Kens 4G63 GC Galant - Finally painted!

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
geezer101

Re: kens GC 4g63 sedan - *lots of pics

Post by geezer101 »

Heads up, kenvv! I decided to do some research 'bout your spring dilemma. The place isn't called universal springs, it's industrial springs (port rd, hindmarsh) . Had a chat to them, said they could make up a set but getting the right material stock is difficult. However, I had a quiet chat to one of the guys working there and he pointed me towards a fellow named Pedro who sets their leaf assemblies up. He reckons he could reset your springs and temper them to their original tension for about $200. Turn around is one day. You can find this genius behind their main manufacturing workshop in the back street @ door 29. He informed me there's no point to taking your spring apart and flipping them back as they would return to their original height without rolling them and putting them through a high temp oven. Maybe worth a look? :idea:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

absolute champ! :thumpsup:
yeh ive spoken to them in emails before but never really discussed the issue well enough to get a decent answer. that sounds good. did he give you the street name or just number 29 of a street? or a contact phone number for this pedro gent? i could cruise up with the springs still on the car and have a chat with him about what i want and see what he says. will do it once the new wheels are on and see how much higher it need to go.

i changed the brake booster bottles over today to new "unmelted" ones. now the test to see if the beanie and the thermal wrap are enough protection. and pulled the front grill off and getting that plastic welded up and repainted. been a productive (((((expensive))))) few days for me. stoked :)
vrooooom vrooooom!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

These guys manufacturing plant is the entire block. The door numbers start in the side street by the showroom/office at the left (rose st), there's a side access lane with a double gate (ignore these) and keep going to you reach the street behind (ridley st). Turn left into this street and at the end of the workshop sheds there's a gate with #29 above it. Go in here and have a word to a short, older fellow named Pedro. Glad to help dude! :thumpsup:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

pulled the front grill off the other day. got it painted up finally so its all shiny again. was flaking before.

also got the hotwires on. car is filthy in pics. they look much better on car IMO. quite pleased with how they sit in the guards and they actually reduce the bottom out issue due to tyre not rubbing in guard. also easier to take off in with smaller diameter wheel. dont have to ride the clutch as much.

on another note. was cruising through tunnels other night and gave it a little stick (not like the skylines currently on the news) and heard a pop the car was running like ass. seen this problem before. pulled over, checked all cooler piping and found that one of the vac lines had split and popped off. need to go buy some clamps to hold them on there better

vrooooom vrooooom!!
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey buds,i love your car man its fu#@ing awsome.. :thumpsup:
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

cheers man. wish i could paint it black like yours. not much more to do on it besides paint now. just going to do the car for now and get around to the engine bay later. i want to do some engine work when it gets pulled out but coin is actual low these days.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

hey mate like the look of the hotwires :thumpsup: was wondering how much the turbo beanie set you back and the thermal wrap? may be needing some soon
M.B:thumpsup:
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

the turbo beanie was $150 from horsepower in a box at lonsdale. he makes them himself and was reccomended to him by a trusted mechanic. the thermal wrap was like $50-70 from memory for a pack. can buy it by the metre though. plus some metal cable ties to secure it $15 roughly. just got that from autobahn but heaps of places sell it so try look around for a deal if ya can be bothered. just make sure you follow the safety instructions as its fibreglass i think. its extremely itchy and sucks to breathe in. i used about 2 metres to cover the foot of wrapping i did. but i overlapped 50% each wrap as needed extra protection for the brake booster. otherwise 25% is recomended for normal use. goodluck!
vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Ken those hotwires are awesome, so reminds me of my first Galant... if you ever want to sell them, please give me first option on them! :D
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

cheers, not likely but will do :P they sit heaps nicely. and now because the diameter is smaller on the back, the car sits about an inch lower.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
webby

Post by webby »

Looking good Ken :)
Looks like you could probably go 8's on the rear if you felt like molesting your guards a little ;)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh i could if i raised the rear end. and i dont see to many sets pop up in decent sizes and offsets. this is the only 4 stud set ive seen apart from the standard ones in crap sizes from the mazdas
vrooooom vrooooom!!
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

Haven't investigated getting your rear springs reset?
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

nah not yet. ended up working at my old winery on the side for extra cash for a few days so ran out of time. fly out again tomorrow :( will do tho. cheers for doing the leg work :thumpsup:
vrooooom vrooooom!!
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

working away does suck a bit, least if your working around the place you can come back home and mess around with a spare second or 2 but when your away your kinda stuck with hotel room or pubs, well thats my case any ways :P would rather be home working on the car 24/7 but when theres time the rain seems to take advantage :@ oh well :P

M.B :thumpsup: i try to think of it as planning time for stuff thats gotta get done on the car
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

yeh thats exactly what i did this time round. i had two weeks away to make the list of what i wanted to accomplish in my two weeks off. but heading for 3 weeks away now. but im out in the desert on the oil rigs with no booze etc. just a little camp of transportables. gives me time to save for the next bunch of stuff i want to do though. the car is almost done. just went out and got some prices for painting the car and had a look at some colours. next few months i can book that in hopefully
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

someone on another forum very kindly did some photoshopping for me into 3 colours similar to what i was looking at. now on the car i dont like either of the greens. i really love the black. ive got 5 weeks in adelaide coming up so im going to try and get the rear leafs sorted, order front and rear window rubber for paint time, and make a decision on the colour i want and order it. but ive always fancied black as discussed many times. and despite the issues with the colour some people brought up. i still really like it. and hopefully book it in for its spray job :thumpsup: man i love tax money :D

vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The Hotwires look sooo much better then the turbo rims. I've never liked the turbo rims on your car with the red.
As far as the black, if your car is straight enough then go for it, but don't forget once you change the wheels it will look different again. I just wonder how the Hotwires will look with the black?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

ive always hated the red paint, never liked the turbo rims on my car either, and the tyre size was all wrong on them. its so much easier to drive and take off in with a smaller diameter tyre on the rear. i have faith in the guy doing the body work. explained to him what results i want etc. removing the windows etc to get a proper job done and spending plenty of time to get it all right. im in no rush. i dont think the hotwires will suit the black either. but id prefer to choose wheels around paint colour than paint colour around wheels. can change them after if they dont look good. i think it will just be too much black with them on.
vrooooom vrooooom!!
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

BLACK :thumpsup: love it! looks mad
M.B :thumpsup:
webby

Post by webby »

I had a look at the wreckers in Forbes for those badges and whatnot, they didn't have any GC's but there was a tired looking GD. Not sure if it had pillar badges or not, dunno if they'd be any good to you if they are there?
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Paint it black and sell me the hotwires : D
But yeah black is the choice of those 3
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

there is a pair of badges on ebay at the moment that id really like to get my hands on. hopefully i will remember to place a bid. i really want a set.

Lee, if the hotwires dont match they are "potentially" up for grabs. but see how it pans out in the next few months with painting etc :) black looks so awesome in the pic. i would be stoked to have it looking that clean. only crap part is im not doing the engine bay yet so that will look crap for a while still
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

window rubber on order! galant tentative booked in for respray in about two weeks, and mate is dropping off the paint supplies tonight. settled with jet black. im so excited! :D
vrooooom vrooooom!!
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

gave the car a much needed clean on this fine adelaide day. i wanted some pre-respray photos. also took the front sunvisor off. i like it :thumpsup:

vrooooom vrooooom!!
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Wow, just wow!
Looks great ESP with hotwires
A112H

Post by A112H »

That does look very nice indeed. The hotwires look much deeper all painted up :thumpsup:
I have just noticed the lights, is it a GC with GD headlights or a GD with GC tail lights?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:I have just noticed the lights, is it a GC with GD headlights or a GD with GC tail lights?
I'd say a GC with GD headlights. It has the raised panelwork between the tail lights that a GC does and a GD doesn't.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
77galantv6

Post by 77galantv6 »

also got GC indicators**....
'77 Galant V6....

1977 Galant with Commodore V6 conversion.

kenvv

Post by kenvv »

thanks for the props Lee. I was actually surprised that i like the photos so much too! but the paint is not as good as it looks in the photos i must admit.
i like the first photo the best. the sunlight seems to have put a haze on the image that makes it look old.

ive never been sure on the combo of GC or GD lights. it does have the raised section between the lights as dave mentioned. it is a 1975 from memory. i personally like the GC rear lights the best. but prefer the single headlight front as on Dave's wagon. but i think i asked at the begining somewhere and i was advised its a pain to change then. the front grill is all bracketed up original so i thought it was the stock supplied one?
vrooooom vrooooom!!