my gc and my gb galant pics and a good read

Members Rides can be viewed here, remember when posting here to keep mechanical discussions for its appropriate forum.
2Lgalant

my gc and my gb galant pics and a good read

Post by 2Lgalant »

Hi guys,
it's been a while but finally thought I'd put pics up, and show the progress I've made on my cars from then till now. I bought the GC as a granny car off an old lady in Sydney.
I saw it one day and thought its nice and stock wonder where they got it from, little did I know that they had it from new lol. Anyway couple months down the track I saw a neighbour in their shed and asked who owned it (out of a car at the time and in desperate need of one) they said I'll give you the number, so I called, and its a young bloke who was actually looking after the car for the old lady and he said he'd ask later that day. I got a phone call and she said she would sell it for $800. I was like nah bit pricey for me so I said $500 ended up agreeing at $600.

I got the car and drove it home the 200 odd kms, then found from sitting so long the welsh plugs rotted away, and so was overheating. Next day I changed them, was shocked repco had them in store but got them and put them in and bingo.

I put a stereo system in it, but didn't want to stuff the immaculate dash, so I put it under the glove box out of the way, but kept the dash from getting stuffed (which I really didn't want to do as it was so nice). I pulled original parcel self out and used it as a template to cut a bit of form ply I had lying around, and put two 6x9 holes in it covered it and put the original one up on the shelf for safe keeping. I ran all the wires and things so it can all be removed if need, be and will never notice.

I drove it round for a few months, and then a guy I recently met said he had a galant in his shed (which he recently purchased) a GB, I went and had a look at it, asked how much he said $1200 (I was like I'll think about it) couple weeks later I asked how much just for the rims, we settled on $200 for them as they needed tyres which I had, so I put them on.

Then one day I had a look under my car to just check it out and wow, I've never seen a guard in that poor shape before someone tried a dodgy weld on it with a bit of tin and lead wipe and some sort of copper I think it was. I said bugger it cut it straight off made a new piece to fit, and welded it on them shaped it and primed it. Then a bit further along more bog (another bodgy fix) just under the front door in the bottom sill a massive bang looks like the old girl hit a gutter or something, but oh well slide hammered it out as much as I could, then had to finish it with bog as it wasn't going to come much more better then what it did.

I'm happy with it so far, so after fixing all that finally after 3 weeks of non stop work on it (at night after work and stuff) I finally got it back on the road wow it was a great feeling.

So all was good for a couple more months then one day I get a msg of the guy with the GB, do you still want it? I asked how much he said $600 as is (in pieces getting resprayed in canary yellow) I said ill give you $400 he said sure (as he was strapped for cash, been out of work and needed to pay bills) so picked it up took it home and started work on it, then while unpacking it I noticed the tail lights are broken, but thanks to mitsugalant on the site for selling me a good pair. I'm happy to have all the parts in good condition just spewing the guy threw the original seats out (as its got sparco racing seats in it ) but oh well have a look at the pics see what you guys think.
Image this is what it looked like when the guy i got it off bought it from sydney
2Lgalant

Re: my gc and my gb galant pics and a good read

Post by 2Lgalant »

not sure if i done the pics rite but yeah if i didnt soz guys
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by 81GL »

Fixed those links up for ya mate :thumpsup:
good write up! always good to read another persons story of their obsession.

Just one request... can you please put in some punctuation :hit: lol

Cheers.
Nick.

PS: will send you a PM with how to show the pictures from photobucket.
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
dvsfin

Post by dvsfin »

what size are those wheels?
webby

Post by webby »

Too big IMO :P
Looks tidy mate :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i like it. nice work taking the effort to keep it all original and not ruining the dash etc. rims arent what id choose. i liked it with stockies better.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
NO15SY

Post by NO15SY »

looking good!!
wheels are farily tasteful too, nice work.
gratz on owning a beast! :P

Adrian
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

81GL wrote:Just one request... can you please put in some punctuation :hit: lol
I gave it a small edit, I hope it's ok :think: pm sent.
webby wrote:Too big IMO :P
Nah, I like 'em :thumpsup: It's something different anyway, and for $200, that's a joke. I would have bought them too.
kenvv wrote:i like it. nice work taking the effort to keep it all original and not ruining the dash etc. rims arent what id choose. i liked it with stockies better.
Yep agreed, it's the extra effort taken to ensure the little things are kept original (or tastefully modified) that make all the difference.
And as for the wheels, I have no problem with just about any bolt on mods, just keep the originals just incase you either sell it, or want to return it to stock (or need to?)

What other plans do you have the the GC and what also do you have planned for the GB?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

hey guys

wheel size is 17" i do have the origianal wheels and hubcabs sitting in the shed so i can put everything back to standered.

Ok plans for gc is to put a single weber with extractors and 2" exhaust and leave auto for now. And keep it stock otherwise.

And gb finish spraying it in yellow with silver racing stripes staright across the middle. 2L astron with twin solexs and jap 5 speed with a locked diff in the rear. other then the sparco seats and possible full sound system thats pretty much it. oh and trying to find myself some 14" stock wheels as ill leave the stockies on there. lol

Some pics of the gc dash and parcel shelf there not perfect but u can see how i did the stereo and parcel shelf.

2Lgalant

Post by 2Lgalant »

Ok thought I'd let you know where I'm up to with the gc I've lowered it 2" in the rear (wow idk if I like it lol ) the single side draught is on but still trying to work out the linkage stuff for the throttle and waiting for a dizzy to come as myn s#*t it's self but owell

Now for the gb it's slowly getting there just really trying to get as much rust as I can out of it so it's in a million pieces at the moment lol but will be done one day Just don't get alot of time at all to do anything
foxpsi

Post by foxpsi »

nice projects mate love the wheels.
It's four and a half hammers across!!!