Round 2 !! 75 Galant sedan

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
driftforlife

Round 2 !! 75 Galant sedan

Post by driftforlife »

Hiii everybodyy! :D

Galant #2 for me and it's going to be done slowly and carefully :thumpsup:
1975 Chrysler Galant sedan, originally yellow.. now mismatch and primer. Very undecided on what colour i will paint it :think:
1.6L Saturn 4G32 (chain drive im pretty sure), 5 speed freshly rebuilt jap box with unused heavy duty clutch, lowered front pedders suspension, i think pedders rear shocks, a set of TRX 15x5.5 alloys to go on it, and the seats are even more Micky Mouse then my old ones :P
It's very much in pieces at the moment but i've got pretty much double of every part and all sorts of goodies :D and it does have front guards, they're just not attached at the moment.

Last edited by driftforlife on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current
Nissan S15 Silvia Autech - stanced and low daily/drifter

Past
95 Honda Civic EG VTI - blew up :D
75 Chrysler Galant Sedan GC - :/
98 Subaru Liberty 2.5L RX AWD - old daily cruiser
91 Nissan Silvia S13 SR20DE - filthy drift pig that was a mistake to try have as a daily
76 Chrysler Galant Sedan GC - sadly missed ;(
A112H

Re: Round 2 !! 75 Galant sedan

Post by A112H »

Looks like a good project. Is that Kirks old car?
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

yeh it should be good :)
yes it is, the one he had twin dellortos on.
Current

Past
91 Nissan Silvia S13 SR20DE - filthy drift pig that was a mistake to try have as a daily
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Glad to hear 3 things here:
1. that this car gets a second chance at being rebuilt.
2. that you 'driftforlife' get another chance at restoring a GC sedan as you wanted to before.
3. That when it's done, we should have another Galant to come along to the cruises (when they get going again?)

The thing that puzzles me about this car is, why did Kirk just give up on it? He was getting right into it, and spending some pretty serious coin on it (from what I saw anyway), then he just gave up?

Any congrats on the pickup. How much of a hassle was it to get it up from SA?

And are you willing to spill the beans on any plans you have for it?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

hahaha those are 3 very good things :D

Kirk is going to USA to study for four years, or something like that, so he couldn't finish it and started parting it out.. then i came along and when :o gimme gimme gimme LOL

thanks, Kirk and his dad drove it all the way up on a trailer in 2 days with only half an hour of slept :| i paid him for the delivery but still extremely noble effort :thumpsup:

plans are to put it together like complicated lego and get it sprayed, get it running and registered.. and slowly perfect it over time :D
Current

Past
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

what was wrong with your old one
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

to be honest.. nothing, just needed an engine rebuilt, a respray and some bearings
i was stupid, got a loan and bought a drift pig silvia instead of using that money to fix the Galant :facepalm:
Current

Past
DanTurboLancer

Post by DanTurboLancer »

Ahh well you live and learn mate :thumpsup:

Enjoy the build, good to see you back
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

That's a good thing for Kirk and his Dad to do, to deliver it for you?
astronturbo77 wrote:what was wrong with your old one
I remember when he was selling it. He was torn between doing it up and driving it. At the time he just couldn't see how he could do both.
Shame though, the old blue one must have had the straightest set of bumpers I've ever seen?
I came real close to buying it, but I just missed out by a day (that's what you get for not being able to make up your mind?).

You get another chance to build this driftforlife
Just a thought, but maybe you should spray it Stellar Blue (same as the old one) and take up from where you left off?

Have you tried the TRX rims on it? The sit all wrong on it? You'd need big spacers on it to make them look any good?
You can fit large wheels on it. I don't know what sort of budget you have, but go and have a look at Ottomoto. They are at 13 Bourke St North Parramatta.
A couple of links to them:
http://www.otomoto.com.au/wheels/14used.htm
http://www.otomoto.com.au/wheels/15used.htm
You can go up to an 8 inch rim. But in 8 inch you'll need either +10 or +20 offset. 77galantv6 has 0 offset with 195 tyres, it's a little too close?
If you went a 7 inch rim 0 offset would fit fine.
The rims on my wagon are 13x6 with +10 offset just for interest sake.

Anything you need or anytime you need a hand or some advice (if I can help) just let me know?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

Thanks Dave, i am highly considering stellar metallic blue.. Still undecided though.
Yeh i think TRX rims wont sit nicely enough even with the 25mm bolt on spacers to go on the back, but they're just going to be temporary until i have big moneys to get my Koya AE Tek 15x7 or 8 with offset between 0-20 :P

Yeh there is a few things i may need a hand with.. Thanks :)
Current

Past
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Good to see you back on the horse mate (...woah, if you really think about it there's a pun in there.)
I remember seeing your blue GC around the traps, pretty sure you're a local.

Speaking of which, that drift-pig silvia wouldn't happen to be sitting in a street off sackville st in blacktown with the front all stowed in would it (I wont name the street for privacy of course)

If so, you'll probably be the first to see my and my GF's coupe back on the road. It's merely 100 or so mtrs from her place ;-)
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

yeh i still live locally to you so i'll probably be the first to see your coupe on the road. I've seen it in your shed a few times on my way past.
Hahah last time I saw the silvia it was in Sutherland or something with it's new owner LOL
could be anywhere by now
Current

Past
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

:think: i need help
i have no idea where to start on the galant, so much to do :\ every time i go to start working on it and doing something i get freaked out by the amount of stuff that needs to be done and a walk away :(
im losing inspiration and desire to built it :hit: just dunno what to do :think:
Current

Past
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Just go out there and do a bit each night or weekend. Dont look at it as "oh crap, there is a shitload of stuff still to do" but more from the other point of view of "look what i achieved today". The more you do the more you will see the progress being made and want to finish it.
Go over the whole car and write a list of stuff that you need to do to it, then just start to work through it. Some of it will be easy to do, some wont. This is the way i have done my car's. Some are still being built going on 5yrs, other's have only taken a few month's to do, but still the list's are getting shorter coz i go out there and spend an hour or so doing something if not a whole day.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

davetrees

Post by davetrees »

What he said ...... making a list is key !! (In fact I did exactly that today, because the size of the task of getting the rally car ready for this season was getting me down ....)

Put EVERYTHING on the list, even the small jobs. Put it on a big sheet of paper on the shed wall where you can see it. Every time you tick one off it's a sense of achievement, and it helps keep the motivation going.

Don't get hung up on timelines, just focus on crossing things off. You'll be amazed the difference it makes ... I crossed half a dozen or so things off my list today, each of them were only small jobs but my list is now shorter. Get the small / easy jobs done first (where possible) - that way you actually see progress (although it's good to keep a few "15 minute jobs" on the list, for those times when you don't have time to tackle the bigger ones).

One day the "to do" list will be shorter than the "done" list !! :thumpsup:
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

make a list of all the things you need to achieve. if it was mine it would be stripped to a bare shell and the body work done first and painted, then slowly piece it back together.
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The best way I find to get the huge amount of things to do done, is do one job at a time. Don't start anything else until each job is completed. Break the things to do into small jobs that are achievable in short periods, and when you have had enough, walk away. The last thing you want to do is make it a chore, and end up making yourself hating the car.

Lists are a good thing too.
Have a clear plan of where you want to end up. Make sure it's in your budget and make sure you can do it in a reasonable time frame.

Place pics up here as you go too. The members here are always good ones to keep you motivated.
Everyone wants to see you succeed and finish your dream of a tidy GC. :thumpsup:

Get stuck into it.

Dave...
driftforlife

Post by driftforlife »

ok
still haven't made a list, yeh im a little lazy :roll:

but ive decided to get it all painted first of all
and i am honestly surprised at how expense getting a car painted is :|
i knew it was expensive, but wow!
gotta get rid of the rust myself though.. which will be fun lol

that is all :P
Current

Past
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

How are you going with the build?
Any updates?

Sorry, I've been meaning to drop in and see what your up too with it :think:

Dave...