Billit Flywheel

Post your build topics here! This is for restorations only.
cheaterparts

Billit Flywheel

Post by cheaterparts »

As I am making another Flywheel atm and as a matter of interest I thought I would run you through the job

first thumb - a basic chunk of 4140 steel with a new ring gear
not that interesting but it what I start with

again not that interesting but again the start of the machining

this thumb is starting to look like a flywheel - with the counter bore for the crank mounting
and the ring gear mounts machined ready to turn around and machine the front face

front face machined with the face counter bored and tapered for the bolt heads
the outside dia is also finished - time to turn it to the back again

material is carved out of the back to reduce weight - I weighed it at this stage and it went
4.75 Kg ( 10 1/2 pound ) of cause there is another 1 Kg in the ring gear ( 2.2 pound ) still to be fitted

next part of the job is on the mill - so as you can see I run a cutter from the outside edge to where the fiction plate surface finishes these 12 cuts remove about .7 Kg ( 1 1/2 pound )
from the out side edge

the last jobs to do are drill and tap to bolt up the presure plate with of cause the dowels
fit the ring gear and have it balanced

I'll post pics of the finish item soon
cheater
rob440

Re: Billit Flywheel

Post by rob440 »

excellent post.
GC75
Admin

Post by GC75 »

nice work (H)
Previous owner of a GC Coupe, a few GSRS and random Sigmas.
Converted to the Ultimate Driving Machines
SIR

Post by SIR »

That is looking nice cheaterparts nice and light too, the engine should rev up nicey. Pity all of your hard work will be hidden behind a bellhousing.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

Very nice..

I was going to ask how it compared in weight to the Fidanza racing flywheel in the US, but then I noticed you already weighed it :$

Their's measures up at 12lb

Have you considered having a removeable/replaceable friction surface?

Either way, top effort :thumpsup:
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

Billsy

Post by Billsy »

nice one :D

makes me wish i had more toys like that lathe and a mill to play with
Insert witty one liner here -->
Superscan811

Post by Superscan811 »

DragonCypher wrote:I was going to ask how it compared in weight to the Fidanza racing flywheel in the US, but then I noticed you already weighed it :$
My brother designs flywheels and multi-plate clutches for NPC Performance. He "DISLIKES INTENTLY" aluminium flywheels, and as Cheater will tell you, you can make a flywheel in 4140 just as light as an aluminium one.
DragonCypher wrote:Have you considered having a removeable/replaceable friction surface?
(In my honest opinion)
This would just add to the weight of the flywheel, add several weak point and/or points of failure.
It would just be better to decide and build a thicker/heavier flywheel to start with rather than have a "gimmicky" replaceable surface, if that is what you are after.
Cheaters flywheels are made very light for a reason, having them "FULLY SERVICEABLE" I don't believe is one of those reasons.

Cheers.
DragonCypher

Post by DragonCypher »

I see your point, and the less there is to break the better I guess :P

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but is 4140 the 'chromoly' material used in rollcages?
Because if thats true I can DEFINITELY see why its better than aluminium
'81 GJ Scorp: Donated to a mate for a 2JZ Turbo project.
'84 Honda VT250F Integra: Daily transport, mountain racer and track bitch all in one.. damn slow in a straight line though
Future Project (on hold until I move to Melbourne in July): 2.6L Wideblock Astron 2 - Eaton M90 supercharger, draw through 45DCOE Weber.

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

DragonCypher wrote:Very nice..

Have you considered having a removeable/replaceable friction surface?
by the time the flywheel is finished it should weigh about 5 Kg ( 11 pound ) with the ring gear fitted

and as the flywheel is already steel theres no need to fit a friction surface in fact you will find the aly flywheels like fidanza with have a 4140 or 4340 friction surface
DragonCypher wrote:I see your point, and the less there is to break the better I guess :P

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but is 4140 the 'chromoly' material used in rollcages?
Because if thats true I can DEFINITELY see why its better than aluminium
moly tube is 4340 - but 4140 is also a good tough alloy steel used a lot in pins and bushes in earth moving
Billsy wrote:nice one :D

makes me wish i had more toys like that lathe and a mill to play with
its good to have the TIG as well for those little aluminium welding jobs - boy its good to have the 3 phase power on
cheater
rob440

Post by rob440 »

Hi cheaterparts
can/would you make another one? If so how much. I live in Brisbane.

this is my current flyywheel :z

Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

DragonCypher wrote:Very nice..

I was going to ask how it compared in weight to the Fidanza racing flywheel in the US, but then I noticed you already weighed it :$

I have one of these on my turbo motor, Im very happy with it sofar. I chose it as it was an off the shelf light weight flywheel that runs a larger clutch again than the sigmas. as the late model starions went up in size again, and even with big HP I can get away with a nice street-able, slip-able, clutch setup (no puck clutch) My pressure plate is a little on the heavy side tho.

But ill be going with a cheater steel one for the track car, I want a smaller clutch and flywheel, Even if it was the same weight as the alloy one, it will rev up a lot faster if its smaller diameter!
Billsy

Post by Billsy »

cheaterparts wrote:
its good to have the TIG as well for those little aluminium welding jobs - boy its good to have the 3 phase power on
well i do have an AC/DC tig. so far the best shed toy ive bought, close followed by a decent choice of air tools :)
just no room for the larger things like a lathe etc..
Insert witty one liner here -->
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

rob440 wrote:Hi cheaterparts
can/would you make another one? If so how much. I live in Brisbane.

this is my current flyywheel :z

PM sent
Billsy wrote: well i do have an AC/DC tig. so far the best shed toy ive bought, close followed by a decent choice of air tools :)
just no room for the larger things like a lathe etc..
room is always an issue my 11 mt x 6 mt shed has srunk since the man size toys moved in
Rallyant wrote: But ill be going with a cheater steel one for the track car, I want a smaller clutch and flywheel, Even if it was the same weight as the alloy one, it will rev up a lot faster if its smaller diameter!
with maybe a tilton 7 1/4" race clutch
cheater
amgis_obrut

Post by amgis_obrut »

and the price is??? lol
GH Sigma, 16" Mesh wheels, sports steering wheel and a V8 exhaust
Rallyant
Location: Ringwood, Melbourne, (Newport Syd atm) & Seychelles

Post by Rallyant »

cheaterparts wrote:
Rallyant wrote: But ill be going with a cheater steel one for the track car, I want a smaller clutch and flywheel, Even if it was the same weight as the alloy one, it will rev up a lot faster if its smaller diameter!
with maybe a tilton 7 1/4" race clutch
Exactly :)
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

amgis_obrut wrote:and the price is??? lol
for the flywheel or clutch

the clutch is cheaper I think I paid $ 160 for a second hand 3 plate tilton from the states ( Ebay )
then machined it to a single plate - fitted a 26 spline centre to one of the 3 friction plates
- a single plate will hold 300 ft pound or an engine doing 300 hp @ 5252 rpm
when I go turbo later on I was going to change it to a twin plate they are good for 600 ft pound or (300 hp @ 2626 rpm) (600 hp @ 5252)

but of cause these race clutches arn't a fun street clutch they are a bit like a light switch
ether on of off
cheater
TR11KY

Post by TR11KY »

awesome thread cheater thanks heaps for sharing it with us!

So spill the beans how much for a lightened flywheel from cheater mate?

4130 chromoly tubing is what we always used in bikes and rollcages so i can appreciate the quality in the 4140 product being basically the same. Light weight and super strong. EPIC WIN!
Factory Sigma Turbo #445 - TR11KY
220rwkw @ 15psi daily driver/project

Factory Sigma Turbo #500
under restoration
cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts »

cheaterparts wrote: the last jobs to do are drill and tap to bolt up the presure plate with of cause the dowels
fit the ring gear and have it balanced

I'll post pics of the finish item soon

after milling the outside edge the flywheel is set up on a rotary table and drilled and tapped for the presure plate bolts and drilled for the dowels

finished flywheel back from the balancers

being fully machined there is not a lot of out of balance 3 small holes around edge

total weight 5.06 Kg ( 11.14 Lbs ) that include the presure plate bolts
and with the weight removed from the outter edge they even feel like they are lighter
to drive
cheater
brendon

Post by brendon »

Can this flywheel be used with the wide block 4g54 (is they a difference?), as I'd like to keep the wide block to run the rx7 gearbox combo
83' GJ wagon
82' GK Scorp (Track car)
08' Turbo territory