Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
GB_BB4C

Re: Cottees' Sigma GN Build

Post by GB_BB4C »

Cottees wrote:All was going ok, all the bolts were tightening properly, then came the last 2 smaller bolts at the front of the head. I stupidly assumed they would need the same tightness as the other larger bolts. This resulted in one of them snapping and falling into the timing chain cover.
I think we'll put that down to 40+ degree heat affecting you'r jugement. Your very keen working on the car in this heat, but if ya want it running that's what ya have to do.
Would be good to see it out on a cruise sometime soon.... How long till ya think it'll be running?
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

It wasn't too hot under the car port where the Sigma was, but it was still a stupid mistake. Just replacing the timing chain cover will fix it. It shouldn't take too long to get it running, but it is just finding the time, and finding time when I can step outside without baking. I am aiming to get it up and running by the end of February at the latest. I have plenty to get done like getting all the wiring and hoses sorted, install the petrol pump, etc. I'll also need to do another U-Pull-it run cause I want a set of roller rockers, and now have to get a replacement timing chain cover. But I might leave U-Pull-it for a couple weeks.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have test fitted the extended loom into the Sigma, and it reaches further into the cabin now.

It is long enough to mount it near the centre console.

Most of the wiring in the engine bay is now done.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looking good mate, thats a very neat place for the ecm.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I went shopping at Super Cheap Auto and Auto Bahn today to get some degreaser, fuse box and some tools to get the crank pulley off. When I was at Super Cheap, I asked 2 of the employees if they had any breaker bars, and they had no idea what I was talking about. That is why I ended up at Auto Bahn.

This is how I eventually got the pulley off. More discussion about it was here : http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3556

Got the pulley off, and it was easier than what the manual said it would be.

Since I had to get the catch tray out, I thought I'd give it and the pulley a clean.

Once I got the grease and crap off the catch tray, I saw that one of the prev owners had hit something with it, and the tray was bent. I might as well replace it with a non-bent one instead of continuing to clean this one.

I have almost finished the modding of the Magna loom, and have a small blade type fuse box I am going to wire in between some of the connections between the Magna and Sigma looms. The connection to A3 on the ECU is going to use 10A and pin 10 from the Control Relay will use a 20A, as it is like in the Magna. There is also power from the Ignition (On and Start position) to ECU A3 and to the Ignition Coil. I am guessing a 10A will be ok for that. There is another source of power from the Starter Circuit to ECU A8 and Control Relay pin 9, which I'll use a 5A fuse. The Starter Circuit shouldn't draw too much power, but I am not too sure how much the Ignition Coil will draw. I could either test it out, or give the Ignition Coil direct power, and only fuse the ECU connection, or fuse them both together.
Galant_GT0 wrote:Looking good mate, thats a very neat place for the ecm.
I will be getting the bracket that holds the ECU in the Magna next time I am at U-Pull-It, and seeing if I can fit it into that space in the centre console.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

This is the fuse box I am using.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have just about finished the engine loom for the Sigma. Just have to get it into the Sigma.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I ended up just bypassing the fuse for the Ignition Coil.
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Just to throw ya off the whole EFI thing for a minute, you mentioned that when the Magna digital dash is installed you have a clock in that and the origional one from the Sigma aswell. I have the same problem in the GK i am (slowly) working on at the moment. I was reading the wiring diagram's (GK workshop manual) and they were only in the GSR and SE model's. I went to U-Pull-It and have just recently got the Sigma panel without the clock in it. Something for you to think about if ya wanna get rid of it so as to not have two clocks in it.
2* 73 A53 16L Dodge Colt (Plymouth Cricket), 2* 73 GB Galant Sedan's, 1* 74 GB Galant Sedan, 1* 76 VK Valiant Regal,
1* 79 GE SE Sigma Sedan, 1* 81 GH Sigma PWS, 1* 84 GK Sigma SE, 1* 85 GK Sigma GL - Replacing the 84 GK SE, 1* 91 GTO - FOR SALE

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind when I do the wiring for the digital dash.

I put the completed loom into the car. It is a tight fit, and have to do a couple adjustments, but it still fits.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Things left to do so I can get the engine running :
- Remove broken bolt from behind timing chain cover, replace the timing chain cover and 2 front head bolts.
- Mount petrol pump + run wiring for it.
- Put the cam + rockers or roller rockers back into the head. Seal the cam cover gasket.
- Mount the charcoal canister.
- Run the fuel lines.
- Make the throttle body properly clear Injector #4.
- Replace the GN accelerator cable with a longer one from a TR.
- Build a better intake pipe + air box.
- Mount the ECU.
- Mount the radiator back into the car.
- Bolt everything together properly.
- Connect battery back up.
- Hope it starts.

I expect the ECU to throw errors for Knock Sensor and Speedo Circuit, but hopefully that is it. There is no place to screw in the Knock Sensor into the GN block, but I can either find some where to screw in the Knock Sensor, or get one that I can put a bolt through and attach to one bolt to the bottom of the intake where it bolts to the head, and close to where the Knock Sensor in the Magna is. From what I have seen, something like what Nissan uses could work. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might be better than nothing.

Something like this:
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have put together an intake pipe.

Just have a few things to do on it before putting it into the car, and also have to find a way of securing it.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Looking really good now, just a few bits to button it up. When do you think you will be firing it up?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I am aiming to have the Sigma on the road by the end of February, so start up at the latest a week or so before that. The only thing stopping me from cranking it over is a bolt sitting on the timing chain, and the only thing I can think of that is stopping it from running is no fuel pump is installed yet. I hope to get to U-Pull-It to get another timing chain cover, and a set of roller rockers in the next 1-2 weeks.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have finished modding the back plate of the 'Ram-Flo' air filter so it will attach to a Magna stock air flow meter. It isn't the neatest, but it fits. And yes, that is an upside down cordial bottle lid.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have finished drawing a quick wiring diagram of how the Magna and Sigma looms connect to each other.

Last edited by Cottees on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TUFSIG
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by TUFSIG »

you really do like doing things the hard way don't you :P
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

astronturbo77

Post by astronturbo77 »

i think your going to have problems with the way it runs because the airflow meter is further away from the throttle body. just my 2c worth 8-) otherwise good work :D
BUILT NOT BROUGHT BY ALGIE.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

astronturbo77 wrote:i think your going to have problems with the way it runs because the airflow meter is further away from the throttle body.
It *should* be ok since no matter how far (to a point) from the throttle body the air flow sensor is, the same amount of air will be flowing past it. Will defiantly post the results once I finally get to start the engine. That should happen in a couple weeks when I can get a replacement timing chain cover and roller rockers from U-Pull-It. All I have to do now is decide if I should put in a balance shaft removal kit while I have the timing chain cover off. It'll probably delay things again, so I might wait till I convert the engine to force induction. When going force induction, I also have to decide whether to take the Sigma off the road for a while and use the narrow block that is in there at the moment (that has 177k km on it), or get another engine, maybe a wide block, and do a swap when things are finished.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Everything is starting to fit together ok.
webby

Post by webby »

That actually looks pretty neat :thumpsup:
-Josh.
Daily: 7/96 EF Falcon, 4.0 SOHC, BTR95LE, 3.45:1 LSD/Lukey extractors, full 2.5” exhaust, EL intake, Tickford snorkel, 87DA cam, AU injectors, shiftkits.com.au single stage kit. PB 14.93@91mph.
Project: Red '81 Scorpion-http://www.sigma-galant.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11889
leoca

Post by leoca »

Mine will only idle without the , rather bulky, Magna air box.i.e.the plastic box with the filter in it.
Can anyone tell me why?
TUFSIG

Post by TUFSIG »

do you have an air flow sensor hocked up at all leoca?
TUFSIG
Boost Is the Only Way
1984 GK Sigma GSR, 2.6 EFI Turbo
1992 Aus Delivered 3000GT Twin Turbo
1984 GK Sigma GSR Stocka

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

leoca wrote:Mine will only idle without the , rather bulky, Magna air box.i.e.the plastic box with the filter in it.
Can anyone tell me why?
Without the air box, it should be ok, but so long as you have the air flow meter/air temp sender box connected. That is with the stock ECU though, you wouldn't need it with an after market ECU.
leoca

Post by leoca »

TUFSIG wrote:do you have an air flow sensor hocked up at all leoca?
Yes everything is hooked up ,I had a nice HKS pod filter ready for it , no good can't use it.
bit of a mystery but thanks!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

leoca wrote:Yes everything is hooked up ,I had a nice HKS pod filter ready for it , no good can't use it.
bit of a mystery but thanks!
Do you have a Magna service and repair manual? It has in there how to test the air flow meter. Maybe yours is faulty?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Went to U-Pull-It today to get some parts for the Sigma. They were selling this Galant for $1,200. I did take a rear shot, but looks like the file didn't save.

There was also an LA Lancer for parts too.

Ended up finding a GK to get the timing chain cover from, half way through I saw that the right counter balance had a removable cover on it. That wasn't too much of an issue. Then I got the timing chain cover off to see only one chain. At closer inspection, the chain that drives the counter balances and the oil pump had snapped, and ended up in a pile in the sump. The timing chain cover looked ok, and I wasn't about to go looking for another suitable Sigma as it was too bloody hot.

Got everything home and ended up also getting another Cam, some roller rockers, another AC bracket, another crank pulley (I think the one that was on my Sigma only had space for 2 belts, this one has 3) and a stack of badges.

These are the badges I found. I also found a '1400' badge from a Lancer, but can't seem to find it when I got home. I'll probably keep one of each to make castings of, and then sell off the rest.

I cleaned up some of the parts with degreaser and a power water washer.

You can see the damage the broken chain did to the timing cover. It shouldn't cause any problems putting it onto my car.

With the Cam I got, I also found a spec sheet to go with it. The cam has a bit of surface rust, but doesn't look too bad. It is a bit hard to read the sheet, but google helped out:
Crows Cam
Part Number 107704 Lobe Separation 108 Valve Lift
Inlet Opens 18.5 B.T.D.C. Inlet Closes 54.5 A.B.D.C. 0.454
Exhaust Opens 54.5 B.B.D.C. Exhaust Closes 18.5 A.T.D.C. 0.454
Inlet Duration 204 at 0.050 253 Advertised
Exhaust Duration 204 at 0.050 253 Advertised
GB_BB4C

Post by GB_BB4C »

Ya wont be able to use the Crow Cam with Hydraulic lifters or Roller rockers.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

GB_BB4C wrote:Ya wont be able to use the Crow Cam with Hydraulic lifters or Roller rockers.
Oh well, didn't cost me much anyway. What is wrong with that cam + Roller Rockers + Hydraulic Lifters?
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

theyre not made to work with each other, the rollers have a specific cam profile
and the larger cams dont work well with hydraulic lifters, also you might want to get upgraded cam springs aswell to stop valve float.
Insert witty one liner here -->