My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
A112H

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by A112H »

Hey Hotwire, yeah it is kinda getting there, lol. It is in more pieces but I have accumulated more pieces too :P Recently another hardtop :lol:
If I can stick to my list all should be well in the last 1/4 of 2011. Speaking of the to do list, I am collecting the diff today, complete, minus centre. I will order a new LSD centre tomorrow so should have the rear end sorted once and for all in a week or so. One thing off the list :)

ddt, yeah I am sticking with the 6's on the front but I have used 25mm spacers to move them out and increase track (will get a pic today to show the difference). I am very happy with how the rears turned out, I turned up at the machine shop with a few measurements and a heap of guessing and couldn't be happier with the result. As for the tyres I wanted a little streatch but nothing too silly, I think the overall look of the rears is exactly what I was after :D
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I got around to fitting the spacers today and took some pics. I think it looks better with the extra track and filling the gaurds.

Before

After
ddt

Post by ddt »

the fronts look spot on now :thumpsup:
'Member's Rides' Link for LIL RED WGN: http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4742
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, I have finally given in and ordered my brand new GSII tail lights today :P Yes they are expensive but they will look sooooooooo sweet :D

After having a chat with the bloke he has some MAD Galant stuff in stock, here is a short list of what he told me he has;

Rear 1/4's to suit 16L Hardtops
Rear 1/4's to suit GTO's
Windscreen rubbers for GA-GD sedans and wagons and GTO's
GC/GD hardtop grills and grill badges
GC/GD hardtop windscreens

And much, much more I can't remember.
All of these parts are brand new and he claims are genuine items. I will let you all know the condition of my lights and if they are in fact genuine I will post his contact details.
He has assured me he is into old school cars and would love to see 70's Mitsubishi's stand up in collectability alondside Toyota's and Datsun's.
He is willing to offer us some good pricing and a break on freight. As a sign of goodwill he dropped my freight charge :)
woops

Post by woops »

His shop is literally 2 min down the road from me so I should be able to check out some of the things if people wanted any info. That's if it's the phils rotarys place or something like that. Although that hardtop grill is tempting for my coupe. The tail lights are definitely genuine as I know Jamie with his 2 door twin-cam hardtop galant ended up putting a set of them onto his car to replace his older looking ones. They make the car look much better with new parts, especially as his car is actually originally a import version too.
'72 GB Galant Sedan nanna spec daily
'85 GN Sigma Wagon 4g63 SOHC Turbo almost ready for the road
'74 GC Galant Coupe long term project
woops

Post by woops »

Here's a pic of those tail lights on his coupe to show you how good they are.

And a pic of the engine bay and body for those who don't know the car.

GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

that looks so mad, i like those tail lights.
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
A57C

Post by A57C »

really liking that "hockey stick" trim beneath the side glass (H)

is that jdm or?
A112H

Post by A112H »

I must have about 30 pics of his car on my pc, lol, it is very nice.
woops

Post by woops »

burabuda wrote:really liking that "hockey stick" trim beneath the side glass (H)

is that jdm or?
Jamie seems to think it's a JDM feature but in his many brochures has never seen one with the same trim. The car was definitely an import as it has no aussie compliance plates and was brought over here about 15 to 20 years ago. it also has an extra switch on the steering column for a different style of lighting which no aussie version has. His car also originally had the JDM taillights but he wanted to put on the new ones while they were still available.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

The only thing I don't like about Jamie's coupe is the wheels.

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

I am unsure if this car is an import or not (besides all hardtops were imported). The only thing imported are the tail lights, for it to have those tail lights and that grill it should have been a GSII model and the badging is all wrong, it is badged as a local GL 1600 the same as all the others.
Don't get me wrong, it is a great car and is very nicely built.
A57C

Post by A57C »

woops wrote:Jamie seems to think it's a JDM feature but in his many brochures has never seen one with the same trim. The car was definitely an import as it has no aussie compliance plates and was brought over here about 15 to 20 years ago. it also has an extra switch on the steering column for a different style of lighting which no aussie version has. His car also originally had the JDM taillights but he wanted to put on the new ones while they were still available.
well the extra switch on the steering column should operate the "alley' lights
a jdm feature that allows the left side f&r lamps or the right side f&r lamps to light up on low wattage

the hockey strip trim is actually seen in some jdm brochures
sometimes difficult to detect if it's painted a similar colour to the car

btw, does your buddy want my jdm guard mirrors?
they are the oem black plastic "bullet" type

somebody else on here wanted them but never got back to me
SharmCos

Post by SharmCos »

75wagon wrote:The only thing I don't like about Jamie's coupe is the wheels.

Dave...
Cheviot wheels aren't they?
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

SharmCos wrote: 75wagon wrote:The only thing I don't like about Jamie's coupe is the wheels.

Dave...

Cheviot wheels aren't they?
I think so?
I know the style is called 'Hurricane'.
They just look too 'Dukes of Hazard' to me.
I think those wheels look crap on anything else other then the 'General Lee' (but that is just my opinion?)

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Nath76LA

Post by Nath76LA »

The first pic has different wheels to the Cheviot's, more like Superlites which suit the car.

Nath
1976 Galant Hardtop
woops

Post by woops »

Yeah he has the superlight style rims on it now. Those other pics are about 2 years old but they showed the different styling better then some of the others i have here. And also it is definitely not an aussie model as there are too many little differences, like things like the chrome door sill trims actually have colt written on them instead of the standard diamond pattern and a few other things too. The car has also undergone a few repairs over the years too with the front guards having been replaced at some time and possibly the grill. It was imported into Australia from one of the nearby island nations many years ago. I can try and find out more info but after seeing it up close it is definitely an import model.
burabuda wrote:well the extra switch on the steering column should operate the "alley' lights
a jdm feature that allows the left side f&r lamps or the right side f&r lamps to light up on low wattage

the hockey strip trim is actually seen in some jdm brochures
sometimes difficult to detect if it's painted a similar colour to the car

btw, does your buddy want my jdm guard mirrors?
they are the oem black plastic "bullet" type

somebody else on here wanted them but never got back to me
I seem to remember it was something like that but I could remember the details exactly. I'll also have to ask him about the mirrors next time I see hem hopefully in a few weeks.
Tj.

Post by Tj. »

Galant_GT0 wrote: After having a chat with the bloke he has some MAD Galant stuff in stock, here is a short list of what he told me he has;

Rear 1/4's to suit 16L Hardtops
Rear 1/4's to suit GTO's
Windscreen rubbers for GA-GD sedans and wagons and GTO's
GC/GD hardtop grills and grill badges
GC/GD hardtop windscreens
I'd be keen on a hardtop windscreen, although I'm a little worried about pulling my old one out of the coupe. I'd hate to see the condition of the steel underneath, I'm not ready to overhaul the body yet :\
Any idea what he's asking for them?
1975 GC Galant Hardtop - 4G63 DOHC - Version 3.0 coming soon.
http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=485
A112H

Post by A112H »

Not sure on any pricing yet but I will post all his details once I am convinced the lights are in good condition. I would hate to pass on a number and the stuff is no good.
astronturbo77
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by astronturbo77 »

whats his details? phone number? would be keen on a coupe of coupe grilles
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay guys, got my nice new shiney tail lights and they are perfect, NOS as described. All STANLEY numbers are present and correct.
As I mentioned above this guy has a heap of stuff in storage and available to him to suit our cars including 16L's and GTO's.

His name is Phil and he is a really cool bloke to chat with. His website used to mainly do Mazda stuff but in his years of searching for rare Mazda bits he has found a lot of old Mitsu stuff too.
Check his website below and give him a call
http://www.philsrotarys.com.au/
woops

Post by woops »

Are you sure he had the galant coupe windscreens and grill? I went down there about a week ago to check out what things he had and the guy behind the counter said that they only had the windscreen rubbers. Although this was the same guy who said that they and had also sold out of the tail lights although looking through their racks I saw one set still on the shelves. I did see some mazda and datsun grills on shelf there but not much at all for the mitsubishi stuff. Although they do look as though they have a fair bit of stuff out the back which I didn't have access to at all. Maybe the guy i was talking to just didn't know much at all and there were a couple of other people working there.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Dunno woops, I spoke to Phil for about an hour and he has a lot of stuff in storage both here and Japan. He definently said he could get hardtop windscreens, I am pretty sure he said $220 but people will need to call him to confirm.
I think if you call you will need to ask for Phil as it sounds like some of the other guys there might not know what he has in storage or has access to.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so finally managed to get an RDO today :) I will be doing lots of shed stuff so stay tuned :P
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

Like putting my coupe back together ready for the move? (H)
A112H

Post by A112H »

Something like that, lol

Got some stuff from Rare Spares
Side window joiner rubbers
L/H gaurd lower replacement panel
A112H

Post by A112H »

I didn't get much done today, lol.
I spent most of the day putting the spare hardtop back together for Hotwire to collect on the 13th.
It is all ready to go now and looks pretty good.

But I did get a chance to take a pic of my new bits I have collected over the last few weeks.
NOS Tail lights and interior light and a new facet pump.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

nice jason, not only does hotwire get my coupe, but also takes my pictures i took and mods them to :(

nice way to rub it in guys.

BAN :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
:P
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
A112H

Post by A112H »

lol, sorry about the hardtop mate, but it had to go. As for the pic I can not control that :P
Your hardtop time will come mate and when it does I know you will impress us all. It is a shame we couldn't work it out but shit happens :thumpsup:
Hotwire

Post by Hotwire »

:$

interestingly, when you google white coupe, your's was the only decent pic worth making a photoshop out of so you should take it as flattery as to a nice shot of your old coupe....

As for this one, it will get a good home, and its own build thread in good time