How do i wire an inbuilt regulator alternator

This section is for talk about anything to do with electrics, audio, lighting, etc.
Angus260z

How do i wire an inbuilt regulator alternator

Post by Angus260z »

How do i wire an inbuilt regulator alternator where an external regulator alternator come out????
If any1 knows it would be a big help..thank you
EVL076
S-G Veteran

Re: How do i wire an inbuilt regulator alternator

Post by EVL076 »

hmmm, are you wanting to know "how to bypass the external voltage reg? cos your alt is now internal reg"

i can tell ya, but not til i look at my wiring in my galant 2moro
some one might know off the top of their head

if no one answers, i will post it up :thumpsup:

topic moved to correct forum area...
please try to post in the relevant areas
and please try to keep it down to 1 question of the same,
i have deleted 3 of your topics that all asked this question
Image Image
Angus260z

Post by Angus260z »

Cheers mate it would be a big help
rob020

Post by rob020 »

i too would like to know... apparently you have to connect two of the regulator wires and run a 2w charge indicator lamp to the d terminal and run the b terminal straight to your battery... knowing which two wires i have to connect would be helpfull
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
conversation recently overheard at police station after big night out
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

How many terminals on the new alt?
Are they labelled (D+, L, S, etc)?

You need to work out which wire goes to the 'ALT' or 'CHG' lamp on the dash.

This can be done with a test light (with a bulb in it!!) by disconnecting the regulator (driver's strut tower), turning the ignition ON, earth one side of the test light (or bulb) and probing each wire (on the CAR side) until the 'ALT' light comes on the dash. The test light will glow dull. Note the colour.

The rest depends on what other connections you need...

cheers
Gaz
Race car '72 GA Galant - aka Morgan (here now!)
Road car '73 GB Galant - completely stock and original
2nd car '80 LC Lancer Hatch - 4G54 EFI
rob020

Post by rob020 »

hmm... i know how to wire up an alternator... the main problem is with the regulator, how do we bypass the regulator and still have the ammeter in the dash work?
"launching missiles? who do they think i am? iraq? where would i get a missile from?" "that means rocks too dumbaass" "oh"
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

rob020 wrote:hmm... i know how to wire up an alternator... the main problem is with the regulator, how do we bypass the regulator and still have the ammeter in the dash work?
IIRC the ammeter works by sensing the voltage drop across the main fusible link. So, what alternator and/or regulator should make SFA difference!

cheers
Gaz
rob020

Post by rob020 »

so your saying i can just unplug the old external regulator alternator and run new wires for my new internal regulator alternator and everything will work as it should...

ive been informed by a reliable source that you need to do something to the external regulator wiring...

wher'd evl076 go anyway?
lpgalant

Post by lpgalant »

the ammeter wont work at all if u use a internel reg alternater, join the wires on the fac reg together, then run a wire with 12 volt igniton only power to a 3watt globe, then to the L symbol on alternater so u excite it when u start engine, when alternater spin, it breaks this circuits earth and light turns off, and the S sense wire to the main charge wire, thats all u do, hope u understand this, there should be a post a while ago on this, a we did a diagram for evl076, well see if this is still floating around.

without the wire from ignition, alternater doesnt know it needs to charge unless u rev it up high, power from ignition basiclly tells reg to start charging.
69 vf valiant coupe 225 efi turbo
74 gc galant 2.6 stroker 3.0
lpg c10 9 inch gt 4088 roller
rob020

Post by rob020 »

lpgalant wrote:the ammeter wont work at all if u use a internel reg alternater.
:) thanks... i do half know what im talking about

i did find this: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/marl ... lator.html
but i couldnt make heads or tails out of their wiring diagram... bloody backwards arse yanks....
lpgalant

Post by lpgalant »

:) thanks... i do half know what im talking about

i did find this: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/marl ... lator.html
but i couldnt make heads or tails out of their wiring diagram... bloody backwards arse yanks....[/quote]

thats not what u asked in previous psots, i just answered them, thats all, good luck with it, let us know how u go
69 vf valiant coupe 225 efi turbo
74 gc galant 2.6 stroker 3.0
lpg c10 9 inch gt 4088 roller
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

Righto.

Assuming you have one of these

and you want to use one of these instead

Then do this.

Unplug the regulator, unbolt it and throw it away (not really, keep it as a momento!).

Cut the 4-pin plug off at the alternator.
Find 2 wires that go from the alternator plug to the regulator (hint: look at the colours).

Find the wire that goes to the charge light (as per my previous post) and connect it to one of the wires that goes to the regulator from the alternator (hint: both these wire are in the regulator plug and can easily be joined together).

Connect that wire to the "L" terminal of the alternator.

Find the wire in the regulator plug that gets 12 volts on it when the ignition is turned on.

Connect this to the other wire going to the alternator.
Connect the alternator end to the "S" terminal on the alternator (this is the one NOT marked "L").

Turn ignition on and make sure charge lamp is ON.
Start car and make sure charge lamp is OFF.

cheers
Gaz
rob020

Post by rob020 »

lpgalant wrote:thats not what u asked in previous psots, i just answered them, thats all, good luck with it, let us know how u go
huh? the title post of the thread is "how do i wire up an intenal regulator alternator where an external regulator one came out" what didnt i ask?
gaz914 wrote:Righto.

Assuming you have one of these

and you want to use one of these instead

Then do this.

Unplug the regulator, unbolt it and throw it away (not really, keep it as a momento!).

Cut the 4-pin plug off at the alternator.
Find 2 wires that go from the alternator plug to the regulator (hint: look at the colours).

Find the wire that goes to the charge light (as per my previous post) and connect it to one of the wires that goes to the regulator from the alternator (hint: both these wire are in the regulator plug and can easily be joined together).

Connect that wire to the "L" terminal of the alternator.

Find the wire in the regulator plug that gets 12 volts on it when the ignition is turned on.

Connect this to the other wire going to the alternator.
Connect the alternator end to the "S" terminal on the alternator (this is the one NOT marked "L").

Turn ignition on and make sure charge lamp is ON.
Start car and make sure charge lamp is OFF.

cheers
Gaz
:thumpsup: spot on mate... thanks heaps!!

edit: well, i just went out and did it, it was alot easier to undrstand with it all infront of me :) especially once i realised theres only 2 wires going to the regulator... and then the 4 wires to the old alternator :)

once again thanks heaps everyone... havent got it the car running yet so i wont know if my ammeter works as it should for abit..
rob020

Post by rob020 »

when i put my battery in my boot should i run the "sense" wire straight to the battery? so it sees proper battery voltage or whatever? could i leave the old sense wire still attached or disconnect it??

also is there a part number for the 2 pin alternator plug? would i even be able to get a new one from super-auto-rep-cheap-co-barn?

cheers,
rob
gaz914

Post by gaz914 »

rob020 wrote:when i put my battery in my boot should i run the "sense" wire straight to the battery? so it sees proper battery voltage or whatever? could i leave the old sense wire still attached or disconnect it??

also is there a part number for the 2 pin alternator plug? would i even be able to get a new one from super-auto-rep-cheap-co-barn?

cheers,
rob
Wouldn't bother moving the sense wire.

Plug is a common automotive one, try auto elec or wreckers :)
rob020

Post by rob020 »

cheers :thumpsup:

ill add it to the list of things to get next payday... gosh they all add up on these conversions dont they...