My GC Hardtop project

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
geezer101

Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by geezer101 »

Gee, you got that in quick! Noticed you've deleted the recesses for the indicators on your guards- what's the plan?
A112H

Post by A112H »

No messing around, lol
I just never liked the look of the guard mounted indicators so thought I would delete them. Gives it a smoother look that I was after.
webby

Post by webby »

I think it'd look better if you kept the bright colours to a minimum, black block, unpainted head, crinkle red cam cover? White bay would be good too, makes it easy to spot any leaks :P
That's the way I'd do it anyway.

Still, should look pretty ace :)
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

cant wait to see this finished :) hurry up! haha :thumpsup:
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
A112H

Post by A112H »

Got my brand new redline manifold today, cheers Scott :thumpsup:

Might have a go at polishing it and the rocker cover over the weekend. But will probably get stuck into the gear box and shifter fitment.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

how much did the manifold cost ya jason?
A112H

Post by A112H »

PM sent ;-)
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

Might have a go at polishing it and the rocker cover over the weekend. But will probably get stuck into the gear box and shifter fitment.
manifold looks good :thumpsup: and i do like the look of polished up rocker covers, done a couple of them my self in the past
and half way through polishing this one possibly for my turbo motor, dunno yet :roll:

cant wait to see this thing on a cruise :thumpsup:

M.B :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

That looks sweet, think I will give it a go.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

yeah i polished one to and liked the look of it.
A112H

Post by A112H »

84GKSIG wrote:
manifold looks good :thumpsup: and i do like the look of polished up rocker covers, done a couple of them my self in the past
and half way through polishing this one possibly for my turbo motor, dunno yet :roll:

cant wait to see this thing on a cruise :thumpsup:

I have had a go at polishing it but my polishing wheel on my grinder is too small and it is annoying, think I will get someone to polish it for me :D
I have decided not to polish the manifold as it matches the head, just polish everything that bolts to it.

Where did you get that oil cap from 84GKSIG? I had a look around for one and all the ones I saw were ribbed like mine, I like the look of the smooth one.

Anyway, I am getting the gearbox tomorrow morning so should have that all fitted up by lunchtime, gotta cut a hole in the floor.
Heading off to UPI in the morning to grab a heap of bolts, some Magna V6 injectors and a starter motor.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

with the oil cap, I * believe* ( someone can correct me if im wrong ) that it is the original oil cap for the GH turbo? difference between the 2 is this one appears to be a 3 piece cap with a rubber seal and is much harder to pull out apposed to just the solid one piece cap , I think that was done to stop the cap flying off due to more blow by while boosting? all I know is that all the stock turbo gh engines ive seen personally have that rocker cover oil cap, only ever seen 2 lol :thumpsup:

my turbo engine

TR11KYs GH turbo engine

random one off the net that looks to have a custom manifold? maybe just an astron one carby intake manifold with an adapter?

but they all have that cap :think:
A112H

Post by A112H »

Cheers for that, I just think they look a bit smoother
kenvv

Post by kenvv »

i want my vr4 rocker cover looking that shiny. the red is all chipped and flaky so looks ugly. any particular way of polishing them? was thinking just wire wheel on a drill to remove the paint but unsure of polishing techniques
vrooooom vrooooom!!
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

A112H wrote:Where did you get that oil cap from 84GKSIG? I had a look around for one and all the ones I saw were ribbed like mine, I like the look of the smooth one.
That cap is the standard cap of a chain drive Saturn. The ribbed ones were for Astrons 1's.
The Galant ones have a problem with the rubber seal gasket shrinking (then they rattle around and leak oil, or blow off). The Astron 1 cap is a tighter fit in an Astron rocket cover so anyone with a little bit of blow by who doesn't want to make a bracket to hold their cap on then it's the way to go. A new Saturn cap should be alright though?

Here's one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/chrysler-gal ... 2a111395ec

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
A112H

Post by A112H »

Just a quick update.
Got my narrow Jap box on Sunday, cheers Cottee's :thumpsup:
That will be fully cleaned up and painted over this weekend.
I also have the basic specs for my engine; Astron II Magna block fitted with a Astron I 2.0lt shaved head, flat tops, balance shafts removed, big cam, double valve springs, 3 angle valve grind, electronic dizzy. It is apparently running about 10 - 10.5:1 Can anyone confirm this?
I have put the feelers out there for some quad throttle body set ups, I was suprised how many companies do them.
Can anyone offer me a good size for the ITB's? 40mm, 45mm? I really have no idea (H)
Should get my Microtech MT4 after the 15th so will be looking to get the ITB's shortly after that, it will be close to running by then. I DO NOT BELIEVE IT, driving is a fair way off but I am getting excited :lol:
Last week I took a trip to UPI and scored some V6 Magna yellow top injectors, I reckon these should be okay, might need some bigger ones later. Maybe the blue 2.6 ones might be better. 2.6 divided by 4 = 0.65 and 3.5 div 6 = 0.5833, I guess this means the 2.6 injectors will flow more???
Scored a smooth cap off of 84GKSIG, thanks mate :thumpsup:
I have also scored some sweet parts from Affa that I will reveal when they arrive.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

kenvv wrote:i want my vr4 rocker cover looking that shiny. the red is all chipped and flaky so looks ugly. any particular way of polishing them? was thinking just wire wheel on a drill to remove the paint but unsure of polishing techniques
Don't wire wheel it man, it'll munch holes everywhere! Paint strip it and wet ad dry it with a sanding block (or better, give it to me and I'll polish @#$% out of it!) :thumpsup:
A112H

Post by A112H »

How much geezer? I tried to polish mine but lost interest in like 5 minutes, lol
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

That depends on how mental you want it to look. I'm currently polishing (stuffing around) with a 2L manifold that I'm file finishing. I've probably spent 10 hours on it and it's nowhere near finished. PM me if you're genuine (p.s. I won't scalp you for it- not my style...) ;-)
A112H

Post by A112H »

PM sent
I am thining of leaving the head and manifold 'raw' and polishing everything that bolts on, rocker cover, thermo housing and such.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

PM replied! :P
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey jason,hows the beast coming along? when are you thinking of coming to melbourne?
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

When the Galants finished, so maybe 2016, lol.
Nah, the plan is to have it done around October I reckon so maybe sometime around Xmas maybe Easter.
ISKA8

Post by ISKA8 »

hey jason,let me know when you guys decide to have a cruise and ill make my way down there :thumpsup: ..like to the face behind the name and also the other members too.. :D
1984 SIGMA GK GSR (was EFI TURBO 10psi 194.0kw atw ) N/A head & cam
*1991 VN SS 5spd...HI COMP HEAD & CAM
2004 MITSUBISHI EXPRESS BIG RIG MOBILE DETAILING 0414017857!
MY NEW TOY F6310
A112H

Post by A112H »

The mullet is gone, lmao
No worries mate, would be fantastic to get a close up look at the black beauty
A112H

Post by A112H »

Okay, so I just got a phone call from RPW and found out some interesting information.
Basically the ITB's are out, apparently they are a pig to tune and once they are tuned they will hold that tune for about 4 minutes, lol. They are great for drags or track work where they will see between 80 and 100% throttle usage. So any sort of street driving will be nasty and not great.
They recommended twin 45mm side draught webers, will get about the same hp and hold tune really well.
So the hunt is on for some webers.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

computer controlled multipoint injected throttle bodies fall out of tune? :wut:
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

maybe the computer runs on windows? :p
A112H

Post by A112H »

Dunno guys, I am only going on what I have been told, ITB's are new to me.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

BlueThunder wrote:Re: My GC Hardtop project

Post by BlueThunder » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:54 pm
maybe the computer runs on windows? :p
LOL :lol: