Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
81GL
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Re: Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR w/Blown 156 Hemi Build

Post by 81GL »

Spot on Billsy.

Man that looks scary, for everyones sake, please do not tow that kinda weight behind these cars :|
-Let alone the damage your probably doing to your chassis lol
Old school Mitsu's, its not a hobby; it's a life style.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The GN is up to around 9,000kms on EFI, and still running well. There has been some minor hiccups, but nothing major. Just like what this update is about. Driving home, and the auto trans decided it didn't want to kick down. When I got home, I pulled out the kick down cable to find this.

Might have to make it out of something a little thicker. If my LC was running, the GN would be off the road getting a manual trans, but oh well, just have to fix one thing, so it isn't too bad.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Hey cottee's, in your random collection of badges do you have a metal 5 speed badge you wanna sell?
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I decided against using the GK GSR badge for the GN, and chose a GSR badge that was closer to the style of the GL badge that it would be replacing. So I used the Lancer CA/CB GSR badge instead.

I have changed my mind on using a KM132, and are going to be using a W58 instead.

The GN will be off the road soon, once I get the LC running 100%. Then I'll be able to start the planning and prep for the SC14 Supercharger.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

The GN has been on and off the road for the past week because of steering issues. As I was going around a right bend, the steering would feel to start turning a little sharper. This got me concerned, so I investigated further. One issue I saw was that the front passenger side wheel hub had grease leaking from behind it. I pulled the hub apart and found it full of grit.

I cleaned out the hub, popped in a near new set of bearings from a Starion, packed it full of grease. Unfortunately that was A problem, but not THE problem. Good that I discovered it early, and not when that wheel was falling off. More poking and prodding, and still nothing. Even checked the rear end, and everything seemed tight, except the power steering pump belt. It seemed a little loose, so tightening it up wouldn't hurt. As I was levering the pump away from the block to create tention in the belt, the pump was not only tilting as it should, but also twisting. Thinking the rear bolt may be loose, I felt at the back of the pump to check. Couldn't find it, so I crawled under the car to take a look, and found this.

The rear bolt was missing completely. I went through all the spares I have, found a suitable bolt, and popped a replacement in. That seemed to do the trick. Took it for a drive around the block, as well as going around a round-about several times, and nothing out of the ordinary happened.
starfire

Post by starfire »

Gidday. I have been following your sigma project with great interest. I have a 81 model and have almost finished fitting a SC14 SC to it, just waiting to weld up the outlet manifold. Its a blow through using the existing carby, home built brackets, pulleys, plenum and BOV. I have designed it so as I can easily convert it to pull through if there are any problems. If someone can tell me how to post photos??? I assume they are put on like photobucket then linked? Im not saying my install will work well, I have yet to try it, but it may be of interest to you or maybe give you ideas for yours.
starfire

Post by starfire »

starfire

Post by starfire »

A quick update. Married up the manifolds today, lit the fire, no carby leaks, all is fine. The BOV works very well, hissing and snorting, relieving the overun. Havent tried a road test until I get some idea of what pressure Im looking at. I may need a flapper valve of some sort to allow the carb unrestricted air when the SC is off. The SC rotates under vacuum when off, this suggests a restricted intake.
75wagon
Admin

Post by 75wagon »

Hey starfire, welcome to the forum mate. Very interesting build you have there, I'll be curious what result you get from this?

Why not start your own build thread on this?

Dave...
If you want any sigma-galant.com stickers, then look here for how to get them sigma-galant.com stickers
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Finally narrowed down the current issue with the GN. She was losing power, and back firing. I thought it was fuel, but ended up being electrical. I reattached all the wires for the fuel pump, replaced the fuel filter, but still problems. Then while testing the car after that, she lost power, I floored it, and it compression ignited. With advice from 84GKSIG I ended up replacing the whole coil assembly. That ended up being the problem. I have a feeling something was dodgy for a while since she'd be gutless till she warmed up, but now, plenty of power from the get go.

Took a vid afterwards of her revving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QbOXHIEj94

Also, I know the engine bay is dirty and will be cleaning it soon.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I have now officially taken the GN off the road :( . A little shy of 30,000kms on EFI too. I have had to take her off the road before completing the fixing of my LC because of electrical issues. When I first did the EFI conversion, I think I might have damaged a couple of the wires near the ECU plugs while feeding them through the hole that leads from the engine bay to the cabin. Having the wiring in the right spot, everything worked perfectly, till lately when the ECU came loose, and I think it has damaged the wiring even more. On the bright side, once the LC is running, then I can prep the GN for the installation of the supercharger.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Haven't done anything on the GN lately, but I did come up with a sticker for the engine bay while crushing some cardboard today.

Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Yesterday 84GKSIG and I went for a drive to pick up some power steering stuff. Ended up at someone's place where they had shelves upon shelves of NOS Mitsi parts. But with the power steering gear, I can fix that part of the GN.

The drive was good, but would have been more fun in the GN or LC.

Today I took the front quarter panel off to pull the loom out. Also can see why it is a good idea to put the plastic inner guard back.

Untaped the place where I extended the loom, and prepped it to get chopped, and a new part of a loom to be soldered.

The problem being was that the dog ate my spare Magna loom. :banh:

Since I can get another loom till Wednesday, I got out the multimeter and went looking for the fault that was causing the car to run badly when the loom was moved. Went through everything, but was unable to find a clear fault.
geezer101

Post by geezer101 »

The dog excuse might have washed once or twice at school Cottees but not here :lol: It looks like your dog had a go at the loom in the GN too - there is some nasty looking stuff going on in there. Good luck hunting down the gremlins
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

There has been some progress with the GN. Slow, but getting there. Pretty much can't find the faulty wire, so taking off the ECU end of the loom, and putting on another.
A112H

Post by A112H »

Where have you been eating dinner for the last month? :P
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

great to hear that Cottees! Nice work!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I was bored the other week and cleaned up the W58's bell housing and painted it.

Another look at the adapter plate. After a good clean, it doesn't look that easy to make.

Moved the Sigma around the back so I could work on it under cover.

Just got a couple more wires to tidy up.

Cleaned up the engine bay and started her up again. Was running smoothly, but is suffering from a rattle when the revs lower.

Took the rocker cover off, and the timing chain is a little slack, so will be doing that before getting it back on the road.
Cottees
Admin

Re: Cottees' 1987 Sigma GN GSR Super Edition

Post by Cottees »

After seeing the decal on the side of the Sigma Scorpion, I thought it would be an idea to put something like that on the GN. So I came up with this:

Scorpma82
Sigma-Galant Police (Global Mod)

Post by Scorpma82 »

Really liking this thread Cottees.

You still doing the blue pin striping in the black trims (instead of red)
If you are, are you planning in painting the grille badge blue as well?
Built with pride, Driven in anger
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Thanks! It is a bloody long thread, but worth reading to know what not to do. Still doing blue on the sides, but will keep the grill badge red. In the process of dismantling the front end of the engine to replace the chains and and guides since the chain is a little tired, and not sure if it was done when it ticked over to 100,000kms. Have that to complete, swap over power steering set ups, and finish tidying up the loom and it'll be back on the road.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

I got some $1 masking tape from Super Cheap Auto, so thought I'd give this a go. Will have to take them all off, clean them up, repaint the whole thing, and re-stick them on, but it's a good test. I still like the blue like this.
GSRSYNDROME

Post by GSRSYNDROME »

nice work with the stripes mate :D i did mine about 6 years ago on my gk as the red looked pinky , i used plastic primer before re-doing the red so far it hasnt come off :D masking them up takes some time but well worth it :thumpsup:
love them save them drive them
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Some more progress pics.

Removed these.

And these too cause they are too worn.

Trying the new chain and guides for size, but the rest of the block is messy.

Much cleaner.

Using a TR/TS oil pump, but the one I had was very dirty with burnt oil. I dismantled it to find it was dirty on the inside.

A bit better.

A little left to go.

Will try and replace the insides since it looks like one of the pump gears is damaged.
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Since the TR oil pump was a little pitted, I decided to replace them with the gears from the GN's pump.

GN Pump with GN gears.
TR pump with GN gears. Since this wouldn't work, I just cleaned up the gears from the TR pump.

Not as clean as I'd want, but it is better than it was.

She's no slacker now!
Cottees
Admin

Post by Cottees »

Some photos from the past couple days. Got a couple bits done since I was away from work sick, and was getting sick of being stuck inside.

Took the rear spoiler off, and the cheap black paint has faded a bit.

A lot of crap collected under the spoiler. The tape I used to line up the holes is still there, and is really stuck now.

Gave it a bit of a sand.

Put down some weather stripping to try and stop crap from getting under the spoiler again.

Tried painting the spoiler with Plasti Dip.

Decided to clean up the bonnet, and didn't realise how dirty the Sigma was.

All clean, but there is a couple dents, so I decided to try out the Plasti Dip on it.

Ended up running out before I finished.

Completed some soldering for the loom inside the car.

Can now put the glove box back in.

Put in a switch and LED to recall ECU error codes.

Was trying to repair a rust spot on the driver's side rear quarter panel, but seems like it was originally a dent, that was pushed back out from the boot. I also noticed that some of the other paint on the rear panel was cracking.

I took the side trim off to continue cleaning and found some bad paint work.

Took off some of the paint and found some bog.

Took some more paint off, and found some more bog or putty filler.

Starting to get dark, so a quick spray of primer till I can fix it properly.
84GKSIG
Admin

Post by 84GKSIG »

:thumpsup:

spoiler actually looks like rubber after being painted with the plasti-dip stuff.