuilt and lined up the starter on the flywheel and from what i can see, it comes out far enough but is about 6mm to far away from the ring gear!!! so yeah obviously not gonna work..... have been told there is a difference between auto and manual starter but have worked out they only differ in regards to how far the gear actually comes out and not the actual placement of it. So yeah got no fu#@ing idea what to do now.... really wanna get my car on the road... Definitely not a wideblock engine, had a wide block flywheel doesn't even fit in the bell housing..... please some one shed some info on whats going on.........
Cheers Alex
oldn64
Oldn Engineering

Re: HELP! starter/bellhousing/flywheel issues

Post by oldn64 »

grab your original starter and have a look. when I did the 2.6 conversion I didnt have a new starter so the Galant 1.6 one was used no drama... give it a go..

Cheers

PS: This may not be your answer but it is interesting to find out whether it is the right direction
The way God intended it.....Chrysler for the win :D
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

yeah tried that no good either... aggghhhh
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

Cheater will correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a difference between the Narrow-block Rear wheel drive flywheel (which I suspect you will need) and the Front/All wheel drive 4G63 flywheels.

If you are in Sydney, I have a spare Rear Wheel Drive, Narrow Block Flywheel you could test it with.

Cheers.
stealth

Post by stealth »

yeah i used a l300 (single cam) flywheel as the fwd flywheel is 13mm smaller in diameter
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

Ahh interesting, I'm in Sydney... I'll grab that off ya if you don't mind, hope I don't need replace my brand new clutch... Surely that will be sweet...
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

sig2L wrote:Ahh interesting, I'm in Sydney... I'll grab that off ya if you don't mind, hope I don't need replace my brand new clutch... Surely that will be sweet...
I have no Idea about the clutch but PM me to organize the flywheel. I'm in the Parramatta area.

Cheers.
turbosigma

Post by turbosigma »

I removed the ring gear from a sigma flywheel - installed it on the vr4 4g63 flywheel - the sigma was just that bit bigger.

Can't see the stock ring much on the vr4 flywheel in this pic

With sigma ring gear and spigot bearing
stealth

Post by stealth »

:stupid:
nice work i didnt think of that ,and am not shocked to hear there interchangable
thats sweet
cheers stealth (H)
Engineering the unfair advantage !
Red bull , fuelling the fastest race cars on earth !
sig2L

Post by sig2L »

hey all fixed, ended up getting a narrow block rwd flywheel (cheers superscan811) all good now. And yeah i can confirm the vr4 flywheel is the same size it is just the OD that is larger so i could have gone that way too