Making a scorp handle beta, what have u done??

This section is for talk about anything to do with suspension, brakes, or wheels and anything in the general area.
Paddles

Making a scorp handle beta, what have u done??

Post by Paddles »

hey,

just wondering what people have done to make the handling of a scorpion better. so far i have replaced suspension with pedders sports shocks and king spring lows. lowest you can get unfortunately without cutting springs, anyone else lowered a scorp very low but legally???
ive also replaced the bushes with nolathene products and moved the strut tops inward for more camber.
i have been looking at adjustable strut tops from k-mac but i think the next up grade would be sway bars, i have found a couple of after market bars for the front but cant find a rear sway bar, pedders use to sell them but dont know??

what have people done from current and past experiences?? this car is mainly street driven but has the occasional club day around the track.

Paddles
'84 GL Scorp, Mildly Worked 2.6 With Sigma Turbo Setup.
DragonCypher

Re: Making a scorp handle beta, what have u done??

Post by DragonCypher »

I mentioned a while ago I used 25mm bolt on spacers to fit bigger wheels

But before putting the bigger wheels on I tried the spacers with the factory wheels.. pushing the wheel out by that much gave it more bite when first turning, and held better mid corner (whereas without spacers would start to understeer earlier, was a very noticable difference on the track)

Another thing it does is make the steering a lot heavier, so without power assist, its a lot more difficult to take sharp turns at speed
But that shouldnt be a problem unless you're a woman :lol:
Also means it self centres alot more, infact almost instantly

Other than that I can only suggest wider tyres. For the weight of a scorp, around 225-235 up front would be optimal. Power steering would almost be a necessity with them though

-
Chris
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Paddles

Post by Paddles »

cheers for the reply, ill be staying away from spacers, im more thinking of after market bolt ons, sways bars, strut tops etc. i really want to lower it more without cutting the springs. most companys make lows but nothing lower.

Paddles
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i have found a company called SELBY's, they only sell sway bars, they have sigmas/galants/scorps etc listed with standard replacements and also aftermarket sizes. has anyone used them before or heard any stories??

catalogue below::

http://www.selbys.com.au/docs/catalogues/EDS0021.pdf

Paddles
webby

Post by webby »

Why would you want beta? VHS is sooooo much better :P
The usual, starion struts, selby swaybars, decent shocks, and you can get superlows for the sigmas
Or you could go the whole hog with an S13 front end and whatever people do to the tail
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

i have front and rear shelby sway bars on my gl scorpion and heavy duty shocks with some extra neg camber on the front thing handles mad its not lowered atm but if it was it would be even better rear is solid as a rock
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

Paddles

Post by Paddles »

you mentioned super low springs. who sells these??? i have checked king springs, pedders, lovels etc.

as for selbys i will be buying front and rear sway bars after xmas.
webby

Post by webby »

Any spring company, they're the 50mm lower ones I think.
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

you can buy low shocks for scorps and sigmas but no one sells super low springs for them. the only way is to get kmac or some company similar to make some, they do any height for you. the lows are 50mm lower than standard. already have them installed, i want to go lower without chopping the springs. will prob have to get some made.

these super lows, can u remember which website or company sell them if they are avaiable??
webby

Post by webby »

Ummmm :$
I saw them on Ebay
-Josh.
endlss

Post by endlss »

i got white line front and rear sway bars kings and revalved shocks to match on 17's not spacers (20+) handles very well , but i got the rear sway bar with another car i brought , wouldnt go out and by one not with the solid rear these things have dont really see the point but i guess every little bit helps
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

yeah ill be upgrading the sway bars and then go from there. already done bushes springs and shocksetc. i sent a pm in regards to sway bar as well.

Paddles
Sigmaproject

Post by Sigmaproject »

The thing with springs is that they must remain captive, both for legality and safety.

Well we are probably not too concerned about the legal aspect. :wut:

But if your rego man actually jacks up your car to checks the suspension, and the spring falls out of it locating channels in the top or bottom mount, there could be an issue. :$

And I think that would probably happen if you lowered it more than 50mm :think:

Best I could do (legally) getting the wagon done at a reputable suspension firm was 30mm. So I had to shorten the strut tubes and fit different inserts. Then cut the springs :$
Last edited by Sigmaproject on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddles

Post by Paddles »

i just put some king low springs in and it was lowerd by 50mm, when i jack it up no problem with them dropping. i reckon it will prob stay as it is unless someone makes some superlows for scorps. mine is all mod plated and all legal so im going to try and keep it that way.