Negative camber for better handling

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
NateD

Negative camber for better handling

Post by NateD »

On my 1981 GJ, I changed the camber by knocking the locating pins out of the strut tops and rotating them 180 degrees.

This is for the models with four bolts at the top of the strut and an oval shaped hole for the strut to go through.

When I got KYB strut tops, they actually came with the locating pins in the opposite position from the original ones.
DragonCypher

Re: Negative camber for better handling

Post by DragonCypher »

How much of a difference can you get with factory struts?

-
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

dirtygalant

Post by dirtygalant »

I did the same trick - I think it's approx 2 degrees difference. I was running about +0.5-1 degrees camber up front in stock standard form and after lowering and strut tops switched around I ended up with about -2.2-2.5 on the front.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

i did the same on my GJ, it did make a noticeable difference.

havent had an alignment yet and dont know how the tyre wear will go.
has anyone been running reasonably wide tyres with this done... does it dramatically wear the tyres unevenly?
Insert witty one liner here -->
dirtygalant

Post by dirtygalant »

am running 205/50 R16s for road rubber and 205/55 R16s slicks for track days - can't say I've noticed a difference in tyre wear. Camber by itself isn't the sole cause of un-even tyre wear, it's usually when it's combined with excess toe-in or toe-out that the camber wear is accelerated. I'm running approx -3.2-3.5 degrees on the rear of mine with the toe nearly spot on and the insides have bearly worn more than the rest of the tread.
NateD

Post by NateD »

Billsy wrote: havent had an alignment yet and dont know how the tyre wear will go.
You need to readjust the toe when you do it because it changes the toe a little.

Toe is really the only thing that is adjustable on these cars, so I do it myself by taping a couple sticks to the tires and measuring between the ends with a tape measure.
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

NateD wrote:
Billsy wrote: havent had an alignment yet and dont know how the tyre wear will go.
You need to readjust the toe when you do it because it changes the toe a little.

Toe is really the only thing that is adjustable on these cars, so I do it myself by taping a couple sticks to the tires and measuring between the ends with a tape measure.
yeah i did a "tapemeasure" wheel alignment when i did it, it went way way out but till i fix the farked balljoints, and rooted idler arm im not paying for an alignment.
Insert witty one liner here -->